The West End

gs3

^ Well I'm glad to hear the indoor golf place is open. Would be nice if they had a permanent sign so people knew. Something about this place just bugs me......when you think of carpet golf, you think of fun. This place looks anything but fun. The building is sterile.....all they did was slap a fresh coat of paint on. Nothing fun about the outside to draw people in. As for the inside, I haven't been in, but I have doubts. I guess I'm ranting here, but just seems the owners of this project used very little creativity for what should have / could have been a very creative project. :(
I peeked in yesterday and must say, although there was zero business at the time, it appeared to be a decent place for light activity right in the heart of the West End. It has great potential to become another amenity worth writing home about, in my opinion. It needs marketing and visibility though!

This is the more visible Boggs Street alley entrance:

3368091006_649b603c2f.jpg

For more information about this photo, click here.

• 2 weeks later...

I peeked in yesterday and must say, although there was zero business at the time, it appeared to be a decent place for light activity right in the heart of the West End. It has great potential to become another amenity worth writing home about, in my opinion. It needs marketing and visibility though!

This is the more visible Boggs Street alley entrance:

3368091006_649b603c2f.jpg

For more information about this photo, click here.

I feel a bit better about this place.....at least a real sign is now going up. Snapped this while driving past today. The shingle sign was being installed. Looks nice.

IMG_4115.jpg

They will also be painting a billboard on the side of the building on boggs st.

Cool. :thumbsup: I like the painted walls in West End. There is a thread somewhere on here that GvilleSC started about painted walls I believe.

The remodel of this building in West End is turning out nicely:

IMG_4126.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I walked in this place over the weekend and it is actually nicely done. I think there is certainly a market for this type of attraction, and I am glad that someone opened it up. While this will not bring in tourists from the West Coast, or be written about in magazines, having an acrcade/putt-putt DT certainly adds to the entertainment options DT, which is needed. I am surprised that people here have complained about the development. It is not done in a tacky way, and it provides some new options for an underserved market. This is just another peice and I hope it does well and stays open. My wife and I plan to try it out along with the newly opened theater. They both offer something a little different and fun, and are priced very inexpensively.

I can really see this becoming an institution. I thinking married couples remembering their first date down at the falls park put put. That sort of thing. It's a little corny for the rest of the area, but so, what people wear crocks to upscale restaurants here.

I have never seen people wearing crocs to upscale restaurants in Greenville. It is surely a very rare occurrence, as Greenville is not nearly as casual or laid back as coastal, touristy places.

I am surprised that people here have complained about the development.

That made me chuckle. Thank you. :lol:;)

This business did turn out better than it seemed like it would at the start. Hope they do well.

Edited by gsupstate

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the area of the demolished buildings near the corner of Academy and Markley (next to the liquor store and across the street from the Kroc Center)?

Are you talking about where those old run down homes are/were between the liquor store and the soup kitchen?

Are you talking about where those old run down homes are/were between the liquor store and the soup kitchen?

Yeah those are the ones CL, looks like the same thing they are doing over on Hynie st. The house they took down used to have the same kind of traffic that the Hynie st area did. Glad to see it gone. Now if that soup kitchen could go away most of the bad foot traffic by my house would stop and McCall st could be redeveloped.

Edited by tech_bus_student

Ate at Compadre's today after church. There were about five tables of people decked out in their Georgia Southern attire, dining before their team's championship game today.

A few things of note: one, it's great to see people have come to town for this tournament and investing in the local economy! Two, a couple of the tables ended up talking to each other to acquaint themselves with their fellow fans, and amongst the conversation was mention of how good the food was at Compadre's. It had been their second or third time eating there during their stay in Greenville! :good:

Some Photos that will, I'm certain, some day soon belong in the "remember when" category:

92210062_4ce99d8fcd.jpg

92210063_b04dcb9859.jpg

It's fun to look back through this thread! I think these three buildings are a few of my favorite MOST DRAMATIC transformations from before to after...

Edited by GvilleSC