The West End

gs3

Someone mentioned a supposed lack of affordable options downtown excluding deli sandwiches. The owners of Handi, Trio, The Velo Fellow, Carolina Ale House, Blue Ridge Brewing Company, Grill 33, and most of the pizza places, among others, want to know what "affordable" means nowadays.

Being able to get a quick bite to eat for lunch for under $10. :thumbsup: Things like Chick-Fil-A and Chipotle would be great downtown.

Edited by citylife

Someone mentioned a supposed lack of affordable options downtown excluding deli sandwiches. The owners of Handi, Trio, The Velo Fellow, Carolina Ale House, Blue Ridge Brewing Company, Grill 33, and most of the pizza places, among others, want to know what "affordable" means nowadays.

That was me. While those aren't pricey, they're still $10+ including tip. Downtown needs $5 options.

First we were told "under $10," which I thought was reasonable. Then it became "under $5." Heck, why not make it under $2, including chips and a drink?! This is a city center, for crying out loud, not a slum neighborhood. Don't cheapen it by putting a Chik-Fil-A in Main Street!

By the way, try the meatloaf sandwich at Coffee Underground, $6.48, or the half grilled chicken wrap at Overlook Grill, $6.49. They're both good, and not a deli meat between 'em.

First we were told "under $10," which I thought was reasonable. Then it became "under $5." Heck, why not make it under $2, including chips and a drink?! This is a city center, for crying out loud, not a slum neighborhood. Don't cheapen it by putting a Chik-Fil-A in Main Street!

So we're not allowed to have affordable dining options in this area just because it's a "city center?" :huh: Since when is Chick-Fil-A considered slum also? Just because it's not a local establishment does not mean it sucks. When I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead Atlanta, there was a Chick-Fil-A right next door in the Terminus mixed-use development which is I ate at for lunch one day. Yep...Buckhead, Grand Hyatt, and Terminus are the slums alright. :rolleyes:

Edited by citylife

Yeah, some GVL residents are ridiculous. Downtown isn't your private gated community, it's for everyone! Don't be so selfish to think downtown should cater only to what you want. I don't think anyone here said to put a chick-fil-a on Main Street...just that one in the downtown area would be good to have. Don't forget that the meaning of "affordable" is not the same for everyone. An "affordable" $10 meal, plus drink and tip may not be as affordable to a student, etc. If you have a problem with having affordable dining options, and I mean affordable to a wide array of folks, then your idea of what a city-center should be is seriously skewed.

I love Blue Ridge, Velo, Ale House, etc but I can't spend $10-15 every time I go downtown (which is why I've been downtown much less frequently lately...). There should be cheaper options, and a chick-fil-a is a perfect example of a restaurant that would do well. It doesn't need to be on Main Street! I'm all for keeping downtown beautiful and fancy and all, but there are plenty of places off of Main it could work. There's already Subway and the other sandwich shops, pizza places where you can get a couple slices for cheap, etc so why not have a few other places in that price range?

I love Greenville. I really mean that! But sometimes I forget how many stuck-up snobby people live here. (Then again, I went to GHS so how could I forget???)

Edited by p2y2r7o

Clearly, some people would prefer downtown to be a gated community.

Listening to some of these NIMBY's lately, I thought downtown had already become one with security guards stationed at each gate. Could have fooled me.

Edited by citylife

Clearly, some people would prefer downtown to be a gated community.

No class warfare going on here. The point I intended in my previous message was that a $5 price point for a complete meal is a hard target to achieve in anything but a strip mall or food court, and if downtown Greenville were to become either one of those it would be a sad day indeed. That said, a food court within some larger mixed-use development might be an interesting concept to explore. Then I might even welcome pressure-fried chikin!

And that sandwich at Coffee Underground turns into $10+ really fast after tip and a drink. I'm just asking for options.

There are always exceptions if that's all you look for, but there also are a number of real options. For instance, I visited Bellacino's today, where I had a quarter-size chicken-bacon-ranch grinder - about the same size as a burger or a Chick-Fil-A sandwich but way tastier, maybe even healthier - that cost $4.15. With chips, 22 oz. tea and (optional) tip, my total still came to well under $8. Had I chosen not to tip it would have been under $7, close to what a similar meal of deli meat would have cost at a Subway. Beyond that, Bellacino's has 18 sandwich choices that are less than $4.00. I'm not promoting Bellacino's; just trying to show that a good lunch can be had in downtown Greenville for much less than $10. Rainer's is another example.

I love Greenville. I really mean that! But sometimes I forget how many stuck-up snobby people live here. (Then again, I went to GHS so how could I forget???)

Almost isn't worth responding to. It isn't my fault that you feel defensive about having grown up in Greenville, but there's no reason to resort to personal attacks and name-calling.

In related news, Columbia's Main Street Chick-fil-a will close at the end of this month. A new lease agreement could not be reached. I think we can assume that rents are going up on their revitalizing corridor and have gone above CFA's business levels. Maybe we'll find out more details later

Almost isn't worth responding to. It isn't my fault that you feel defensive about having grown up in Greenville, but there's no reason to resort to personal attacks and name-calling.

That reply wasn't based only on what I've read here, but also from what I've heard from others around Greenville. Anything I say is from first-hand experience with residents here and "word on the street". I wouldn't consider myself a name caller and I don't hate anyone based on how they live, but there are most definitely people living in this city who think they own it and control everything about it. (and i suppose some of them do)

What I find ridiculous are those who can sway the decisions of such important matters simply because they are friends of those in charge, or because they live in affluent neighborhoods where their voice "matters". It happens. I know of parents that have gotten away without any consequences after alcohol-related injuries involving teenagers. When parents are buying alcohol for kids and those kids are getting hurt on their property something is very wrong if there is no punishment! That argument has nothing to do with the topic here, but these are the people I'm talking about who are stuck-up, think they're invincible, and are part of some big decisions in this city and I think that is very unfortunate! I'm not defensive of Greenville, and I don't think that my voice matters any more than others because I was born and raised here. I'm young...what do I know anyways?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone here, I don't know you so it's uncalled for. Also, of course I realize that not every person with loads of money in this city are bad people. A lot of them are wonderful, fair people who want the best for all of us and stay within the limits of the law.

Long live the progressive development of a great city that belongs to all of us. I'll shut up for a while.

That was a truly bizarre Chick-Fil-A in Columbia. The only one even weirder was the old Daniel Building one. Neither felt anything like an actual Chick-Fil-A.

Speaking of which, the old Atlanta Bread would be a stellar location for one. Have we heard what's that's being converted to yet?

I feel like almost nobody knew the one was ever in the Daniel Building. Walked by ABC the other day and it was taped off at the front, but that's all I've got.

I don't want to drag this out except to say I totally respect you for your response. The only part where I can't agree with is when you say:

I'm young...what do I know anyways?

I absolutely believe that all of us are here for one common reason: we love Greenville and want to see it be all that it can be (to borrow a phrase). Everybody's input matters; everyone's idea is worthwhile.

I don't intend to come off as a NIMBY. I'm not a big fan of Chick-Fl-A (surprised?), but you and others have helped me see that there is a demand. I was serious about the idea of putting a food court in a major mixed-use development to tap into that demand. (Wish I had the money to do it myself, but I'm definitely not one of "those" people.) And I don't mean off-off-Main Street. I like keeping the character that exists in downtown, but I think it could work close to or even on Main Street.

Finally...

Long live the progressive development of a great city that belongs to all of us.

Well said!

The only one even weirder was the old Daniel Building one. Neither felt anything like an actual Chick-Fil-A.

That actually was my very first experience with Chick-Fil-A, or rather it would have been if I could have found it. Yes, very strange. Perhaps that's why my opinion of Chick-Fil-A is so negative.

Speaking of which, the old Atlanta Bread would be a stellar location for one.

Um, no further comment...

There are always exceptions if that's all you look for, but there also are a number of real options. For instance, I visited Bellacino's today, where I had a quarter-size chicken-bacon-ranch grinder - about the same size as a burger or a Chick-Fil-A sandwich but way tastier, maybe even healthier - that cost $4.15. With chips, 22 oz. tea and (optional) tip, my total still came to well under $8. Had I chosen not to tip it would have been under $7, close to what a similar meal of deli meat would have cost at a Subway. Beyond that, Bellacino's has 18 sandwich choices that are less than $4.00. I'm not promoting Bellacino's; just trying to show that a good lunch can be had in downtown Greenville for much less than $10. Rainer's is another example.

Precisely my point. How many people even eat a $5 meal at Chick-Fil-A? What are their combo prices? I have nothing against the restaurant or anyone who eats there, but the comment about no affordable options was completely false.

Just look at the menus from each of the places I mentioned. A couple of people discussing this topic should be enlightened.

Just wondering out loud here.....

Should the builders in Thornblade be forced to build homes for under 150,000? Should Neiman Marcus be forced to sell affordable clothing? Hmmmmm....... So why, should downtown private business offer cheap lunch places? If downotown has those places great, if not great. If I worked downtown, and couldn't afford the lunches, then I would pack my lunch, take it with me and spend an hour having lunch in one of the many beautiful spots in Falls Park or along the river....have my lunch on a bench along beautiful Main Street....any of a number of places that taxpayer dollars provide that make Greenville's downtown unique and exceptional. Cheap lunches are available downtown....anywhere....anytime.

I'm also curious why this "gated community" talk. Greenville's downtown is unique and exceptional....why muck it up with bland, common, suburban, Camry driving stuff like Chick-Fil-A, McDonald's, etc, etc for the sake of cheap? It certainly wasn't Dollar General and Chick-Fil-A that made downtown Greenville unique and cool. It was Soby's and High Cotton and Trio and Blueberry Frog and Nantucket, etc, etc, etc.

If we need cheap, why not have places that are both unique and cheap, since unique and cheap can coexist in the same business (Trader Joe's and H&M are proof of that). How about cheap lunch places that are cool....a place that sells Hong Kong Pork Buns or Bao....a place like a Soup "Nazi" place....salad creations.....cool, unique and cheap, all in one. Heck, for those of us that didn't grow up around here, we find Duke's Sandwich Shops unique and cool....I mean a place that makes sandwiches on loaf bread? The first time I went in, I thought how cool. With a bit of marketing help, Duke's could be a incredibly cool downtown place, filled with the the history of Greenville and selling cheap lunches.

Given the choice of cool and unique OR cheap, humans tend to clamor toward cool and unique, but many times must accept cheap. I want a downtown that people clamor to be in, not a downtown that people must accept.

My 2 cents.

Edited by gsupstate

I work downtown and am constantly having to drive to Cherrdrydale to eat lunch.

You don't "have to" drive away from downtown to eat lunch. You choose to drive instead of walking to one of several decent (and affordable) options nearby. If money is the primary issue, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing food at any restaurant—especially cheap/unhealthy fast food.

I did not say restaurants should be forced to sell cheap food. And I did not say every restaurant downtown should close and turn into Cook Out. I just want more OPTIONS. Not sure how many different ways I can say that.

I absolutely love The Trappe Door, Lemongrass, Sassafras, Pomegranate, and restaurants of that sort. Downtown is overflowing with options like those. And if a more affordable place can also serve great food...even better. Bao? Sure, I love Wow Bao in Chicago. They are both delicious and mind-bogglingly cheap. Unfortunately, we don't have much like that here.

Even the more affordable restaurants downtown operate with a "downtown premium" tacked on. So can't we just have a few more options? A new Chick-fil-a isn't going to turn Main Street into 8 Mile. Have you ever even been in a Chick-fil-a? They're almost nauseatingly polite, clean, and upscale (for a fast food joint).

We have approximately 9 galleries and "pink and green" boutiques for every 1 Augusta Road woman in town. Can't we get just 1 Chick-fil-a for the other 50,000 of us?

You don't "have to" drive away from downtown to eat lunch. You choose to drive instead of walking to one of several decent (and affordable) options nearby. If money is the primary issue, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing food at any restaurant—especially cheap/unhealthy fast food.

Find me a restaurant downtown where I can something to eat that's not a pizza or deli sandwich for under $10 within 10 minutes of placing my order.

I agree with StrangeCock. More quick affordable eating options are sorely needed downtown. Pita Pit, Cosi, Back Yard Burgers, Fazoli's, Boston Market, Chipotle, Five Guys, Moe's, Chick-Fil-A, etc. would be awesome.

Edited by citylife