The West End

gs3

2 hours ago, GMoxley said:

The word is that a developer will be purchasing the parking lots and the community center to build a mixed use development, with retail fronting main street. It may go before BZA in April for an informal hearing...

Five stories, btw. The 'BZA' is probably the BRD actually. If so, that meeting is in 2 weeks (April 1). We should know a lot more then.

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Who is the developer? 

i don't know, but they are from Charlotte.  The Greene (across the street )and the .408  Jackson project now under construction are both Woodfield Investments  projects and they are located in Charlotte. perhaps it is them. 

6 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

i don't know, but they are from Charlotte.  The Greene (across the street )and the .408  Jackson project now under construction are both Woodfield Investments  projects and they are located in Charlotte. perhaps it is them. 

Thanks. The Post & Courier is gonna do some investigating. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Skyliner said:

Does anyone know why this "West End area plan" excludes a significant portion of the actual West End, or is this an attempt to redefine the boundary?  I consider the notion confusing.

What areas does the plan exclude?

43 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

What areas does the plan exclude?

All of the Falls Park area, including half of everything along Main Street and Augusta Street.  Falls Cottage, Smoke on the Water (actually all of the West End Market), The Warehouse Theater, Smiley's Acoustic Café, Brick Street Lofts/Café, etc.  I would include everything along Dunbar, the Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital campus, Plush Mill, Kroc Center, A.J. Whittenberg Elementary School, etc.

Edited to add that I hate boundaries when they divide otherwise cohesive communities.  How can a community plan ignore (separate itself from) everything on one side of its most important streets?  These aren't wide streets with rapidly moving vehicles.

Edited by Skyliner
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:24 PM, vicupstate said:

Any updates on this?

42 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Just noticed that not only does this project include Allen Temple's property but ALSO, the .45 acre  CAP property on the corner of Markley and Main.  Total acreage for all four parcels is 3.119 acres.

Great! It’d be a shame if the corner property wasn’t included in a major redevelopment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

I hope the massing is better and more interesting than The Greene. That one is so out of scale and not very interesting. 

The Greene will be a lot less 'out of scale' once there is a 5 story building across from it.  To say nothing of one likely being built at the Citgo station. 

8 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The Greene will be a lot less 'out of scale' once there is a 5 story building across from it.  To say nothing of one likely being built at the Citgo station. 

It’s not about height for me. It’s the freaking long, continuous wall of facade that would be out of scale most places, not just this neighborhood or Greenville.

I actually think the height reduction (1 floor) against the single family houses was ineffectual and not needed.

Edited by GvilleSC