The West End

gs3

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

It’s not about height for me. It’s the freaking long, continuous wall of facade that would be out of scale most places, not just this neighborhood or Greenville.

I actually think the height reduction (1 floor) against the single family houses was ineffectual and not needed.

The long facade is exaggerated by the empty retail spaces. I think when those are filled it’ll feel less overwhelming.

11 hours ago, Spero said:

There was a time that I thought the same thing about the Memorial site.  This is only to say that nothing is guaranteed. 

2 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The Memorial site was filled many years ago, long before the DT/WE renaissance took hold.   That is IF you are speaking of GREENVILLE MEMORIAL hospital. If you mean the Auditorium, it has been obvious for many years that the site is flawed. I don't expect private development to occur there anytime soon, unless it is a aberration.    

As for Citgo, I don't have any firm specific info. but I expect we will hear something about it within 6 months, probably less.  For what they will be paying, it will have to be a fairly dense project. 

Today is the big day. It’s gonna have a big tower crane. :D 

City of Greenville
Design Review Board – Urban Panel Agenda Workshop
1:00 PM Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Virtual Meeting Viewing
 Greenville City Hall is currently closed to the public.
 Please use the following methods to attend the meeting.
https://www.greenvillesc.gov/meeting
  Password: meetnow
 Telephone: 1-415-655-0002
 WebEx Event Number: 129 263 6795

19 minutes ago, gman430 said:

250 units and 12,000 square feet of retail space. The drive thru sounds really odd. 

I missed the drive thru aspect when they were talking about it. Overall, it seems like a decent proposal for infill development. I'm not blown away by any means. 

With developments currently under construction, and things that are proposed, the area around the ballpark has the opportunity to become a smaller version of Wrigleyville. 

Edited by GvilleSC

There is a drive-thru that services one of the businesses that will be fronting Main Street. This will require a BZA variance. Staff is not on board with the idea.  

They have not said what the business is but it seems to me the developer is going to great lengths to accommodate that desire. 

This will no doubt morph somewhat but the architecture for the most part looks pretty good, IMO.  

250 units, 12k SF of Commercial space.  Four stories along Main but 5 and 6 at the Vardry/Green end.   

I bet it’s Starbuck’s after they got denied for their freestanding location next to the railroad tracks along Main Street. One board member was hoping it was Chick-Fil-A. Lol. Now THAT I can support even with a drive thru. :D 

Overall though, I like the development. Great infill and fits in well with the surrounding neighborhood. Glad to see some real development potentially returning downtown after a long lull also. Can’t remember the last time I saw something on this scale downtown going before the DRB. Been a while for sure.

Edited by gman430

West End Coffee or whatever it is that is essentially right next door would have a tough time if a drive-thru coffee option were approved. I could possibly see a drive-thru bank or pharmacy (probably not likely), but I don't think we need a fast food franchise drive thru at that location. Will be interesting to see what comes of their proposal...

3 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I bet it’s Starbuck’s after they got denied for their freestanding location next to the railroad tracks along Main Street. One board member was hoping it was Chick-Fil-A. Lol. Now THAT I can support with a drive thru. :D 

Starbucks would be a good guess for sure. They would be able to pay the higher rent that would be expected obviously. Their original site was owned by CAP and CAP owns part of this site as well, so it would not be surprising at all if it was Starbucks. 

1 minute ago, GvilleSC said:

West End Coffee or whatever it is that is essentially right next door would have a tough time if a drive-thru coffee option were approved. I could possibly see a drive-thru bank or pharmacy (probably not likely), but I don't think we need a fast food franchise drive thru at that location. Will be interesting to see what comes of their proposal...

Isn't that the Office/warehouse for West End Coffee?  They don't do retail ready to drink sales from there do they?  

6 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Starbucks would be a good guess for sure. They would be able to pay the higher rent that would be expected obviously. Their original site was owned by CAP and CAP owns part of this site as well, so it would not be surprising at all if it was Starbucks. 

Isn't that the Office/warehouse for West End Coffee?  They don't do retail ready to drink sales from there do they?  

The one that fronts Main Street, adjacent to the former City parking services office. Is it even still open? They were not typically busy.

22 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

The one that fronts Main Street, adjacent to the former City parking services office. Is it even still open? They were not typically busy.

I’m pretty sure they’re just located along Fairforest Way now if you’re referring to West End Coffee Co. The other coffee shop (can’t remember the name of it) I believe is still there along Main.

Edited by gman430

3 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I was referring to the building facing Markley Street. 

Yup, understood -- I just don't know if West End Coffee Shoppe (actual retail shop) is still open on Main Street. If it is, and it had to compete with a drive-thru business, this would be the death knell. 

10 minutes ago, SteveHarveyOswald said:

What are the thoughts on the potential drive-thru component? 

I, for one, am against it. I'd rather see the development work with the City to implement more on-street parking  nearby (not sure where exactly -- Vardry?) and offer 15-minute spaces directly adjacent for whomever this mystery tenant is. Meh. 

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

I’m pretty sure they’re just located along Fairforest Way now if you’re referring to West End Coffee Co. The other coffee shop (can’t remember the name of it) I believe is still there along Main.

The 1021 S Main St. West End Coffee has become the Crafty Cat Brewing co.    The former West End Coffee on S Markley St is now PMC Commercial Interiors.   And West End Coffee retail is still open by appointment on Fairforest Way.

• Like 2