The West End

gs3

I noticed the auto body shop across the street from the baseball stadium has a sign up talking about an auction for auto body equipment. Do you think they're just getting rid of some stuff they don't use or maybe thinking about selling the property?

The property is under contract.

Man that is such a prime spot being across the street from the baseball stadium. I mean literally a couple thousand people pouring out of there a hundred nights per year. I always thought that was the spot for a midsize music venue.

Or however many nights there are home games

I hope the city is planning a garage down this way. I'll be interested to see how they handle parking.

I wonder how long the corner parcel will remain surface parking. At some point, it has to be tempting to sell that. Does St Andrews own it?

I hope the city is planning a garage down this way. I'll be interested to see how they handle parking.

I wonder how long the corner parcel will remain surface parking. At some point, it has to be tempting to sell that. Does St Andrews own it?

I've been hoping for a garage in this area. Where do you think one would fit best? If a hotel is going here, a garage would make sense to be included with it. 

Edited by SVL

The 10th hotel on Main Street?  It is wider than I thought or they must be using Main Street as a alternate term for downtown Greenville.

Is the city going in with the garage?  There is a need for extra parking in that area. 

It is remarkable that the number of hotels could double in just a couple of years.  Does anyone know the expected number of rooms to be added with each of these new ones?  The expansion in hotel rooms could also reinforce the hopes of building some sort of convention center downtown.

Yes, St. Andrew's owns the surface parking lot at the corner.

Three big projects for that two block area: town homes, apartments and now an an extended stay suite hotel. I hope these new developments honor the urban feel of that area. I agree that a parking garage will be vital. These developments will also likely spur more retail, bars and restaurants.

The 10th hotel on Main Street?  It is wider than I thought or they must be using Main Street as a alternate term for downtown Greenville.

Is the city going in with the garage?  There is a need for extra parking in that area. 

It is remarkable that the number of hotels could double in just a couple of years.  Does anyone know the expected number of rooms to be added with each of these new ones?  The expansion in hotel rooms could also reinforce the hopes of building some sort of convention center downtown.

If you consider all of Riverplace as being 'on Main', then yes, they are all on Main.

Embassy Suites is 156, Aloft 144, Home 2 is 117, Camperdown 140. Total of 557 plus whatever Homewood Suites brings.   

Edited by vicupstate

If you consider all of Riverplace as being 'on Main', then yes, they are all on Main.

^^Which is pretty ridiculous considering Embassy Suites is a full 2 blocks west of Main Street. But, that's typical of Greenville News reporting.

With 121 Rhett breaking ground, Link West End under construction, and planned Markley Row, Pendleton Street Baptist redevelopment, and this hotel, I hope we see the Rhett Street streetscaping come to reality and the power lines buried.

• Like 1

I have a bad feeling this project is going to be small and boring like the Home 2 Suites going up currently.

Man I hope not. This has a chance to be special being right across the street from the baseball stadium. I'm rooting for spectacular.  :fun:

I have a bad feeling this project is going to be small and boring like the Home 2 Suites going up currently.

OMG me too!  Home 2 Suites reminds me of 98 McBee, the biggest architectural mistake downtown.  I had hoped that everyone cringes when they think of that place and remembers it before approving sub-standard designs.  Home 2 Suites proved me wrong, and now this one feels eerily similar (at this point).  I sure hope the city doesn't screw this up and takes their time.  This should match the warehouse district vibe and NOT look like something you find off of a highway exit, which in my opinion, a lot of these hotels tend to look like.

Edited by gvegascple

I'm feeling you gman. When I went to their website I noticed that they do only one style of hotel, except for one. Suburban off the highway. That's why I am skeptical about what they may want to build. Now the city may want to hold their feet to the fire on what they want. But I think the guide lines for the area may ultimately maybe the deciding factor of what goes there.

Something similar to this might fit the area. This is a Homewood Suites in Indianapolis.

HG_exterior2_2_505x305_FitToBoxSmallDime

I don't think anything like that would ever be in Greenville. We don't have that kind of vibe. But who knows. The new Hyatt Place in Columbia is kinda like that and it fits in. But the new hotel here will be on the corner and not in the middle of the block. So I think we will see something else altogether. But that's my opinion. Edited by MAJIKMAN