The West End

gs3

Personally, I can't imagine why AA picked the first location to begin with. If anyone saw it, it wasn't close to anything else. Actually, it would have been one of the only things on the street open. When most people walk down to the West End they usually visit Smoke on the Water or Mellow Mushroom and then turn back towards the park. I see it all the time. Very rarely have I seen anyone walk the direction AA would have been unless there is a ballgame. And if the only traffic they would get is at game time, then it's probably better for them that they didn't come. The one thing West End is lacking is a shopping DESTINATION. The park is a strolling destination and Smoke and Mellow Mushroom are eateries, but there are no places to shop down there and I don't see AA pulling in a lot of business on there own...

Personally, I can't imagine why AA picked the first location to begin with. If anyone saw it, it wasn't close to anything else. Actually, it would have been one of the only things on the street open. When most people walk down to the West End they usually visit Smoke on the Water or Mellow Mushroom and then turn back towards the park. I see it all the time. Very rarely have I seen anyone walk the direction AA would have been unless there is a ballgame. And if the only traffic they would get is at game time, then it's probably better for them that they didn't come. The one thing West End is lacking is a shopping DESTINATION. The park is a strolling destination and Smoke and Mellow Mushroom are eateries, but there are no places to shop down there and I don't see AA pulling in a lot of business on there own...

Well there has to be things down there for people to cross Augusta/River St. I agree a good solid anchor is what the West End needs that far down. It's about time the West End gets a hotel (Hampton Inn is too close to downtown to count). That would "inspire" a lot of investment- such as resturants and SHOPPING! A department store would have similar effect but more so toward shops! I think a hotel just across the Railroad tracks from the stadium and a department store across Main would be ideal to anchor for this end... Imagine the entire stretch of Main Street if similar success to the Hyatt's impact on North Main hit South Main that was formerly Pendleton Street... WOW! :shades:

That's AWESOME! Thanks for sharing those! This is one of the greatest tributes to Shoeless Joe. Better than his statue at the West End Market, better than his park (where ever it is), his parkway (doesn't he has a memorial parkway or street?)... I really like the plaque. I wish he were here to see it himself! Way to go Greenville! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ These are the couple of storefronts that used to have that bad white siding covering the fronts (near the Life is Good store). The siding has been removed in the renovations and these stores are taking on their original good looks. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any info on what's going on with Oysters on the West End that was supposed to go in across from Riverplace on Camperdown? I check on it often but there never seems to be any progress. The sign in the window still says coming in May 2006. I was excited at the prospect of a rooftop bar (and oysters!).

Does anyone have any info on what's going on with Oysters on the West End that was supposed to go in across from Riverplace on Camperdown? I check on it often but there never seems to be any progress. The sign in the window still says coming in May 2006. I was excited at the prospect of a rooftop bar (and oysters!).

You'll be encouraged to know that I just met and spoke with a couple men in Falls Park who will be doing the electrical work on that project. They said things are about to get underway. It was a chance meeting with a great reward. Virtually every visit to Falls Park provides a new acquaintance of worth. :thumbsup:

Edited by Skyliner

^ GvilleSC, I think you're the best connected on UP. You know something??? Another secret? Willing to share? :D

I sure wish i knew! that spot has such potential to close the gap between the ballpark and main depending on what would follow its development. everyone keep your eyes open! and your cameras ready! you know you have to share info and pics with your family first. and that's UP! :D

I think I can shed some light on the project, but not much. I heard from New Ways Properties recently that they were preseting that project at the ICSC Spring Convention in Las Vegas. That convention has come and gone but I have nto heard anything yet.

For those that do not know, ICSC is the International Council of Shopping Centers. Is is the biggest retail real estate event of the year. Lets hope they landed some good retail tennats while at the convention.

Also, recently I heard that David Glenn (CAP) has purchased the property on the left side of the rail road tracks on the lefts side of the FieldHouse if facing it from main street.

Also, rumor has it that one day, when the city is ready that the Augusta Road GTA site will be used for a west end parking deck.

Also, rumor has it that one day, when the city is ready that the Augusta Road GTA site will be used for a west end parking deck.

Well, the building adjacent to the GTA Property (warehouse looking, lots of plants & stuff) I believe is owned by the railroad but, was once a paper mill (low scale) of some sort. The only reason I say that is because my father (1 of the 3 partenrs of St.Francis Pet "Services") once rented the building for the Pet company. He did not buy the building for it has 1 or 2 underground fuel tanks (for the mill) that are not up to spec. So, chances are the the city will either buy or just re-po it from the RR.