The West End

gs3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I've stated this before ( :thumbsup: ), but I am a huge fan of the mid-block crosswalk lighting on South Main. You know the ones, it's a single light that's strung across the street. Well, there's currently two near Augusta Street. I noticed today that they're adding one at the mid-block crosswalk at the Fieldhouse where it crosses to Zen, the cycling shop, and the new sports bar. It's great to have this carried on down the street and following the continued redevelopment and investment. It comes at a good time, too, as more and more people are spending time on this portion of the West End.

And, BTW, the work on Mac's is coming along. The small shack-like structure that had "Jackee's" written on it has been demolished. The windows are still out.

I'm not sure how long this has been here, but I recently noticed that the City has put up a "West End Historic District" sign (like the one that is my avatar) at Augusta Street and Field Street.

First of all, I LOVE these signs and how they designate all the historic districts in the downtown area. However... (I'm sure you all could see this coming), I'm concerned about the quality of the sign. The other ones all seem to be nice and durable. This new addition (only the name part) seems to maybe have some warp-age going on or something, like it's bubbling because it's not really metal like the others? Not sure, but something is off. Take a look at it, and give me some feedback. Maybe it's temporary?

• 2 months later...

The former Rio Grille/future Breakwater restaurant has been painted on the exterior. I liked the red, but I now like the new color a whole lot more. It's a dark grayish color. It looks good with the windows and details that were already in place. Check it out!

------

Also, the new Mac's Speed Shop is still undergoing its transformation. They have poured the curbing for the small parking lot :sick:. It's small- yes, but still inappropriate, IMO. The windows they have installed look really good!

On a related note, I really hate that the triathlon/cycling shop next door is painted black. It may have been this way from back when this was a dance studio a few years ago, but I really wish they'd remove the paint or just take it all the way to the top cap of the building.

6660988841_667b3c98c8_z.jpg

Not the apartment site:

GREENVILLE, SC - January 3, 2012 - Bobby Hines and Zach Hines with Langston-Black Real Estate, Inc. represented both parties in the recent sale of the 17,064 square foot building located at 508 Rhett Street. The Seller was Mr. Michael E. Beck. The Buyer, The Watson Company, LLC purchased the property for an investment. They will eventually remodel for offices and or retail.

Not the apartment site:

GREENVILLE, SC - January 3, 2012 - Bobby Hines and Zach Hines with Langston-Black Real Estate, Inc. represented both parties in the recent sale of the 17,064 square foot building located at 508 Rhett Street. The Seller was Mr. Michael E. Beck. The Buyer, The Watson Company, LLC purchased the property for an investment. They will eventually remodel for offices and or retail.

Thanks for the info. There are 5 adjoining parcels owned by Michael Beck, including the one with the building. Do you know if some or all of those parcels are included?

I believe the 5 remaining parcels you are referring to are still for sale. Langston Black is still showing the listing on their website. 2.19 acres at $2.62 million ($27.50 psf). It would be tough to develop apartments on that site based on the land cost and size as you couldn’t get the necessary density to make your numbers (note I have not studied the site, only my opinion at first glance).

I have heard a solid rumor about an apartment project on Rhett Street, I just can't figure out the site.

http://www.langston-...arkley%20St.jpg The parcels shown in the link are NOT the parcels I was referring to. The four additional parcels are BETWEEN the property shown in the link and Rhett Street. There are seven parcels total, but two of them are not owned by Michael Beck. I was wondering if the Beck sale included 1,2,3,4 or 5 parcels. The Sign is posted on the Rhett Street parcel immediately adjacent to the RR tracks. Edited by vicupstate

http://www.langston-...arkley%20St.jpg The parcels shown in the link are NOT the parcels I was referring to. The four additional parcels are BETWEEN the property shown in the link and Rhett Street. There are seven parcels total, but two of them are not owned by Michael Beck. I was wondering if the Beck sale included 1,2,3,4 or 5 parcels. The Sign is posted on the Rhett Street parcel immediately adjacent to the RR tracks.

Only ONE parcel was sold, the one with the 2 story building on it that is bordered by the RR tracks. Price was $515,000.

In the next block on Rhett (towards the river) had some survey flags as well though. I suspect that might be where the apartment project will go.

Maybe after this weekend, with the primary over (and thus not totally dominating the news) we will hear some additional development news.

The Gville News is reporting that teh local affliate of the Susan Komen Foundation will relocate to the Falls Place building across from Michelin on Main. They will have more space than their current Eastside location. They are taking 1,200 SF on the mezzenine level.

It's great to hear about more office space being snatched up! And, their employees will likely use the city-owned Riverplace garage, which makes this an even greater win for downtown and the City. :thumbsup:

Some bad news: The Bounce Agency laid off 15 employees on Wednesday and is looking at possibly closing for good: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/42428-bounce-agency-downsizes-may-close?rss=0

The good news is that only seven employees remain and it's just one floor of office space so the negative impact won't be that greatly felt.

Some bad news: The Bounce Agency laid off 15 employees on Wednesday and is looking at possibly closing for good: http://www.gsabusine...may-close?rss=0

The good news is that only seven employees remain and it's just one floor of office space so the negative impact won't be that greatly felt.

Are there any other office tenants in that building?

While this is certainly sad to hear, it's at least good to know that there are other agencies in town who are growing and can probably absorb this blow.

• 2 weeks later...

The old Oysters space on Camperdown is going to be a Saint Louis Original Hamburgers. Is this the same place that has opened in the old Wendy's on Haywood?

http://www.greenvill...mperdownWay.pdf

Their application seems... well, you decide:

When asked to describe how this will be appropriate for its "mixed-use zoning" location. The response: "I intend to operate as a mixed-use with good food and spirits".

I wish them the best :thumbsup:

Edited by GvilleSC

The old Oysters space on Camperdown is going to be a Saint Louis Original Hamburgers. Is this the same place that has opened in the old Wendy's on Haywood?

Yes. St. Louis Original Hamburgers LLC is registered with the North Carolina Secretarty of State as of Sept. 28, 2011, with an address in Hickory NC. The trade mark was filed Sept. 21, 2011. The registered agent's name is Gregory Glover, as on the application pending in Greenville. According to a GSA Business article on the opening of the St. Louis Original Hamburgers in the former Wendy's on Haywood Rd., the owner, identified as Gregory Glover, named the restaurant for St. Louis, one of two cities where the hamburger is said to have originated in the United States.

The registered address for St. Louis Original Hamburgers LLC is the same as that on previous filings for a company now or formerly known as One Hundred Twenty LLC, with which Glover apparently was also associated. According to a GSA Busines article in April 2010, One Hundred Twenty LLC leased a site at 1560 Laurens Rd., corner of East Antrim Drive, a former Checkers drive-in location. "A Checkers restaurant will be located on the site." According to the Checkers web site today, there are no Checkers restaurants in Greenville SC.

In October 2011, Gregory Glover and One Hundred Twenty LLC were defendants in a contract case brought in Florida Middle District Court by Checkers Drive-In Restaurants, Inc. for trademark infringement. (It is my understanding that Checkers Drive-In Restaurants, Inc., prevailed.) In late November or early December 2011, former Checkers drive-ins in Lenoir and Morganton NC reopened under the St. Louis Original Hamburgers banner.

Lots more stuff to be found in Google searches, but much of it can not be ascertained as fact.

http://www.greenvill...mperdownWay.pdf

Their application seems... well, you decide:

When asked to describe how this will be appropriate for its "mixed-use zoning" location. The response: "I intend to operate as a mixed-use with good food and spirits".

I wish them the best :thumbsup:

Here today, gone tomorrow. West End Chicken & Waffles act II.

I am happy to see a new affordable restaurant establishment possibly coming downtown that serves something besides deli sandwiches. However, I can't say I am happy that it's from a restaurant chain that has absolutely no idea what they are doing. How the Haywood Road location for St. Louis Burgers has even lasted a week is an amazement in itself. I agree 100% with gsupstate. This place will be gone no later than a month after it opens I bet.

Edited by citylife