The West End

gs3

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, vicupstate said:

A 104 unit apartment/townhouse project is proposed for the N. Calhoun, Ware St . Perry Ave. area.

I believe it involves the property in RED in the link but it may be the Blue part as well.   Not 100% sure of either though.

Ware & Calhoun

What's your source on this? 

On 7/28/2020 at 9:26 PM, vicupstate said:

A 104 unit apartment/townhouse project is proposed for the N. Calhoun, Ware St . Perry Ave. area.

I believe it involves the property in RED in the link but it may be the Blue part as well.   Not 100% sure of either though.

Ware & Calhoun

The red and Blue areas in the link are indeed part of this project (also the small parcel that is excluded from the Red parcel).  Also included are 100-108 Perry Avenue, which is owned by HUD.  

68: 3-story Townhouses that take up most of the site plan. 

36 apartments. These will front on Academy and Calhoun.  

Rental only with 25% being set aside for Affordable but the income range is TBD at the moment.   The HUD properties at 100-108 Perry Ave. will be demolished.  Neighborhood meeting will likely be held this month with city meetings next month.  That sounds a little aggressive to me though. This is a joint project between HUD and a private developer.  There is a HUD meeting Thursday that has this on the agenda.  

DRD would have to approve the design. I believe either the Board of Zoning Appeals or the Planning Commission or both would have to give an approval.  The number of units is denser than what current zoning allows.  

45 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The red and Blue areas in the link are indeed part of this project (also the small parcel that is excluded from the Red parcel).  Also included are 100-108 Perry Avenue, which is owned by HUD.  

Rental only with 25% being set aside for Affordable but the income range is TBD at the moment.   The HUD properties at 100-108 Perry Ave. will be demolished.  Neighborhood meeting will likely be held this month with city meetings next month.  That sounds a little aggressive to me though. This is a joint project between HUD and a private developer.  There is a HUD meeting Thursday that has this on the agenda.  

DRD would have to approve the design. I believe either the Board of Zoning Appeals or the Planning Commission or both would have to give an approval.  The number of units is denser than what current zoning allows.  

Thanks for the update. Is it essentially the property outlined below?

2020-08-04_20-42-01.thumb.jpg.08151ab0556dc7238306880c39ba558b.jpg

Edited by GMoxley
correction

12 hours ago, vicupstate said:

That's a lot more than I expected them to be able to fit on that site. I'd take the density. 

1 hour ago, GMoxley said:

image.png.5e9a128893245468d89fcb7acdbc0f57.png

WOW.  They're sure maxing out this site. I like that they're connecting a lot of these streets together. From a broader look at things, I'm really happy to see so many projects along Academy Street. This corridor will be much improved when all is said and done. 

I was hoping by some chance this project would include the (now closed) Dialysis place at Academy  and McCall.  It has been on the market for some time. 

I will say there will be some opposition to this from SOME of the neighbors.  This plan may morph in some fashion before it is over. 

I have always thought the five HUD houses on Perry looked out of place. The architecture is dissimilar to the rest of the street and they each sit on their lots at different depths even though they look the same.  I won't miss those leaving. 

3 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

I can’t think that suing one’s tenants would help build long-term relationships with them.

If the the landlord interprets the lease one way and the tenants another, maybe the lawyer that drafted it screwed up?

Maybe the lawyers whiffed, but this kind of thing is not uncommon. it's a cost of doing business. Neither side can afford to take it personally.

• Like 1

Cocabella, 601 South, and Eric Brown Design are all closed and empty now. Ouch. Oddly enough, nothing to my knowledge has closed along Main Street or anywhere else downtown. These are all on Augusta and in one little section.

Cook’s Station is empty also but they moved so I don’t count that as a closing.

Edited by gman430