The West End

gs3

Btoy you are so right. Sphinx is really feeling the pressure and are trying to fend off QT with their property acquisitions. Especially in their own backyard. But from my understanding, Sphinx isn't QT's prime competition. It's McDonald's. That's why they started changing all their store formats to include food and better beverage options. The Rutherford McDonalds is a good example. When QT started lowering the price of something. McDonalds followed suit.  This is happening in every market they are in. Not just not just in Greenville. 

Gvegas I feel what you are talking about. There really has to be a way for these types of developements to coexist in a more urban Greenville landscape. In the case of this particular site. They are supposed to install light directors and the standard buffer type plants. That may help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Sphinx owns three of the four corners at Pendleton and 123.  One of which is their current store which will be replaced.  

About 6 months ago, I heard someone tried to buy the old Bank of America lot and half of the block on the other side but it fell though, the deal was contingent on the home owners selling (and cheap) from what I hear which did not happen.  I wonder if that is the corner they dont own and it was QT trying to squeeze in there. Suppose it could have been sphinx trying to make some money off that corner as well (as long as it wasnt to QT)

Edited by gvegascple

3 hours ago, MAJIKMAN said:

Btoy you are so right. Sphinx is really feeling the pressure and are trying to fend off QT with their property acquisitions. Especially in their own backyard. But from my understanding, Sphinx isn't QT's prime competition. It's McDonald's. That's why they started changing all their store formats to include food and better beverage options. The Rutherford McDonalds is a good example. When QT started lowering the price of something. McDonalds followed suit.  This is happening in every market they are in. Not just not just in Greenville. 

Gvegas I feel what you are talking about. There really has to be a way for these types of developements to coexist in a more urban Greenville landscape. In the case of this particular site. They are supposed to install light directors and the standard buffer type plants. That may help. 

I just know something like this is eventually (possibly sooner rather than later) going to impact me.  Are there residential noise and light pollution ordinances that apply to commercial establishments that move in near by?  Do they apply to the cars their clients drive or from their clients hanging out, yelling, getting into arguments after buying that last 6 pack at 2 am?  

On 11/24/2015, 10:30:28, MAJIKMAN said:
16 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The proposed QT requires a rezoning and I assume a special exception as well. The rezoning comes up in Dec. and I assume the special exception would come behind that.

I will be learning more about this tomorrow night.  

They are also going to have to increase their offer to the liquor store on the corner as they have not accepted any of the previous offers from QT for that spot.

Edited by gvegascple

2 hours ago, transplant08 said:

I've seen the plan.  It is built around the liquor store with entrances on Academy and Markley

So... we will have Liquor store, then gas station/convenience store, then soup kitchen, just need a pawn shop next, ugh.  I am going to be optimistic that care is taken to prevent this corner from being crime central (and I know we need this stuff, just seems to be coming together a bit too much like the Perfect Storm of what not to put next to each other.)

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

So... we will have Liquor store, then gas station/convenience store, then soup kitchen, just need a pawn shop next, ugh.  I am going to be optimistic that care is taken to prevent this corner from being crime central (and I know we need this stuff, just seems to be coming together a bit too much like the Perfect Storm of what not to put next to each other.)

Agreed. The neighborhood bordered by Ware / Rhett / Markley / Academy will not benefit from this development, and certainly not the undeveloped areas around this location - imho. Who would pay $400k + to live a block from this section (liquor store, gas station, soup kitchen)? 

Granted, QT puts down a quality gas station. Probably the cleanest and well run I've ever been to. And the area needs one. But a gas station is a gas station, they all will increase traffic, noise, and light pollution. I had hoped the liquor store and soup kitchen would eventually relocate. The soup kitchen, maybe, but the liquor store will likely realize a business boon with this development. 

• Like 1

Is the soup kitchen still open? I never see anyone there, of course, I don't go by there all times of the day.  Also, I thought that property was on the market or at least was recently.  

BTW, as I understand it, the Liquor Store is not allowed under the existing zoning but is grandfathered in. If it were to cease operations for more than 180 days, it would lose that and it could no longer serve that use.  

5 hours ago, gvegascple said:

Pawn shops aren't allowed so no need to worry lol

• Like 1

QT eyes West End site

Traffic seemed to be the primary concern of residents at the meeting last night, specifically the Markley Street impact.  There are multiple approvals required from the various city boards so this will take several months.

QT is still in negotiations with the liquor store, but it is not likely that they will be included.   

On 12/1/2015, 4:40:52, vicupstate said:

Is the soup kitchen still open? I never see anyone there, of course, I don't go by there all times of the day.  Also, I thought that property was on the market or at least was recently.  

BTW, as I understand it, the Liquor Store is not allowed under the existing zoning but is grandfathered in. If it were to cease operations for more than 180 days, it would lose that and it could no longer serve that use.  

Yes Project Host is still open, I've volunteered there a couple of times, think it is a great place and a great service for Greenville.  They are only open from 11 am to noon although there are people that hang out there when its not open.  I am concerned that having it next to a place to buy singles of beer will encourage (increased - it already exists at gas stations in the area) panhandling, increase the number of people that loiter beyond the times they are open and up the risk for crime, car break ins, grab and run/shoplifting from QT, drunken fights/loud arguments, etc.  No way can I see this combination adding to the area, just to those passing through at our expense.

Edited by gvegascple

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Yes Project Host is still open, I've volunteered there a couple of times, think it is a great place and a great service for Greenville.  They are only open from 11 am to noon although there are people that hang out there when its not open.  I am concerned that having it next to a place to buy singles of beer will encourage (increased - it already exists at gas stations in the area) panhandling, increase the number of people that loiter beyond the times they are open and up the risk for crime, car break ins, grab and run/shoplifting from QT, drunken fights/loud arguments, etc.  No way can I see this combination adding to the area, just to those passing through at our expense.

The QT at Rutherford agreed to not sell singles at the request of the Viola and Southernside neighborhoods.  I presume they'll do the same for this location as well.

• Like 1

^^The same lessons that QT learned from Rutherford I believe they will do on Academy. The first is not sell singles. The second is having security at the store at strategic times throughout the day. The final step will be to not have the table and chairs setup they have at other locations. They removed the ones that were at the Rutherford location. The last two really discouraged the unwanted behavior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAJIKMAN said:

^^The same lessons that QT learned from Rutherford I believe they will do on Academy. The first is not sell singles. The second is having security at the store at strategic times throughout the day. The final step will be to not have the table and chairs setup they have at other locations. They removed the ones that were at the Rutherford location. The last two really discouraged the unwanted behavior. 

This was a big topic of discussion at the meeting and QT is doing all of the above. 

Craft Beer Taproom eyes Falls Park Dr. building

The West End is poised for a new concept in how craft beer is consumed — and with plans for the “pour-your-own” taproom would come a face lift for a prime World War II-era building near the gateway to Falls Park.

The new venture, Pour Taproom, would set up shop in the former location of the Miniature World of Trains and Falls Park Golf & Games, next to Gringo’s restaurant on Falls Park Drive.

Downtown would mark the second location for what owner Nate Tomforde says is a craft beer taproom driven by technological innovation that allows craft beer enthusiasts to pay by the ounce.

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Craft Beer Taproom eyes Falls Park Dr. building

The West End is poised for a new concept in how craft beer is consumed — and with plans for the “pour-your-own” taproom would come a face lift for a prime World War II-era building near the gateway to Falls Park.

The new venture, Pour Taproom, would set up shop in the former location of the Miniature World of Trains and Falls Park Golf & Games, next to Gringo’s restaurant on Falls Park Drive.

Downtown would mark the second location for what owner Nate Tomforde says is a craft beer taproom driven by technological innovation that allows craft beer enthusiasts to pay by the ounce.

Wow! This sounds cool and I like that that building would be getting a face lift. 

Loose Reed brewing coming to Augusta Street in the old Growler Station space.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/2-new-locations-keep-upstate-beer-scene-hopping/