The West End

gs3

I went tonight to try out Falls Park Golf and Games. We had a blast! I definitely suggest supporting this place. It's $5 to play one round, however your receipt will take $1 off your next visit.

Oh, and downtown was PACKED. But, then again, I guess that's not anything new... just exciting and encouraging to see. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

It appears as though the West End building that houses "Twigs" will be getting a further face lift, including awnings, address numbers, and a sign for "Twigs". This comes along with the signage for neighbor, "The Lollipop Shop". This is according to the DPC agenda.

It appears as though the West End building that houses "Twigs" will be getting a further face lift, including awnings, address numbers, and a sign for "Twigs". This comes along with the signage for neighbor, "The Lollipop Shop". This is according to the DPC agenda.

:thumbsup: The awnings will look good. That building is slightly boring as is.

• 2 weeks later...

I went tonight to try out Falls Park Golf and Games. We had a blast! I definitely suggest supporting this place. It's $5 to play one round, however your receipt will take $1 off your next visit.

Oh, and downtown was PACKED. But, then again, I guess that's not anything new... just exciting and encouraging to see. :shades:

Several visiting family members and myself went over the 4th weekend. It was pretty fun. The course is fun and more challenging than I expected.

The rooms with blacklight and glow in the dark "Elvis" walls made me a bit sick to my stomach and I had to quickly exit them, of course we went after having Mexican food for lunch and drinking several Margaritas.......that could have been part of it. :lol:

Great little place. The kids in our group enjoyed themselves. I hope to see it do well and even expand. :thumbsup:

Several visiting family members and myself went over the 4th weekend. It was pretty fun. The course is fun and more challenging than I expected.

The rooms with blacklight and glow in the dark "Elvis" walls made me a bit sick to my stomach and I had to quickly exit them, of course we went after having Mexican food for lunch and drinking several Margaritas.......that could have been part of it. :lol:

Great little place. The kids in our group enjoyed themselves. I hope to see it do well and even expand. :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. The room is definitely a little sickening. :scared: I really like the concept and effort, however they could definitely use more space. Ideally, we would see them relocate to a new development or another building where they would have more room. Can you imagine this as a part of a mixed-use development?

As a side note, I like their location on Camperdown, yet they have the visibility from Falls Park plaza on Main. :thumbsup: The City could definitely use some sidewalk work on Camperdown. The Riverplace side is great, of course, but the other side has some stretches that I'd qualify as unfriendly and perhaps even treacherous. Maybe if Tom Croft follows through with his 8-story condo project on Rhett Street, we'll see some sidewalk work done on Camperdown, too? It needs it.

Edited by GvilleSC

I really like the concept and effort, however they could definitely use more space. Ideally, we would see them relocate to a new development or another building where they would have more room. Can you imagine this as a part of a mixed-use development?

Agreed. Take this same concept, slicken it up a bit with a more corporate image, and it would be great in a mixed-use development. I could see this concept as a chain with the right branding, marketing and image. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this evening that the artistic, historic "tiles" are in the sidewalks now. I only saw two of them, but they turned out better than I originally thought. They're easy to miss, but really are a nice touch. :thumbsup:

Cool.

I've been out of town much of the last two weeks and haven't even walked through West End. What area did you see them in? Near the ballpark? Are they in the middle of the sidewalks?

Cool.

I've been out of town much of the last two weeks and haven't even walked through West End. What area did you see them in? Near the ballpark? Are they in the middle of the sidewalks?

The two I saw were on the right side when walking toward the ballpark on South Main. I believe one was before you get to River Street, and the other probably halfway to the ballpark. One of them was right in the middle of the sidewalk, while the other was located in one of wider sections of sidewalk and off to the side (it was very easy to miss).

They have a nice artsy vibe to them, but I wish they were a little bigger (they might be 2x2' or so now, but still easy to miss). Nonetheless, I think this, with other changes and the new recycling bins that will go out this fall supporting art, we're continuing to see Greenville make strides in distinguishing its arts community.

The two I saw were on the right side when walking toward the ballpark on South Main. I believe one was before you get to River Street, and the other probably halfway to the ballpark. One of them was right in the middle of the sidewalk, while the other was located in one of wider sections of sidewalk and off to the side (it was very easy to miss).

They have a nice artsy vibe to them, but I wish they were a little bigger (they might be 2x2' or so now, but still easy to miss). Nonetheless, I think this, with other changes and the new recycling bins that will go out this fall supporting art, we're continuing to see Greenville make strides in distinguishing its arts community.

Saw them for the first time yesterday. I really like the concept....the history....the story they tell. Can't wait to see this complete. A photo of one near Mojito's:

IMG_7298.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I too first thought that painting over the original signs was a tad gimmicky/disney, it felt a little unauthentic. The more I thought about it though I realized that the old signs were only going to continue to deteriorate over the years and that this was the best way to preserve that character. And as these new signs age, it's only going to look better and better.

I have to disagree here. I have always liked this building for it's own merit. I think it is a character building and the painting really covers up the brick more than it enhances the building. Don't care for this one.

I remember reading about this building before it was a cigar warehouse that it stored lots of cotton and boasted it could hold up to 500 tons of guano. I'm glad they chose not to put up an old ad for guano :):scared:

I remember reading about this building before it was a cigar warehouse that it stored lots of cotton and boasted it could hold up to 500 tons of guano. I'm glad they chose not to put up an old ad for guano :):scared:

:rofl: I'm glad, too. I'm also glad they don't store any type of feces there today.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on a few stores in the West End:

Carolina Triathlon is moving down and across Main Street to a bigger space about a block closer towards Flour Field.

Benetz is having a store closing sale, but the manager is apparently trying to buy the store and keep it at that location. So hopefully it won't close after all.

Compadres is expanding into the old Sara's space next door.

Carolina Triathlon is moving down and across Main Street to a bigger space about a block closer towards Flour Field.

Benetz is having a store closing sale, but the manager is apparently trying to buy the store and keep it at that location. So hopefully it won't close after all.

It's great to see both Carolina Triathlon moving further down Main, and Compadre's expanding. Compadres will do very well with more space, I think. I love their food!

Good news about Carolina Triathlon and Compadres. :thumbsup: Other than Rosalinda's, Compadres is my favorite Mexican place.

Not shocked about Benetz. Not to be mean, but the owner really is/was in over her head. She didn't run a very customer friendly business. Being one of the few places in SC that sold Fresh, I bought a sake candle in February, only they were out, so they had to order it (I was told two weeks). After numerous calls over the next several weeks and no candle, fast forward to May (yeah....3 months) and the candle was still not in. I got a different excuse everytime. I finally called and told them I wanted a credit on my Visa card (as it had been charged the day I ordered). When I requested the credit, the owner got snippy and did not want to credit me. This poor experience was actually the better of a few experiences with Benetz, so again, not shocked.

• 4 weeks later...