The West End

gs3

I am not a fan of this on multiple levels.

•  It blocks the Kroc Center and kills any continuity needed to stretch the swamp rabbit trail and public areas/access on artists row down to the proposed expanded park system.  They are blowing a chance to hightlight the river front and the SRT.  There could be retail (bike rentals, yoga studio, sandwich/ice cream shop, etc) over on that river front side.  I dont get how many people just give up on things once you cross Academy,  there should be at the very least really nice public space on the river front.  
  •  It is a waste of valuable surface space with all of the surface parking
  •  it's ugly

This is a large, important and very visible, river and SRT fronting property.  It is a hinge-pin for spuring development up Academy and pedestrian access (possibly retail) up the Reedy.  Ugh, running ashphalt instead of green public space to the river (if it could serve as public parking for SRT-goers in combination with greenspace that would be better) and what looks like the back of parking garages along westfield is just blah.  It seems like something we will be wishing we had put more thought into the second its completed, if not sooner.

Edited by gvegascple

I passionately agree and cannot avoid thinking, "welcome to the ghetto." It appears as though this developer does not know how to properly plan a prominent riverfront proprty. If city leaders allow anything like this design to move forward along the river walk, then it will indicate they have NO vision for future development in the downtown area.

Agreed. This parcel is essentially the "front door" to the new city park and the developing West End. I believe it will negatively impact that area. Hopefully there is strong push back. 

Can the DRB reject the request just because of some of the things that have been outlined above, or does there actually have to be conditions they are not meeting to reject? I agree with what everyone is saying, just curious as to how much they can actually do..

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I think they have pretty wide latitude in regards to design and what does or does not meet with their approval.  I would expect that they would have to give specific details of what needed to be changed and why.   

Are there gates and a enclosed fence around the entire property?  Nothing says integration into nearby properties and public spaces like a friggin fence and security gate.  This property really needs a mixed use component, similar to what is going on accross the street from County Square.  Lets stop treating this part of town like a demilitarized zone and maybe we will spur some much needed further investment.  

Does anyone know the exact recommendations by the DRB in oder to pass review? At the end of the day, that is what we are going to be stuck with regardless of what we say on this board (crossing fingers its something that compels a thoughtful redesign)

Edited by gvegascple

I'm not defénding this project by any means but I think the developer is limited with what can be done on site due to the flood plain. Kind of hard to put retail here due to this. The insurance rates would be through the roof.

Edited by gman430

This is awful.  Please reject this, DRB.

I  think for me, this design is just too lazy.  There is nothing exciting about it, that is what bothers me.  If I was trying to decide which place I would want to choose to live out of the nearby competition, this place as designed has absolutely nothing on any of the others.  The layout is boring, the amenities are boring, there is nothing urban about it other than a pretty lame nod to loft-living.  Downtown, this close to the action, it needs something to make it stand out. It looks like a cookie cutter suburban apt complex that has a milimeter of fake urban sugar coating on top.  It needs something to make me want to live there, being on the "other side" of Academy works against it but holy crap, it fronts right up to a freaking river and the swamp rabbit trail and they completely ignore that, its just lazy and shameful to waste not taking advantage of its surroundings and trying to work with them.  Aside from being fit into its footprint, it ignores everything else about its location, the river, the trail, being downtown, skyline and moutnain views.  Something with a rooftop terrace (remember camperdown) that allows tennants to view those skyline and mounttain views, access to the trail, access to the river, a hip urban setting, all ignored.  what a waste

Well all on here know how I feel about this wreck. But I think they are doing what was ask for from the DRB. They put more attention on the Kroc Center by placing the apartment on Westfield. They even did what I suggested earlier in the process. They went up to the corner of academy and westfield. But I'm still going to say they are going to develope this one peice, with the least amount of effort and be gone.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

One comment from the Board was "looks suburban". It seems that they could really hold that over their head as not having been addressed yet. First big summer thunderstorm and some people's cars will be ruined. I can't imagine them getting a nod to put hard scraping within the flood plain. And if they build it up, then the flooding will pushed accordingly and cause other issues.

I  think for me, this design is just too lazy.  There is nothing exciting about it, that is what bothers me.  If I was trying to decide which place I would want to choose to live out of the nearby competition, this place as designed has absolutely nothing on any of the others.  The layout is boring, the amenities are boring, there is nothing urban about it other than a pretty lame nod to loft-living.  Downtown, this close to the action, it needs something to make it stand out. It looks like a cookie cutter suburban apt complex that has a milimeter of fake urban sugar coating on top.  It needs something to make me want to live there, being on the "other side" of Academy works against it but holy crap, it fronts right up to a freaking river and the swamp rabbit trail and they completely ignore that, its just lazy and shameful to waste not taking advantage of its surroundings and trying to work with them.  Aside from being fit into its footprint, it ignores everything else about its location, the river, the trail, being downtown, skyline and moutnain views.  Something with a rooftop terrace (remember camperdown) that allows tennants to view those skyline and mounttain views, access to the trail, access to the river, a hip urban setting, all ignored.  what a waste

As I remember, their were apartments fronting Westfield all along. Other than to drop the mill look for something worse, i see very little that has changed. 

if you look up the Jacksonville Fl design firm's website, this current design looks to be the pinacle of their most inspiring work.  Their sweet spot/specialty appears to be cookie-cutter suburban.  I wonder if they even visited the site, have any idea of what is going on in Greenville right now, understand how things are trending downtown, have a feel for what the locals are looking for, or know what makes Greenville, well Greenville.  

I've updated my map of developments along the River to include the District West development under construction and the Gateway Lofts proposal  :sick: , as well as reflect the 121 Rhett project. Yellow is under construction or completed, and red is proposed. A lot is/has happened over the last 10 years:

16352344609_5dd91228c2_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of land is for sale right now in this area. Most or all of the Academy-Wardlaw-RR site is on the market including all of the Church property. 

The former dialysis building at 605 Academy St. is as well. Three parcels at Academy and Perry are on the market too.  

Allen Temple has their Main Street frontage listed also.  

M-West is trying to close on phase 1 reservations next week but reservation holders are dropping out left and right. I guess that's what happens when you make promises you have no intention of keeping.

Not surprising. They were supposed to start construction in September but it never happened. I wonder if these potential buyers will pick up on 121 Rhett instead.