The West End

gs3

54 minutes ago, LBT said:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2020/12/18/heres-what-greenville-wants-do-west-end-entertainment-district/3903724001/

I am also looking forward to the proposed music venue on Rhett behind the Cigar Warehouse. The West End is coming along.

Did I completely miss that Pendleton built a sanctuary? I know that was the plan, but I didn't think it ever happened. 

image.png.8ef46742137c9df395778799e3b196c1.png

GMoxley, 

3 hours ago, GMoxley said:

Did I completely miss that Pendleton built a sanctuary? I know that was the plan, but I didn't think it ever happened. 

image.png.8ef46742137c9df395778799e3b196c1.png

No. There has NOT been a new building built for them there or anywhere else. They did purchase land/building at Anderson and Arlington to do SOMETHIMG with, but may or may not be a sanctuary.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are we sure the stand alone Starbucks on Main Street got rejected??? The site grading permit issued last week says otherwise. Hmmm... :ermm:

Edit: looks like the BZA did approve it: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7364?fileID=34967 :blink: At least the parking will be in the back...I guess.

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Are we sure the stand alone Starbucks on Main Street got rejected??? The site grading permit issued last week says otherwise. Hmmm... :ermm:

Edit: looks like the BZA did approve it: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7364?fileID=34967 :blink: At least the parking will be in the back...I guess.

The minutes says it was denied 4-1.  CAP's name  is on the permit, not Starbucks. 

5 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The minutes says it was denied 4-1.  CAP's name  is on the permit, not Starbucks. 

Ahhh...good to hear. Wonder what the site grading permit is for then? CAP is the owner of the site. 

Edited by gman430

11 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It will be less of a traffic issue as the lot will not generate a steady stream of traffic.  The long range plan is to merge the site into the GTA property. 

True. As long as it's just temporary it'll be ok.  Looking forward to seeing the plans for the merge.

Edited by SVL

The Ware Street project will be on the Feb. Planning Commision agenda. The current iteration has eliminated the parking garage. The 5 story building at Academy and Calhoun will have one level of parking underground and one level at grade.  The 3 story Ware Street building will consist of a 2 story THs with  a 1 story flat  on top.  The total number of units (138) is the same. 25% of those are Workforce.      

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Mosaic at West End

Latest version of Mosaic. It is a long document. The new site layout is on page 37. 

Getting rid of the garage should go a long way towards getting this approved. The neighbors will still object on other grounds though.  

It's lame because we are literally in the city. Should be taller honestly to help Academy not feel so massive for pedestrians.

Not impressed with this project at all. The layout is just weird and flat out boring. The site needs to be wider and taller with more mixed use aspects. The developers should have bought the old dialysis building next door and expanded it down Academy Street. Why they didn’t do that is absolutely baffling. I’m sure the nimby’s will kill the entire project like the way they screwed over County Square so it probably doesn’t matter at the end of the day anyways. 

Edited by gman430

5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Not impressed with this project at all. The layout is just weird and flat out boring. The site needs to be wider and taller with more mixed use aspects. The developers should have bought the old dialysis building next door and expanded it down Academy Street. Why they didn’t do that is absolutely baffling. I’m sure the nimby’s will kill the entire project like the way they screwed over County Square so it probably doesn’t matter at the end of the day anyways. 

I agree on the Dialysis property, but if the seller won't budge and the numbers don't work,  what choice do you have?  While there will probably be more tweaks, I expect this will get approved eventually.  JUST AS COUNTY SQUARE did.  The ugly HUD houses that stick out like a sore thumb will be gone, and that alone is a big improvement to say nothing of a sizeable increase in density.  

BTW, there is retail space in this project, in the ground floor of the Academy street building. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:44 AM, gman430 said:

Any word yet on what is being planned for the parking lots behind the West End Community Development Center? Somebody on this forum has to know something. 

The word is that a developer will be purchasing the parking lots and the community center to build a mixed use development, with retail fronting main street. It may go before BZA in April for an informal hearing...

38 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

The word is that a developer will be purchasing the parking lots and the community center to build a mixed use development, with retail fronting main street. It may go before BZA in April for an informal hearing...

Excellent news. Thanks.