The West End

gs3

• 5 weeks later...

Woof! Cheap, stick-built apartments a block or two off Main are one thing, but I really hope they don't allow one of these cookie-cutter projects on Main Street.

I happen to live in one of these (400 Rhett) thank you very much. $1,560 per month rent=not cheap at all. I personally hope it's boxy and the DRB approves it just to piss off the cry babies like yourself on this forum even more. Some of you lately have been sounding like Heidi Aiken sadly.

Edited by gman430

So I guess this means the church is getting bulldozed?  While it's not an architectural gem, still seems stupid to demolish a perfectly good building rather than repurpose it somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what will be replacing it, but I hope it's something quality, and not the same boring boxes.

Just thinking back to the Master Plan by Sasaki where they characterized different areas of downtown.  Wasn't the Westend to be the "Wearhouse" district and to have a more hip feel to it.  All the apartments popping up down there create a good population density but I think take away from the "Cool" factor I think the master plan envisaged.

I happen to live in one of these (400 Rhett) thank you very much. $1,560 per month rent=not cheap at all. I personally hope it's boxy and the DRB approves it just to piss off the cry babies like yourself on this forum even more. Some of you lately have been sounding like Heidi Aiken sadly.

I meant cheap construction/design, not cheap interior finishes or rent. Of all people, I never expected gman430 to want low-rise, time-stamped apartments on a 3 acre site on Main Street! Spartanburg is building higher-cost and better looking stuff than Greenville! I'm all for growth (don't jump down people's throats for showing the slightest bit of dissatisfaction), but allowing our prime sites to be gobbled up with cookie-cutter product is going to hurt us in the long-run!  

So I guess this means the church is getting bulldozed?  While it's not an architectural gem, still seems stupid to demolish a perfectly good building rather than repurpose it somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what will be replacing it, but I hope it's something quality, and not the same boring boxes.

The inside of the building is in need of a major overhaul. That's in the article they said they had to weigh remodel over rebuild. And besides the property, right now, is worth more than the building itself. So the choice had to be real easy for them.  

3 acres is not a lot of space for 270 apartments plus parking and green space..will be interesting to see the renderings and how tall this will be.

400 Rhett has either 100 or 150 units (can't remember which) on 1 acre, so it is not that small. I wonder if there will be any ground floor retail along Main.  It certainly wasn't mentioned in the article, but it may have not been asked by the reporter. 

It would seem to be a desirable amenity to have for residents.   

I meant cheap construction/design, not cheap interior finishes or rent. Of all people, I never expected gman430 to want low-rise, time-stamped apartments on a 3 acre site on Main Street! Spartanburg is building higher-cost and better looking stuff than Greenville! I'm all for growth (don't jump down people's throats for showing the slightest bit of dissatisfaction), but allowing our prime sites to be gobbled up with cookie-cutter product is going to hurt us in the long-run!

Sorry but I don't find 400 Rhett to be cheap looking at all. I actually like the design and colors of the building. In the West End, you will get nothing but a low rise. The city would never approve of a high rise in that part of downtown.

Article mentions project will feature "Class-AA community" and feature a "pre-cast garage model." 

Google gives me definition for Class-AA office space, but does anyone have any examples of Class-AA apartments? Also, what is a pre-cast garage model" anyway? 

Some of Woodfield's other projects don't look too bad, in my opinion. http://www.woodfieldinvestments.com/photoGallery.asp      I hope they go with a more traditional and fully brick exterior to match the baseball stadium and the surrounding buildings. I'm not sure the look of the beach companies projects would fit on Main St. 

Regarding "cool space" in the West End, I think it will come with population density. But traffic congestion will get worse. The ups and downs of development...

I noticed the auto body shop across the street from the baseball stadium has a sign up talking about an auction for auto body equipment. Do you think they're just getting rid of some stuff they don't use or maybe thinking about selling the property?

Edited by NBNY2GRNVL