The West End

gs3

36 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I ate at Gather GVL on Sunday late afternoon.  It was pretty packed.  There were about three places that were not opened yet, but I imagine will be soon. 

The HenDough  place had the longest line and I had the smothered chicken biscuit from there.  I give it Two thumbs up.  Their donuts looked really good too, but I didn't partake. 

It is very early in the life of this project, but I think they may need to explore any option that might be available to expand.   They are surrounded by the Transit property, so they might want to start talking to the city now.   If it was that crowded on a chilly day and everything isn't even opened yet, they may not be able to handle the crowds that show up later.  

Thanks for sharing the review! This place will be a mad house on baseball days. Can't wait to check it out! 

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

I ate at Gather GVL on Sunday late afternoon.  It was pretty packed.  There were about three places that were not opened yet, but I imagine will be soon. 

The HenDough  place had the longest line and I had the smothered chicken biscuit from there.  I give it Two thumbs up.  Their donuts looked really good too, but I didn't partake. 

It is very early in the life of this project, but I think they may need to explore any option that might be available to expand.   They are surrounded by the Transit property, so they might want to start talking to the city now.   If it was that crowded on a chilly day and everything isn't even opened yet, they may not be able to handle the crowds that show up later.  

They couldn't handle the crowds on Saturday afternoon. They were at capacity and had a line waiting to get in.

40 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

They couldn't handle the crowds on Saturday afternoon. They were at capacity and had a line waiting to get in.

Capacity as in the Fire Marshall limit is met or Capacity as in they weren't prepared to serve the customers quickly enough?   Scarecity/long lines to get in is great advertising and for creating demand.  It sounds like they had a great opening week.  

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Capacity as in the Fire Marshall limit is met or Capacity as in they weren't prepared to serve the customers quickly enough?   Scarecity/long lines to get in is great advertising and for creating demand.  It sounds like they had a great opening week.  

I'm pretty sure it was a fire Marshall limit issue. They definitely had a great opening week. There were a few vendors that were unprepared for the demand. A lot of stuff was sold out by mid-afternoon.

But, I'm sure they'll figure out the supply/demand as they get a little experience under their belt. 

58 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

I'm pretty sure it was a fire Marshall limit issue. They definitely had a great opening week. There were a few vendors that were unprepared for the demand. A lot of stuff was sold out by mid-afternoon.

But, I'm sure they'll figure out the supply/demand as they get a little experience under their belt. 

Wow, that is pretty impressive.  I cant wait to check it out.  They keep this up and they will have to get one of those red velvet ropes to put out front.

Steve-And-Doug-At-The-Roxbury-76885.gif

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

There is a community meeting scheduled for 3/23 at Cigar Warehouse involving 401 Rhett St.  No details on the plans though. 

Interesting -- I can't wait to hear more on the plans! I'd love to see all (or at least a portion) of that building saved for a cool re-use. Not that it's anything special right now, but with some murals, that could really be a character-building/place-making structure for the district. Not to mention, whatever does land in this area will have ease of access to lots of residential units. 

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The 3/23 Community meeting is still on but attendance will be limited to 10 people at a time.  There is a chance to view the meeting online. 

The project is seeking a BZA board approval to operate an Event venue.  McMillan Pazdan Smith is leading the meeting.  

Thanks. Do you know exactly what is planned? Is it a renovation of the current building or new development? 

On 3/20/2020 at 10:21 AM, vicupstate said:

The 3/23 Community meeting is still on but attendance will be limited to 10 people at a time.  There is a chance to view the meeting online. 

The project is seeking a BZA board approval to operate an Event venue.  McMillan Pazdan Smith is leading the meeting.  

The existing building will be preserved and a second floor added over most of the building.  The new floor will have a vaulted roof.  The second floor will have permanent seating facing the stage. They are looking to fill the 'House of Blues' type venue niche here in Greenville.  Planning for May DRB meeting.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

The existing building will be preserved and a second floor added over most of the building.  The new floor will have a vaulted roof.  The second floor will have permanent seating facing the stage. They are looking to fill the 'House of Blues' type venue niche here in Greenville.  Planning for May DRB meeting.   

EXCELLENT! And what a great location for such a venue!

14 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Are there any renderings online that you know of? 

A few more details: 

What is now a parking lot on the corner of the property will be a plaza.  Obviously that will be diagonal to McClaren's plaza. There will be a  patio on the second floor that the vaulted roof will also cover.  The alcove on Rhett Street will be the VIP entrance. 

• Like 2