The West End

gs3

6 hours ago, bikeoid said:

The 1021 S Main St. West End Coffee has become the Crafty Cat Brewing co.    The former West End Coffee on S Markley St is now PMC Commercial Interiors.   And West End Coffee retail is still open by appointment on Fairforest Way.

Thanks for that update! 

From the actual Informal Review meeting:

* No mention whatsoever about the drive-thru

* 100-150 of the parking spaces will be under the city's control

* Staff seems to have a fair number of issues with the design but the board itself did not seem as bothered. 

* Jay Graham's spoke to the staff's comments and IM O was way off the reservation. 

13 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

From the actual Informal Review meeting:

* No mention whatsoever about the drive-thru

* 100-150 of the parking spaces will be under the city's control

* Staff seems to have a fair number of issues with the design but the board itself did not seem as bothered. 

* Jay Graham's spoke to the staff's comments and IM O was way off the reservation. 

Would you be willing to share a few details regarding the staff's "issues," and Mr. Graham's comments?

As one local news source once stated,

"...he’s anti-bureaucratic and red tape. In fact, Graham believes government should be an active part of the planning and construction process and not an independent, outside deterrent."

I like the overall layout and don't mind the basic design elements, although as we have discussed many times already, even a small amount of variation from the lengthy, straight, flat roofline would be welcome.  I am especially glad to hear the developer is primarily focused on the retail component.  This location needs more street-level points of interest, and developments like this will continue to enhance the West End  district's appeal to pedestrians.

• Like 1

He wants more plazas and to be able to traverse thru the property. He sees it a a fortress blocking movement between Main and Green/Vardry.  Sounded ridiculous to me. There was a list of concerns from staff but it was not displayed.   

I do wish the four-plex single floor property next door (owned by Stone family) was added to this project footprint. It would streamline it a lot. The access street could be a shorter straight line for one thing.   

• 3 weeks later...

I think the proposed new mixed-use development includes event space somewhere along Markley Street as well, which is a great idea.  I imagine this entire area around the ballpark may someday host large festivals, perhaps like Artisphere.

Edit:  I was mistaken, there are no plans for event space along Markley.  I do wish the owners of the corner florist shop property would consider selling so that an attractive event space could be incorporated into the new development.  However, this will be a nice development regardless of the absence of event space.

Edited by Skyliner

10 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

What's going there?

The property has been on the market for a long time. I know at one time it was under contract and that may still be the case. I suspect we will hear something before too long. My guess would be mixed used residential but that is not based on any hard info.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope y'all had a chance to make it out to Artisphere this year. So many talented artists and inspirational booths. And what a welcome treat after a year's worth of pandemic living.

My favorites from the day were the incredible sculptures of Dale Rogers, Mick Whitcomb's awesome antique restorations, the nostalgia embodied in the pencil drawings of Robin Lauresdorf, the ethereal forest photos from Rita Lohr and the lonesome wanderings of Andrew Sovjani

Seeing Greenville showcase artists from all over the country makes me happy to call this place home. What were your favorites?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

I refused to go due to the mask ordinance. I don’t mind wearing one inside but outside? Get real City of Greenville. This is especially true for a fully vaccinated person like myself. 

This is because discrimination against the unvaccinated is not allowed, and there's no way to easily check who's fully vaccinated anyway.

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

I refused to go due to the mask ordinance. I don’t mind wearing one inside but outside? Get real City of Greenville. This is especially true for a fully vaccinated person like myself. 

I understand that position @gman430. A lot of people in the middle of the street were not wearing masks or pulling them down and being sensible. The main benefit for having "required masks" was that a lot of the booths had art on "internal walls" where you would have to be in very close proximity to others if you wanted to see everything each artist had to offer. I didn't feel governed with an iron fist to wear my mask, but I pulled it on when I felt like it was warranted. Feels like there is just an expectation to be accommodating and reasonable.

All in all, seeing the art was worth the trade of the inconvenience of the mask, in my opinion.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Public Invited to Review Draft West End Small Area Plan

https://greenvillesc.gov/1824/West-End-Small-Area-Plan

The City of Greenville and Urban Design Associates (UDA) will hold an in-person, drop-in style public meeting for the West End Small Area Plan on Tuesday, June 22 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at Fluor Field (please use the entrance at 945 S. Main Street).  

The purpose of the meeting is to give West End residents and stakeholders and the general public an opportunity to discuss the project with City and UDA staff. There will not be a formal presentation. Instead, information stations will be set up for different components of the plan, allowing attendees to stop by any time between 5 and 6:30.

Upcoming Dates

• Final draft posted for community review – Late July
  • Planning Commission review – August 19
  • City Council review – September/October 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m wondering if anyone has insight into a generic question. As I walked around the West End this evening the thing I noticed that is an eyesore  and common to  older downtown areas are power lines. Even in stretches of new development along Rhett there was no effort or requirement to bury lines. Is it simply not financially feasible? I’m curious. 

10 hours ago, GVLer said:

I’m wondering if anyone has insight into a generic question. As I walked around the West End this evening the thing I noticed that is an eyesore  and common to  older downtown areas are power lines. Even in stretches of new development along Rhett there was no effort or requirement to bury lines. Is it simply not financially feasible? I’m curious. 

Power lines have been buried recently in the Haywood Road corridor, but as you guessed it is very expensive.

• Like 1