The West End

gs3

Gentrification has pushed deeper into West End than I realized. I had thought any new residential stopped at Dunbar and didn't cross it. Found several examples today of new housing on Anderson Street (and other side streets) southwest of Dunbar. The area still has a long way to go, but good to see this kind of infill. :thumbsup:

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

WOW! I can't believe I've never seen these...

Are these around Pendleton West?

Much deeper into the West End. Headed out of town, turn left off Main/Pendleton onto Anderson Street. Go by Pendleton West until you get to Dunbar. Cross Dunbar, go several more blocks.

Approximately here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Greenvil...;geocode=STREET

Much deeper into the West End. Headed out of town, turn left off Main/Pendleton onto Anderson Street. Go by Pendleton West until you get to Dunbar. Cross Dunbar, go several more blocks.

Approximately here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Greenvil...;geocode=STREET

You're right, that is deep in the West End!

Thanks for the link, by the way!

Edited by GvilleSC

Zen looks impressive from what they've submitted to the City.

Check it out here: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...hMainStreet.pdf

This will be a great addition to the West End. Though they are comparing themselves to other venues in Greenville, but I'm not sure we currently have anything that truly compares. I look forward to their opening!

I think this has the possibility of really straining parking in the West End. Fortunately people seem to have really embraced the County Square parking for the Drive games, but with more restaurants opening, event space, and simply the ever-growing popularity of downtown, we could really use a parking structure closer to Fluor Field than Riverplace...

Anybody Know what happened to Latitude restaurant near Falls Park, across from Pomegranate? Obviously they went out of business. That's a prime location. Guess I could have put this in the Restaurant thread. But maybe a new restaurant will go in it's place. I had never been to Latitude was the food/service good?

Anybody Know what happened to Latitude restaurant near Falls Park, across from Pomegranate? Obviously they went out of business. That's a prime location. Guess I could have put this in the Restaurant thread. But maybe a new restaurant will go in it's place. I had never been to Latitude was the food/service good?

The inside of the building where Latitude was located is being renovated so it looks like something should be going in its place fairly soon.

I hear that Thaicoon Ricefire is opening a location there.

That is too bad about Latitude. I consider it part of the original handful of nicer restaurants that took a chance on our urban core (and in their case, the West End). It is interesting to think about how far outside of the main activity areas they were at first, and now that location is a great one. I only ate there a time or two, but loved the exposed brick inside and views of Falls Park. Most of all, I will miss the mannequin leaning on the window, looking out on Main Street. That was so cool in a quirky, almost creepy way. Loved it! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to Thaicoon Ricefire if they are indeed moving into that space. I ate at the one near Furman once, and was not impressed (especially after hearing how good it was supposed to be).

That is too bad about Latitude. I consider it part of the original handful of nicer restaurants that took a chance on our urban core (and in their case, the West End). It is interesting to think about how far outside of the main activity areas they were at first, and now that location is a great one. I only ate there a time or two, but loved the exposed brick inside and views of Falls Park. Most of all, I will miss the mannequin leaning on the window, looking out on Main Street. That was so cool in a quirky, almost creepy way. Loved it! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to Thaicoon Ricefire if they are indeed moving into that space. I ate at the one near Furman once, and was not impressed (especially after hearing how good it was supposed to be).

Latitude did a great Asparagus soup. Yum. Will miss that, as well their Screwdrivers (they used really good fresh oranges).

Thaicoon Ricefire will be a welcome addition, but the original Thaicoon location on North was slightly better for some reason. Sames recipes. :dontknow:

I don't think anybody has mentioned this yet, I apologize if so. An entire face lift is happening to the building that Artista used to be in, next to PSB church at the end of S Main. Cox photography is still operating in the rear of the building during construction. I believe he still owns the building but might have partnered with some new people who are now doing the renovations.

Looks like it's going to be several new store fronts on Main and on Perry. Pretty Cool!

Anybody have further news on who might be coming in? I'll try to see what I can find too.

3259744207_2325eb28fb.jpg

Edited by westendlvn

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the indoor putt putt golf in West End? Did it ever open? :dontknow: Everytime I've gone by it isn't opened. There is no sign. I've peeked in and lights are on, there is a carpet golf course there. Nothing has been done to the front of the building. Seems to be a poorly done project.
The inside looks pretty decent, definitely not upscale, but certainly family-friendly. Appears to have seating with small tables, possibly good for youth to gather and "hang out," although I am not in favor of kids being out without immediate parental/guardian supervision.

• 4 weeks later...

An application has been submitted to the City for a liquor store in the empty storefront next to what I believe will house the Cuban restaurant. The City has recommended denial, but the committee may grant a special exception. While it would be great to have another storefront filled, what are you guys' thoughts? There's a liquor store two blocks behind this parcel on Academy.

An application has been submitted to the City for a liquor store in the empty storefront next to what I believe will house the Cuban restaurant. The City has recommended denial, but the committee may grant a special exception. While it would be great to have another storefront filled, what are you guys' thoughts? There's a liquor store two blocks behind this parcel on Academy.

I have no problem with it, and do not see why the city has recommended denial of this. Are they, like some individuals, assuming that it will bring "riff raff" to the area and immediately transform the West End into a district of all night partying, sex in the streets, etc.? :rolleyes:

[rant]I wonder how many people who have vehemently supported personal property rights in other situations (e.g., those who stood behind the landowner who had his land taken from him by imminent domain for part of the RiverPlace development) are equally as willing to support private property rights when it involves a liquor store. Hopefully all of them are, but you and I both know that is not the case. And that is the type of hypocrisy I hate. [/rant]

For what it's worth, in addition to the liquor store on Academy, there is also a liquor store at Falls and Broad (which was going to be incorporated into the Tower at Falls and Broad, for those who remember that proposed highrise).

Edited by Greenville

I will say this: from the look of the online document, it looks like the owners have ownership of the adjacent grassy field and are including it in the application. If they plan on using that for a parking lot (fronting Main), then I'm absolutely against the proposal. If this store is not one that is for pedestrians, then it should not be considered. People looking at developing retail establishments that front any pedestrian-oriented street need to be sure that their customers will be passing by on foot or able to park and walk to the location from a public parking space. There's no way we should see a store that expects its patrons to be driving.

The owners of that lot need to realize its development potential.

The inside looks pretty decent, definitely not upscale, but certainly family-friendly. Appears to have seating with small tables, possibly good for youth to gather and "hang out," although I am not in favor of kids being out without immediate parental/guardian supervision.

You think that no one under 18 should be out without parent/guardian supervision, or do you mean kids under, say...15? Just curious, my friends and I used to walk around downtown all the time by ourselves, especially when we could drive. Ever since I remember downtown has always been a safe place to hang out and we have never had problems. I know there are some kids/teens who don't know how to behave, but why not deal with them accordingly just as you would an adult who can't behave? I'm just not a fan of punishing everyone because of a few who can't control themselves. (and this is where I could get into the skate/longboarding thing again...)

Maybe you're like my parents, who would say it's not me they worry about, but other crazy people out there. (wait, they still tell me that!) Luckily there are usually a lot of people downtown including police, and with cell phones and all it's easy to stay in touch. I think just about every kid over 10 has one. I am NOT saying, however, that middle-school aged kids should be out running around...i'm not that crazy. High school kids should be mature enough to hang out downtown and behave. If they can't their parents/guardians should have to take a parenting class because they obviously failed. In the end it should be the parent/guardian decision to let their kids out or not and I can certainly respect that decision. There were plenty of times I was told "no".

Sorry for the long post, this isn't really a rant...was just bored of american idol and had a few things to say!

Well, it's not an all out movie theater, but an article on Greenvilleonline discusses a couple's plans to open a screening place for classic movies, documentaries, etc. It's a step in the right direction. West End Movies will sit near Falls Park.

Check out more here: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../903070308/1003