The West End

gs3

M-West is trying to close on phase 1 reservations next week but reservation holders are dropping out left and right. I guess that's what happens when you make promises you have no intention of keeping.

I assume you mean they are asking for the nonrefundable 'hard' deposits on the first phase.  If so, that some are dropped is not unusual, as it is only a refundable deposit prior to.  A pretty significant attrition rate is not out of the ordinary in my experience. Supposedly they had all of the first two phases 'reserved' with some backups as well.  If they still get 60% of the first phase truly reserved, that should be enough to proceed.

If I were them, I would get started on the demo if possible.  That may be the holdup though. Tearing down a gas station is probably very bureaucratic.       

I assume you mean they are asking for the nonrefundable 'hard' deposits on the first phase.  If so, that some are dropped is not unusual, as it is only a refundable deposit prior to.  A pretty significant attrition rate is not out of the ordinary in my experience. Supposedly they had all of the first two phases 'reserved' with some backups as well.  If they still get 60% of the first phase truly reserved, that should be enough to proceed.

If I were them, I would get started on the demo if possible.  That may be the holdup though. Tearing down a gas station is probably very bureaucratic.       

Apparently 1027 S. Main is still planned. Two listings added to Realtor.com. Starting prices apparently up from $595k to $645k.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1027-S-Main-St_Greenville_SC_29601_M62240-65705?cid=EML_HA_RD_SS3_ViewListing_Cat1

• 2 weeks later...

This may become a good example of the desire of the owner vs. the desire of the DRB.

Hope this goes well at DRB - critics may have reason to talk - and rather see the owner/investor have their freedom.

Just because some may think a committee can "protect" us all, the real protection needs to be from allowing committees that can force design and costs onto owners.

Tolerate freedom.

\Better yet, support it.

^^ If you are referring to the Montessori School. it is not zoned C4 and i don't believe it is in an overlay district, so the DRB would not have jurisdiction. 

The taxpayers have invested into Downtown and the West End, thus making it an attractive area for others to invest in. Millions of dollars are diverted annually from the general budget to continue investing in these same areas. I don't agree that the taxpayers should have no say in what gets built.  You or I may disagree as to the DRBs criteria or effectiveness, but I reject the idea that they infringe on anybody's rights.  

Do you know the occupancy rate there? The garage always seems pretty full.

Not sure but going off the garage occupancy (one vehicle allowed per unit) I would say around 100 units have been leased. I see tours being given and people moving in on a weekly basis. :)

• 3 weeks later...

City Council gave final reading to Pendleton Street Baptist Church's rezoning (from C-3 to C4) request. The church has signed a letter of intent (which is non-binding) with a developer to sell 3 acres of their property, and build new on the remainder. Now that the rezoning is complete, the pace of the potential deal might pick up.  Word is the developer's project will be residential.  

The Academy/Logan/RR track rezoning received a unanimous approval on first reading.    

City Council gave final reading to Pendleton Street Baptist Church's rezoning (from C-3 to C4) request. The church has signed a letter of intent (which is non-binding) with a developer to sell 3 acres of their property, and build new on the remainder. Now that the rezoning is complete, the pace of the potential deal might pick up.  Word is the developer's project will be residential.  

Wow, that is a bit of a bummer to me.  The architecture of an old church always is a shame to see go.  I totally understand the value of that property but churches seem to buck the trend of demolish and rebuild when land values go up even in highly sought after downtown locations.  I love seeing remnants of the old mixed in with the new and to me, churches keep that going downtown.  I hope that they don't tear down the main church building as part of this.

Edited by gvegascple

I thought they were supposed to be working in the parking lot of the church. Not the main portion of it. But I do agree that would be a travesty for anything to happen to that building. Particularly with it being in the historic district. We have seen stranger things happen lately.