The West End

gs3

On 11/5/2020 at 8:59 AM, GvilleSC said:

Is something in particular worrying you? 

Unity Park should be cause for celebration on the tree front. Additionally, having County Square redeveloped will absorb a lot of development potential and focus it on a currently impervious tract of land (and I imagine will actually be a net gain of trees on the site). Come to think of it, I would think most new development downtown is probably adding trees (i.e. Federal Courthouse with its grounds and plantings on an existing parking lot). The City (I believe, or maybe in coordination with Trees Upstate?)  recently distributed a tree survey with questions regarding trees, preserving the existing canopy, etc to help inform policy decisions. I'm sure more can always be done, but I don't think the City is veering drastically off course at the moment. I would like to see more robust streetscaping conducted along such streets as Stone, and Academy.

I was more thinking of the "urban forest" in neighborhoods as opposed to just plantings as part of the landscape architecture. Unity Park is definitely a huge win and I participated in the City's survey (we are blessed in Greenville), but, in general, I think neighborhoods are also made better with a few stands of old virgin forest where kids can go explore and play. Those are quickly becoming extinct near DT, that's all.

9 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

I was more thinking of the "urban forest" in neighborhoods as opposed to just plantings as part of the landscape architecture. Unity Park is definitely a huge win and I participated in the City's survey (we are blessed in Greenville), but, in general, I think neighborhoods are also made better with a few stands of old virgin forest where kids can go explore and play. Those are quickly becoming extinct near DT, that's all.

Gotcha. This is an interesting conversation to have. I do hope that as more of the trail system is developed, that much of it can become true greenways to protect existing old growth, and promote sustainable new planting opportunities.  I'd like to see the area between 385 and the Overbrook neighborhood re-forested.

Just wondering "aloud":I wonder if there is an opportunity or political will to formally allow increased density in the city for a fee that would go toward purchasing tracts of land for preservation? We'd need a masterplan that would prioritize parcels for eventual continuity, but it could be a fruitful endeavor and help direct growth. 

To my point about County Square (and other developments) is that they're concentrating a lot of development potential on tracts of land that are currently under-utilized. This removes some potential pressure to develop greenfield sites (not sure how many actually exist around downtown, but nonetheless). Actually -- this is probably the greatest benefit of the new trail extension along Laurens Road. There is a lot of redevelopment potential there that is going to relieve some of the housing and commercial pressures elsewhere in the City and County. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, GvilleSC said:

Gotcha. This is an interesting conversation to have. I do hope that as more of the trail system is developed, that much of it can become true greenways to protect existing old growth, and promote sustainable new planting opportunities.  I'd like to see the area between 385 and the Overbrook neighborhood re-forested.

Just wondering "aloud":I wonder if there is an opportunity or political will to formally allow increased density in the city for a fee that would go toward purchasing tracts of land for preservation? We'd need a masterplan that would prioritize parcels for eventual continuity, but it could be a fruitful endeavor and help direct growth. 

To my point about County Square (and other developments) is that they're concentrating a lot of development potential on tracts of land that are currently under-utilized. This removes some potential pressure to develop greenfield sites (not sure how many actually exist around downtown, but nonetheless). Actually -- this is probably the greatest benefit of the new trail extension along Laurens Road. There is a lot of redevelopment potential there that is going to relieve some of the housing and commercial pressures elsewhere in the City and County. 

Totally agree, replacing bad development with good development >>>> replacing old growth forest with any development if the potential exists. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Looks to be the Allen Temple parking lot, which is next to the parking lot at Main and Markley that CAP owns. 

Ideally, both lots get developed together.  That's a great location, one of the best left on Main Street.

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Drilling now underway in the other parking lot between the one in the picture I took and the small retail strip center that used to be home to the city parking authority along Main Street.

That too is owned by Allen Temple. They had their property listed for sale about 4 years ago, and from what I was told then,  it was under contract. For whatever reason the church did not proceed at that time.  At that time they had all of their property in that block included, which is  2.66  acres.  Of course, now it is in an Opportunity Zone, so it is even more desirable from a development perspective.  

57 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

Any ideas on what's being developed?

Not a clue but I could have sworn I read somewhere that this is where the City Of Greenville is planning to build a new parking garage due to the lost spots at County Square due to the development there. 

9 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Not a clue but I could have sworn I read somewhere that this is where the City Of Greenville is planning to build a new parking garage due to the lost spots at County Square due to the development there. 

I don't know that I have read that but it has certainly been rather obvious as a possibility. Likewise the land that Pendleton Street Baptist still owns would be an option too.  Of course the Transit Authority property is high on the list of potentials as well. 

Ideally, I would like to see a garage at the transit property and one of the other two also. Splitting the replacement spaces into two separate garages has been discussed. 

I would expect the city would want to build any garage in conjunction with a major private development that would be the primary user of the garage.        

On 11/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, gman430 said:

Drilling now underway in the other parking lot between the one in the picture I took and the small retail strip center that used to be home to the city parking authority along Main Street.

Survey stakes and utility marking spray paint now going in on both lots. 

11 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The images appear to just be concept images. However, I like the townhouse design concept that they're showing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

City is buying .72 acres from C.A.P.  next to the transit property and along both sides of the RR track 

Field Street Improvements

Looks like their plan is to create a parking lot. Probably the best short-term use of the property. Hopefully when this can eventually be combined with the transit authority land for some better usage. 

25 minutes ago, LBT said:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2020/12/18/heres-what-greenville-wants-do-west-end-entertainment-district/3903724001/

I am also looking forward to the proposed music venue on Rhett behind the Cigar Warehouse. The West End is coming along.

You're right -- the West End has seen transformational change over the past 15 years. And to think: it now sits nestled between Unity Park and downtown's largest development (County Square). It is primed to see another 15 years of radical redevelopment. I really want to see North Main and the greater North End experience growth, but there's just so much energy concentrated along the Reedy and points to the south and west. 

Edited by GvilleSC