The West End

gs3

When they bought that building, there had been talk of a renovation. Someone also posted a that a small parcel next to the tracks and the Shoeless Joe Musuem would have condos, similiar to Brick Street, I think.

I eagerly await news on this one. Hopefully, it will be as dense and attractive as the Fieldhouse project.

Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

When they bought that building, there had been talk of a renovation. Someone also posted a that a small parcel next to the tracks and the Shoeless Joe Musuem would have condos, similiar to Brick Street, I think.

That building has served a variety of functions over the years, including medical offices. I can see C. Dan redeveloping it to catch the rising market near the ball park.

Someone needs to buy those run-down buildings across from the Brick St. Lofts (corner of Augusta and Bradshaw). Dunno if the buildings could be saved, but it's a great location with hundreds of folks walking by on their way to the ballpark.

The renovation of this office building (its exterior, at least) and redevelopment of this parcel around it is something that has been more-or-less in the works since the ballpark itself was under construction, if not prior to that. There certainly is a lot of potential on that block.

Someone needs to buy those run-down buildings across from the Brick St. Lofts (corner of Augusta and Bradshaw). Dunno if the buildings could be saved, but it's a great location with hundreds of folks walking by on their way to the ballpark.

I agree 100%! :thumbsup: Great location(s) for a few brew pubs and restaurants, all with outdoor patio seating. :shades:

There is a new event space opening up at 924 Sout Main Street around December of this year called Zen. It use to be a storage space for a local artisit, but he is converting it into a modern, elegant event space. They are allowing any caterer to use their fully equipped kitchen. This should be a great addition to downtown; allowing a lot of variety caterers/restaurants into the west end. The space will have three separate rooms and an outdoor Japanese garden. Can't wait to see the end results!

Is this what we heard about probably a year or so ago? A unique and rent-able event space near the ballpark...? I had forgotten about it quite frankly. I hope it becomes a widely used asset to the West End.

That must be what you are thinking about. I hope it does well too.

Just found out it will be over 12,000 sq feet! The artisit is going to still use part of it as his studio. Will see if I can get some pics eventually.

• 1 month later...

This looks kind of neat: The West End Association is looking to install tiles in the sidewalk of the West End, both on Main and Augusta Streets. They will reflect the history and culture of the West End.

You can check out the application being presented to the DPC, which includes sketches (of poor quality, IMO) and details on their locations here: West End Sidewalks

Items depicted will include Chicora College, Furman University, Falls Cottage, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Trolleys, Trains, Cherokee, Camperdown Mills, and Wilson Cooke.

This looks kind of neat: The West End Association is looking to install tiles in the sidewalk of the West End, both on Main and Augusta Streets. They will reflect the history and culture of the West End.

You can check out the application being presented to the DPC, which includes sketches (of poor quality, IMO) and details on their locations here: West End Sidewalks

Items depicted will include Chicora College, Furman University, Falls Cottage, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Trolleys, Trains, Cherokee, Camperdown Mills, and Wilson Cooke.

Well I certainly learned some history from reading through these. Cool idea. :thumbsup:

Well I certainly learned some history from reading through these. Cool idea. :thumbsup:

It is a cool idea. However, I hope the text is run past some historians before they are placed. Some errors I noticed are:

It says, "Chicora merged with Queens College, located in Charlotte, NC, in 1915."

Correction: Chicora initially merged with Queens College in Columbia, SC in 1915 and subsequently moved to Charlotte to become Queens University.

It says, "It has been a tailor's shop, a cobbler's shop, a school and a gas station." "Falls Cottage was built in 1838 by George Dyer."

Correction: This has been a controversial issue over the years. I believe this information above (which was published in the Greenville Magazine in the 1970s or 80s) has been discredited and the cottage was built c.1896 by W.E. Touchstone, who was supervisor at the Camperdown Mill across the river. It was a gas station for many years, but I question the tailor's shop, cobbler's shop and school.

It says, "The mill was also known as Vardry Mill." "...built 1873"

Correction: This is misleading because the tile says Camperdown Mills--seeming to indicate both (2) of the Camperdown mills on the river. The first one was built in 1874 by Sampson and Hall below the lower falls (the ruins from this mill are still there). They built their second mill next to the upper falls, which is the one shown in the drawing. That mill was named "Camperdown No. 2" and the 1874 mill was re-named "Camperdown No. 1". In 1906, Luther McBee resurrected the closed mill on the lower falls and re-named it the Vardry Mill. So, the mill pictured on the tile was not built in 1873 (it was built in 1876) and it was not the Vardry Mill (it was the Camperdown No. 2 Mill).

It says, "The first location was Augusta and Church Streets. The land for Furman University was purchased by Vardry McBee for $3,750."

Correction: The first location for Furman was not on August and Church. It was the tract of land bordered by what is now Church and University Ridge. There was no Church Street there when Furman first came (it terminated near McBee Ave. back then). Vardy McBee OWNED the land and sold it to Furman for $7,500--half of what it was worth. It was this great price that help Furman to decide to move here.

There are some serious errors here, so I hope that it will be reviewed. I will make some calls to see that they are.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there not a general West End thread, instead of this construction themed one?

Anyway, The Warehouse Theater is expanding its scope beyond just theater. Stand up comedy and music will be added to the line up, according to The Greenville News.

Savas also decided to team up with Smiley's Acoustic Caf

• 2 weeks later...

This is perfect for a good live music/club setup, so I was disappointed that the plans for Ten fell through. I have no idea what is going on here, but am curious to learn more.

Citylife, do you know anything about this or the work in the vacant lot next to it or the old bar they just tore down today? New pumps are going in at the citco too, now if they would just tear down and rebuild the store!