The West End

gs3

Agreed. Having a new Church St style redo of Academy from Pendleton St would be a great upgrade to that gateway.

They can't even keep the new lights on along the recently redone section. They need to fix that first along with burying the powerlines there.

Edited by gman430

Only the tall ones are consistently off. The pedestrian lights are on and light the street well. As for power lines, that may eventually happen.

That doesn't answer the question though as to why they're off. With the amount of money that was spent on the project, they should be on.

It is probably a conservation measure. Having all the pedestrian and street lights on simultaneously is a bit overkill.

So why spend money on having them installed in the first place? You would think the engineers and architects would have figured this out before hand if it's a conservation measure.

The city is doing a very high quality job on the streetscaping of W. Camperdown Way. Of course the powerlines are gone, but more importantly they have actually removed asphalt and narrowed the street to make way for much wider sidewalks. For whatever reason, I wasn't envisioning this kind of effort. I guess I was expecting a kind of patch and repair job that makes the sidewalks good, but avoids the street itself. Shame on me, I suppose. However, this is going to be great when complete.

Hopefully we will see Tom Croft's apartment project built and we will see the first block of Rhett Street undergo the same kind of work. Details, Greenville. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

I found out recently that apparently Pendleton Street Baptist Church doesn't currently even use their sanctuary or a large portion of their campus. They must really be struggling? It would be great to see them sell off their entire property or a large portion of it (i.e. The surface parking, rundown building on Rhett Street, etc.) for redevelopment.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-03-2014/CA-14-91-NorthMarkleyStreet.pdf

The owner of the lot across the street is no longer in the project, thus creating the dilemma.  The application says that if approved, demolition of the second building is not certain, but that may be lip service.  

It does beg the question as to what the now solo lot will be used for.  

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-03-2014/CA-14-92-101WestCamperdownWay.pdf

Canopy and patio creation at Rick's Deli on Camperdown.

That mural makes me nauseous. I like the idea for the artistic vibe of the West End, but I'm not convinced on the subject and depiction.

I'm glad to see Artisphere sponsoring another piece of public art. I wish it didn't look quite so similar to the new piece at the Hyatt. But, I'll take it.

GAIA is an awsome artist, if you remember a few years about some street art that popped up around town, prints of heads with birds in the hair pasted to buildings in the West End and West Greenville?  That was him.  I am really excited to see what he would do with the mural as I am a big fan.

A lot in the West End is now under contract for an apartment complex. It's a site we have wanted developed for a long time. The development is being proposed by a company with a lot of experience in this field. Hopefully I can share who it is and what site it is at a later date. I promised the source I wouldn't until given the go ahead to.

Edited by gman430

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-03-2014/CA-14-91-NorthMarkleyStreet.pdf

The owner of the lot across the street is no longer in the project, thus creating the dilemma.  The application says that if approved, demolition of the second building is not certain, but that may be lip service.  

It does beg the question as to what the now solo lot will be used for.  

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-03-2014/CA-14-92-101WestCamperdownWay.pdf

Canopy and patio creation at Rick's Deli on Camperdown.

Horrific mural.  Nevermind the fact the average Greenvillian has no concept of Altruism.  LOL.