The West End

gs3

I overall like it, except for the covered parking. 7 parking spots is not enough for the units for the building. They would be better served to buy rights to the parking garage from the apartment complex behind them and do something else with that area. 

That is their plan. It says they are in negotiations under the project description section.

It doesn't look out of scale. Looks conveniently in scale if you ask me. But its like these folks saw the building next door and said we probably can get away with a few more floors if they get theirs approved. Because if I remember..... wasn't it supposed to just be 4 floors instead of 6. But if that was the plan. They are proposing it at the right time. Will they get it approved. Well we will see. Saving the façade was a requirement at one time, if I remember correctly.  

It may not be out of scale with newer buildings being built off Main St, but it's totally out of scale with the surrounding buildings on Main, not to mention totally out of context with the historic buildings nearby.  The city gave approval to demolish the original building based on the last design that recreated the historical façade as part of the new development.  Not sure what happened to that requirement.  Once again, it would be nice to see an architect come up with something more imaginative that a bunch of bare ugly boxes.

Although I am more a fan of tried-and-true traditional architecture, this is interesting and creative for a growing small downtown. The city should approve this development concept.

Edited to add:

This building would somehow "connect" to the proposed Link apartment building on River and Rhett Streets and parking would be shared by both.

Edited by Skyliner

I like it too, that IS one big -ss waterfall. I wonder how they are going to keep it from splashing everyone walking past it  

I also agree with other comments about having more glass on the side and losing the covered parking.  At street level, It needs to encourage pedestrian retail traffic down the side streets, not present an indication that everything is on Main and stops as you turn sideways. This is especially true of the buildings right on main, those are the ones that need to send the message the most.  That covered parking looks like a place for muggers or homeless people to hide or for people to try to use as bathrooms, I can see that going south really fast.

I love how the population density downtown is shaping up.  This feels like a tipping point to support a lot more retail, etc which should draw more people and then draw more retail and so on.  

Does anyone else think that parking and traffic might become an issue keeping those that don't already live or work downtown from coming?

Edited by gvegascple

I don't see parking or traffic becoming a bigger issue. Infrastructure (parking, etc) seems to be keeping up, with maybe the exception of the West End? But the expanded trolley access should assist and expand into the future. We shall see...

Edited by GvilleSC

Great article by the Greenville News on this development today. They really did the research and presented all the recent historical issues between the developer and city. 

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/money/business/2014/10/22/apartments-shops-planned-main-river/17729547/

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the site is in the floodplain. That is probably why the area closest to the S.R. trail is surface parking only. Given that, this is about as good as it can likely be.

Ideally they would create a natural buffer and swale like the Kroc Center has, and structure the parking. Yes it would be expensive.