The West End

gs3

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Downtown continues to lose its charm and character. Sad and pathetic the DRB is allowing this: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/business-news/old-coca-cola-mural-to-be-removed-from-the-greenville-sc-west-end/

It's not like there isn't some justification:  It looks terrible in its current state. This building is like the last eyesore in the West End. 

It will be removed because the developers aim to patch and restore the stucco on the siding of the building, which cannot be done without removing the old mural, according to Rob Couch, a representative with McMillan Pazdan Smith, the architecture firm which submitted the plans.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, GvilleSC said:

At least they plan to keep a mural on that wall. Could this be the return of the Frosty Dog?

As I recall, the Frosty Dog will be restored in its original location, when the development across the street is complete.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The number of design iterations this project has gone through has been interesting to watch. I hope they truly get it right in the end. I'm kind of surprised that they aren't showing a fence around the property. It seems like liability and security would necessitate that. 

4 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

Notice the proposed music venue is under same property ownership. I can imagine the celebrative events the two spaces could put on together (that is if the music venue, or either, actually comes to reality).  

I wonder if Cowboy Up took their place in the market (or at least took a bite out of their potential share)? I think that property along Rhett could be really fun place to live if they would pursue residential there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Per the West End Neighborhood Association, there is a mixed use project being proposed for 319 Rhett St. (corner of Rhett and Wardlaw). Should know more on Tuesday.

Edit: just noticed that this apparently goes the full block to O'Neal Street, as that parcel has the same owner as 319 Rhett.  

20 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Per the West End Neighborhood Association, there is a mixed use project being proposed for 319 Rhett St. (corner of Rhett and Wardlaw). Should know more on Tuesday.

Edit: just noticed that this apparently goes the full block to O'Neal Street, as that parcel has the same owner as 319 Rhett.  

Great to hear. Doesn’t Auro Hotels own the site? I remember they purchased it a few years back. I imagine the concert venue that was proposed across the street is dead. 

Edited by gman430

48 minutes ago, gman430 said:

After further research, this company appears to be the owner of the entire site: https://pinnhospitality.com

In that case, I may know what's going here.  I saw a post on ODA Architecture's social media about a new hotel, and it linked to an email newsletter that says: "Pinnacle Partnership hired ODA as the architect for a 9-story, 110,000 SF, 154 key hotel. Amenities will include a first floor bar and lounge and the 9th floor will showcase a rooftop bar/patio and 2,000 SF of meeting space. The mixed-use development, designed by others, will include 248 residential units, 5000 SF of retail space and a 488 space parking structure." 

1760606476_ODAGVLhotel.thumb.jpg.6ba335cf15aad75a7fdd85a9d08d735f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GVLer said:

I am curious to see if the music venue on the other corner of Rhett and Wardlaw ever comes to fruition? And the Husk space has stayed vacant longer than I expected.

Oddly enough, I don’t think the Husk space is for lease. I haven’t seen anything about it through the usual commercial real estate channels. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"The Post and Courier to fill prominent downtown Greenville location." Moving to 20 Augusta St., the old location for Augusta Twenty, the ladies boutique clothing store. The P&C is serious about its commitment to Greenville and Spartanburg. https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/the-post-and-courier-to-fill-prominent-downtown-greenville-location/article_a4896d24-7a31-11ed-82ef-eb842ebe5865.html

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...