The West End

gs3

The Chicora project is being redesigned and will be mixed use instead of just residential. No word on size.

That is fantastic, assuming it means retail will be added! I'm glad the developer sees the potential for Rhett Street at the street level, and the NEED for such components.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know who actually did the sign painting on the old Rocks and Ropes building??? I'm trying to find out if anyone locally is still painting signs/advertisements by hand. There's also a billboard on Church street that's repainted every few years. Can anyone help?

• 4 weeks later...

This is a random question, but consider this: On the Nantucket Seafood Grill's website, here, there is a blurb about the restaurant. It claims to be in the "heart of Greenville's West End". Now, a Rick Erwin restaurant is going to be well respected and considered to be well done. However, how does such a miscommunication of location occur?

Are we not branding the West End well enough? Are the definition of its boundaries not clear enough? Or, is this purely on the restaurant and its web manager? :dontknow:

This is a random question, but consider this: On the Nantucket Seafood Grill's website, here, there is a blurb about the restaurant. It claims to be in the "heart of Greenville's West End". Now, a Rick Erwin restaurant is going to be well respected and considered to be well done. However, how does such a miscommunication of location occur?

Are we not branding the West End well enough? Are the definition of its boundaries not clear enough? Or, is this purely on the restaurant and its web manager? :dontknow:

That's inexcusable. Rick Erwin's West End Grille is "in the heart of Greenville's West End," but Nantucket isn't anywhere close to being in the West End. I think this is on the restaurant and its web manager. Everyone knows that the Reedy River separates City Center from the West End. Right? :dontknow:

That's inexcusable. Rick Erwin's West End Grille is "in the heart of Greenville's West End," but Nantucket isn't anywhere close to being in the West End. I think this is on the restaurant and its web manager. Everyone knows that the Reedy River separates City Center from the West End. Right? :dontknow:

Everyone knows Greenville just has one street....City Center, West End, North End, Augusta Street, Cleveland Park, Overbrook, Hampton Pinckney, Paris Mountain, Travelers Rest, Greer, Eastside, Chick Springs, Golden Strip, Haywood, Woodruff Road.....all these places are just located on one tiny Main Street. MOOOOO!

Everyone knows Greenville just has one street....City Center, West End, North End, Augusta Street, Cleveland Park, Overbrook, Hampton Pinckney, Paris Mountain, Travelers Rest, Greer, Eastside, Chick Springs, Golden Strip, Haywood, Woodruff Road.....all these places are just located on one tiny Main Street. MOOOOO!

MOO! :lol:

Well, somebody was on the ball, as it's already been fixed. It once read, "...in a warm, modern ambiance, in the heart of Greenville's West End, at the new Courtyard by Marriott." That version is now visible only in server caches, as the site now reads, "...in a warm, modern ambiance, located at the new Courtyard by Marriott."

Well, somebody was on the ball, as it's already been fixed. It once read, "...in a warm, modern ambiance, in the heart of Greenville's West End, at the new Courtyard by Marriott." That version is now visible only in server caches, as the site now reads, "...in a warm, modern ambiance, located at the new Courtyard by Marriott."

Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

Maybe Rick Erwin reads UP? :lol: I will tell you that one business in town, on which I commented negatively about design issues.....the owner joined UP and IM'd me.....thanking me for ideas they hadn't thought about.

hysterical.gif No. I doubt Qwikees would have taken kindly to the type of suggestion I would have sent to them.

Despite the horrible exterior that all three shops on that corner have to contend with, and the cheesy name, and the impression of a store that just sells rolling papers, condoms, and malt liquor (which is only partially true rolleyes.gif ), Qwikees is growing on me. The last two times I have been in there (to buy bottled water and Advil), the interior seemed ok (they filled in the empty spaces with actual stuff) and the guy behind the counter was very polite and was helpful, thanked me for shopping there, and wished me a nice day.

Maybe they read this thread as well. Everyone deserves a second or third chance and they seem to be trying and we do need something like this downtown. I actually prefer the home-grown big city market-deli-convienence store vibe that quickees has over a chain store like CVS downtown.

Edited by gvegascple

Despite the horrible exterior that all three shops on that corner have to contend with, and the cheesy name, and the impression of a store that just sells rolling papers, condoms, and malt liquor (which is only partially true rolleyes.gif ), Qwikees is growing on me. The last two times I have been in there (to buy bottled water and Advil), the interior seemed ok (they filled in the empty spaces with actual stuff) and the guy behind the counter was very polite and was helpful, thanked me for shopping there, and wished me a nice day.

Maybe they read this thread as well. Everyone deserves a second or third chance and they seem to be trying and we do need something like this downtown. I actually prefer the home-grown big city market-deli-convienence store vibe that quickees has over a chain store like CVS downtown.

Do you mind if I ask what time of the day you've visited the store? My only interaction with Qwickee's has been in the evening hours, personally.

Edited by GvilleSC

Do you mind if I ask what time of the day you've visited the store? My only interaction with Qwickee's has been in the evening hours, personally.

Both times were in the afternoon, between 11 am and 2 pm. I can see how things might change after 5 though.

• 2 weeks later...

And according to at least a few pseudo-intellectual simpletons, all of this is located in a downtown that is "only two blocks long". :wacko:

Hi Skyliner.

I asked this question under Spartanburg topics, and the power to be told me to come here..

Looking for a reasonable, but good casual restaurant near River Park Falls with a deck/patio. Thought maybe Smoke on the Water would be good. I have heard that Oyster's on the West End was not so good......any suggestions? I live in Spartanburg and need some new scenery. THANKS!

Hi Skyliner.

I asked this question under Spartanburg topics, and the power to be told me to come here..

Looking for a reasonable, but good casual restaurant near River Park Falls with a deck/patio. Thought maybe Smoke on the Water would be good. I have heard that Oyster's on the West End was not so good......any suggestions? I live in Spartanburg and need some new scenery. THANKS!

Try the Overlook Grill at the main entrance to Falls Park.

• 1 month later...

The English pub that's being upfitted in the West End is looking GREAT! Does anyone know the name? The elements going into the construction are extremely authentic and have a lot of character. Whoever is behind this is doing a fantastic job! :thumbsup:

I was by there this morning (without camera) and noticed that as well. Looking fantastic!! It looks literally like the place from Manhattan they are modeling it after. One of these threads has the illustration of the finished product.....anyone remember where?

Hi Skyliner.

The Greenville folks on UP always have great recommendations on where to go, my friend. Hopefully you didn't take offense to what I said in the Spartanburg forum, but if so I apologize. I know that personally, I never know where I'm going to go eat in Greenville. I usually just wander around until I find a place that suits me (which isn't very hard to do).

I will add though, that the West End has changed a lot since I worked in Greenville, so I'm less versed in the restaurant selection there. I need to get back over there and check things out.