The West End

gs3

18 minutes ago, ursa carolina said:

Relax everyone.

It’s over. They’re done for. Not sure why they didn’t try to get financial help from the city, county, and federal government. Also not sure why they never at least tried to reopen like every other restaurant has done. These things tell me there’s more to the story than meets the eye. I’m willing to bet the pandemic was an excuse to close and not the main reason behind it. Sad.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GMoxley said:

This is the former FunnelDelicious spot right across from what will be Jackson Way.  Nobody wants a drivethru there.... that land needs to be developed into mixed use higher density.

THE "SOUTH DOWNTOWN"/AUGUSTA ST. AREA IS PROMOTING MIXED USE AND CONSUMER FRIENDLY BUSINESSES SUCH AS BOUTIQUE SHOPPING AND SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS, RITA'S FITS THAT CATEGORY

I've never laughed harder in my life. Crappy chain italian ice with a drivethru does not fit in with mixed use / boutique shopping.

Also, per that article - "Buck confirmed plans are in place to reopen Husk Greenville as a slightly different concept, but declined to share details about those plans, deferring to Neighborhood Dining Group." So sounds like they are working on retooling the space. Eager to see what they do with it.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

We should get in the Dubai/Saudi Arabia race. I'm seeing the Dubai Creek Tower will 1,345 meters (over 4000 ft)! :blink:

Now you’re talking. :D And to think there are people out there who feel like a 15 story building on the county square site would be too tall. LOL. 

• Haha 1

As you all have perhaps noticed, we're in the middle of a pandemic. We've been pretty lucky so far, but there's a good chance retail and restaurants will take a serious hit before all this is over, we could be looking at a downtown stuffed with vacancies. I think anything wanting to move in right now should be welcomed. Plus, this site is on the very periphery of downtown, not in the middle of Main St. I think this is way more desirable than the site sitting vacant for years, beggars can't be choosers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GMoxley said:

Ware/Perry Development - Includes townhomes, parking garage, and apartments. https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7665?fileID=35729

They had to get creative to cobble all of this together. It's a bit of a shame that a stretch of Ware Street was (presumably) abandoned at some point. It will be nice to have the 5 story building along Academy!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Am I alone in worrying about the virgin tree canopy near DT? There aren't many swaths of old oaks, poplars and elms around anymore. I'm all for development, but there needs to be balance.

Is something in particular worrying you? 

Unity Park should be cause for celebration on the tree front. Additionally, having County Square redeveloped will absorb a lot of development potential and focus it on a currently impervious tract of land (and I imagine will actually be a net gain of trees on the site). Come to think of it, I would think most new development downtown is probably adding trees (i.e. Federal Courthouse with its grounds and plantings on an existing parking lot). The City (I believe, or maybe in coordination with Trees Upstate?)  recently distributed a tree survey with questions regarding trees, preserving the existing canopy, etc to help inform policy decisions. I'm sure more can always be done, but I don't think the City is veering drastically off course at the moment. I would like to see more robust streetscaping conducted along such streets as Stone, and Academy.

• Like 1