The West End

gs3

So just wanting some clarification. This is for the Northeast corner of the Westfield and the small road which i don't know the name. Is this suppose to take up the whole block all the way to Reedy View Dr. and remove the Credit and other buildings?

The block bound by Westfield and Reedyview is owned by Black Electrical and the Credit Union.  There is also land on the opposite side of Reedyview that Black also owns.  I wonder if that land is icluded in this project.   

From Gville News:

The site where Flournoy Development plans about 300 apartments is a stone’s throw from Linky Stone Park and the Swamp Rabbit Trail with a view of the Greenville skyline.

Ryan Foster, a vice president with the development company, said it has a contract to buy the site, about five acres, from two businesses located there now, the Greenville Heritage Federal Credit Union and Blacks Electrical Supply.

Flournoy hopes to break ground later this year, said Foster, a Clemson University graduate who grew up in Greenville.

He said the complex is likely to be four stories tall and include a pool, fitness center, grill areas and fire pit.

“It’s in the very early stages,” he said.

Flournoy previously developed two other apartment complexes in Greenville — the Verandas at The Point and The Aventine Greenville, both behind the TD Bank complex along Interstate 85.

Alan Berry, chief executive of the 31-employee Greenville Heritage Federal Credit Union, said it has purchased and will move to property at 23 Butler Ave.

The article says 'about five acres'.  The Credit Union parcel and the Black Electrical parcel included within Westfield and Reedyview is 3.846 acres.   Black owns .431acres on the opposite side of Reedyview.  Sounds like Flournoy is buying  the entire Black Electrical holdings plus the Credit Union.   There is a .37 acre site next to the extra Black Electrical parcel (north side of Westfield/Reedyview intersection) that is on the market.  MAYBE, they are buying that too?

Not sure if anyone else posted this information previously, but here is a link with updates regarding the new West End b&b:

http://www.swamprabbitinn.com/

Very interesting.  I like this idea.  I'm not a B&B person, but I don't recall any B&B's in the West End so I think the idea could really work.  I would think this would be a preferable option for many compared to Pettigru Place, which is certainly well known but not as convenient a location for downtown activities.

Greenville is slowly becoming the low rise capitol of the US. It won't be long before they will be imploding the Daniel buiding and others because they are too tall!!

You sure seem to be complaining a lot lately. If you want high rises so badly I suggest packing up and moving to Dubai.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Zillow wasn't wrong about the lot at Rhett and Markley after all.  Markley Street is REALLY going to look different in two years. 

From the Journal:

As the West End continues to be a hot spot in downtown development, another new project is coming to Markley and Rhett Street. A new, six-home luxury townhome development called Markley Row is set to begin construction spring 2014.

The project is being developed by Rallis Holdings and will be built by Highland Homes. The townhomes will be in a gated community and feature garages, elevators and private yards. Units will range from 4,000 to 7,000 square feet and will be built to suit.

An invitation-only “unveiling party” will be held Feb. 25 at ZEN Greenville where advertising company Red Hype will release additional details about the development.

[This is not to be confused with the Stadium Apartments]

Edited by vicupstate

Apparently Zillow wasn't wrong about the lot at Rhett and Markley after all.  Markley Street is REALLY going to look different in two years. 

From the Journal:

As the West End continues to be a hot spot in downtown development, another new project is coming to Markley and Rhett Street. A new, six-home luxury townhome development called Markley Row is set to begin construction spring 2014.

The project is being developed by Rallis Holdings and will be built by Highland Homes. The townhomes will be in a gated community and feature garages, elevators and private yards. Units will range from 4,000 to 7,000 square feet and will be built to suit.

An invitation-only “unveiling party” will be held Feb. 25 at ZEN Greenville where advertising company Red Hype will release additional details about the development.

[This is not to be confused with the Stadium Apartments]

Wow, sounds like a nice addition to the residential market in the West End.  At 4,000-7,000 square feet per unit, these won't be cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of development in the River district over the past 10 years is somewhat staggering. Of course, this all starts with the reclamation of Falls Park back in 2004. The impact is much larger when you consider the historic and existing buildings that have been repurposed. However, those developments are much harder to trace with dollar amounts and/or dates.

Consider the following graphic. It's rare for this much development to be so concentrated, yet it's extremely fitting for the City's original lifeblood to once again be a center of community and positive impact. Who knows what the future will hold, but not many could have foreseen this a decade ago:

12961594265_2235d2af3b_b.jpg

What are you thoughts on the development around the River, and the precedent that has been set? I'm encouraged by the the amount of retail space and the distance that development has gone away from Main Street. Despite the distance, it all remains very connected due to concentration, productive street level uses, and streetscaping. The redevelopment of the Greenville News site will be interesting to follow. 

Excellent graphic, GvilleSC!  :thumbsup:  The development in that area over the past 10 years has been dramatic and impressive, for sure.  I agree about The Greenville News building being a key redevelopment piece.  The visitor's center should be an important development to keep an eye on as well.

I think we will continue to see development toward and across Academy.  The city's plan for a riverfront park on the other side of Academy can be a huge stimulus in that direction.  I also think we will see some changes to Academy Street as a result of development spreading that way.  It could ultimately transform the entryway to downtown from that direction.