The West End

gs3

Well, it's not an all out movie theater, but an article on Greenvilleonline discusses a couple's plans to open a screening place for classic movies, documentaries, etc. It's a step in the right direction. West End Movies will sit near Falls Park.

Check out more here: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../903070308/1003

This is a great idea. I can definitely see the appeal of something like this, especially in the more artsy vibe of the West End. Very creative idea.

However, I was excited until I reached the end of the article and saw this quote:

"And unlike major theater chains, West End Movies, won't have the typical theater seats. People will sit on foldable outdoor camping chairs, beanbags, and other furniture they can move around in. Popcorn, water, soda and candies will also be available."

I was hoping for a classic interior that perhaps paid homage to the furniture and decorations of the 30s, 40s, and 50s, but instead it sounds like it will merely consist of a bunch of crap for people to sit on. Seriously, folding chairs and bean bags?!? What's next, Old Milwaukee Light beer for sale in cans? Can I wear my trucker hat too?

This is a great idea. I can definitely see the appeal of something like this, especially in the more artsy vibe of the West End. Very creative idea.

However, I was excited until I reached the end of the article and saw this quote:

"And unlike major theater chains, West End Movies, won't have the typical theater seats. People will sit on foldable outdoor camping chairs, beanbags, and other furniture they can move around in. Popcorn, water, soda and candies will also be available."

I was hoping for a classic interior that perhaps paid homage to the furniture and decorations of the 30s, 40s, and 50s, but instead it sounds like it will merely consist of a bunch of crap for people to sit on. Seriously, folding chairs and bean bags?!? What's next, Old Milwaukee Light beer for sale in cans? Can I wear my trucker hat too?

Seriously - why not just ask for permission do year-round outdoor movies in the park? This seating arrangement seems a bit absurd to me.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Seriously - why not just ask for permission do year-round outdoor movies in the park? This seating arrangement seems a bit absurd to me.
I'll second that motion! Just work it out around other events. Of course, there are so many legal issues with public motion picture screenings that it may be very difficult to "open" it up on such a regular basis. Nonetheless, I would love to see the moonlight movies extended throughout the warm months. Two months just isn't enough, in my opinion - not that I am complaining about such a fantastic annual series of events. :thumbsup:

from the looks of this, its just sad...i could do this in my living room. Really, a pull down screen and projector they probably bought at best buy, what's next some metal folding chairs and a hotplate cooking jiffy pop? I expect this to fail and fail quickly, they even said the stuff they will be showing you can see on video or cable. Now if someone were to open a proper theater with 2 or 3 screens and show classic films as well as new release indy films, that could work. but this...no, just no. at least they wont be losing a whole lot of money in this.

from the looks of this, its just sad...i could do this in my living room. Really, a pull down screen and projector they probably bought at best buy, what's next some metal folding chairs and a hotplate cooking jiffy pop? I expect this to fail and fail quickly, they even said the stuff they will be showing you can see on video or cable. Now if someone were to open a proper theater with 2 or 3 screens and show classic films as well as new release indy films, that could work. but this...no, just no. at least they wont be losing a whole lot of money in this.

I'd also have to agree that this probably won't last long...I doubt I'll ever go. I'd love to have a smaller theater that showed classics, indie, and music concerts! Not like Jonas stupid brothers 3D dumb disney, but something like Red Hot Chili Peppers live at Slane Castle. (i've been wanting to watch that on a huge screen for a long time!) I'd also like to see a theater that did late night video game tournaments! I had a professor at Winthrop who's friend owned a small theater and they did that after the place closed at night.

Really, a pull down screen and projector they probably bought at best buy, what's next some metal folding chairs and a hotplate cooking jiffy pop?

:rofl:

Descriptive image....not just Jiffy Pop, but "hotplate cooking Jiffy Pop". Love it!

I'm assuming this will be BYOB as well?

I do want to see a smaller screening room type venue downtown, but it should be done correctly. The sounds of this place are reminding me of that horrible attempt at indoor carpet golf just up the street. Are they owned by the same people?

I'd also have to agree that this probably won't last long...I doubt I'll ever go. I'd love to have a smaller theater that showed classics, indie, and music concerts! Not like Jonas stupid brothers 3D dumb disney, but something like Red Hot Chili Peppers live at Slane Castle. (i've been wanting to watch that on a huge screen for a long time!) I'd also like to see a theater that did late night video game tournaments! I had a professor at Winthrop who's friend owned a small theater and they did that after the place closed at night.

Ya I wasn't happy to see that the Camelot had The Jonas Brothers on the big screen rather than the Watchmen!

I think DT Greenville really has the market for a small Independent Films theater; better yet, a REAL movie theater!

I coulnt agree more!!! I have had the same thought for years. That corner where the Green Monster used to be would be perfect! Independent fillms, film by Carolina directors, films about local interests or history would be a great alternative to the big budget films shown in the Camelot and H20 and would lend more to the "Artist" community that the west end is trying to be.

I coulnt agree more!!! I have had the same thought for years. That corner where the Green Monster used to be would be perfect! Independent fillms, film by Carolina directors, films about local interests or history would be a great alternative to the big budget films shown in the Camelot and H20 and would lend more to the "Artist" community that the west end is trying to be.

Better yet, since it goes unused so many nights, it would be nice if they just used the Gunther Theather, on nights when other things were not scheduled, to show independent, classic, and Foreign films.

Better yet, since it goes unused so many nights, it would be nice if they just used the Gunther Theather, on nights when other things were not scheduled, to show independent, classic, and Foreign films.

The Peace Center will be showing some indie films by SC directors during Artisphere in the Gunter Theater.

Attempt? Are they opening soon?

The indoor golf place is open now. I walked in there on Tuesday to check it out, and while I doubt I'll be spending much money there, it does seem like a neat place for kids or families...especially if you're looking to get out of the sun for a little while during the hotter months. Overall though it doesn't really look that nice, kinda like it was thrown in there just to get it going. They do have a Liberty Bridge hole though!

Edited by p2y2r7o

^ Well I'm glad to hear the indoor golf place is open. Would be nice if they had a permanent sign so people knew. Something about this place just bugs me......when you think of carpet golf, you think of fun. This place looks anything but fun. The building is sterile.....all they did was slap a fresh coat of paint on. Nothing fun about the outside to draw people in. As for the inside, I haven't been in, but I have doubts. I guess I'm ranting here, but just seems the owners of this project used very little creativity for what should have / could have been a very creative project. :(

^^^ I have no idea where this place is. I'm trying to picture it. But I can't.

It's on Camperdown right beside Oysters on the West End, across the street from Riverplace. It's on the left of oysters, beside that alley (which I'll assume is Chicora Alley?).

Edited by p2y2r7o

^ Well I'm glad to hear the indoor golf place is open. Would be nice if they had a permanent sign so people knew. Something about this place just bugs me......when you think of carpet golf, you think of fun. This place looks anything but fun. The building is sterile.....all they did was slap a fresh coat of paint on. Nothing fun about the outside to draw people in. As for the inside, I haven't been in, but I have doubts. I guess I'm ranting here, but just seems the owners of this project used very little creativity for what should have / could have been a very creative project. :(

Owned by the same guy that started the original horse and carriage rides (at the Poinsett Hotel) and also the "gondola" rides on the Reedy.