Greater Birmingham Roads and Freeways

kayman

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeffco cities oppose 280 idea

Homewood and Mountain Brook has announced that they overwhelming oppose the construction of an elevated roadway over US280. Many residences of Mtn. Brook say that it will bring down their property values due to noise, litter, and obstruction of natural scenery.

IMO, GOOD! Now back to the drawing board to construct access and service roads along US280 and building overpasses so that it will become a limited-access highway instead.

Jeffco cities oppose 280 idea

Homewood and Mountain Brook has announced that they overwhelming oppose the construction of an elevated roadway over US280. Many residences of Mtn. Brook say that it will bring down their property values due to noise, litter, and obstruction of natural scenery.

IMO, GOOD! Now back to the drawing board to construct access and service roads along US280 and building overpasses so that it will become a limited-access highway instead.

Good for them. Why should they be punished for the out of control growth in Shelby County. Hey....here is a novel idea....don't build it and the will not come? The days of waste through sprawl need to end. I think the concerns of Mountain Brook and Homewood are great examples of senseless sprawl.....why do urban dwellers have to suffer because of the needs of those who CHOOSE to live on the edge?

Officials still like elevated road idea

This is insanity at its best. I agree with you both, they do need to stop subsidizing sprawl through projects like this. Do these people even think about the after effects of these types of projects. If anything there needs to be a total overhaul of US280 like Memorial Parkway in Huntsville with buyouts along the right-a-way for the road to be transformed into a limited-access urban expressway. ALDOT needs to stop pandering to special interest that don't have the people's best interest at heart.

Good for them. Why should they be punished for the out of control growth in Shelby County. Hey....here is a novel idea....don't build it and the will not come?

Playing devil's advocate - I've not seen any plans or concept drawings so I have no opinion on any specific design, whether it be elevated, feeder roads, tunnel, etc.

But a fairly likely scenario would be they get punished for NOT building it, and they come anyway. A perfect example is the Interstate 5 freeway at the border between Los Angeles and Orange counties, California. Orange County voted to tax and expanded the freeway. LA County didn't. Now it's a massive clusterf**k traffic debacle where the lanes converge and tighten up that plays out in, you guessed it, LA County.

Another way they might be "punished" is when job centers relocate to cheaper, newer, more attractive sprawl development once traffic gets to be a significant concern for the target workforce, ignoring the inner core altogether.

I think the concerns of Mountain Brook and Homewood are great examples of senseless sprawl..... why do urban dwellers have to suffer because of the needs of those who CHOOSE to live on the edge?

First I doubt Mountain Brook or Homewood residents consider themselves "urban dwellers". While I don't see myself ever choosing some charmless McMansion on a cul-de-sac somewhere, at one time there was no Mountain Brook or Homewood either. They were the new suburban sprawl a few generations ago and they're the old suburban sprawl today. If your point is only that sprawl is bad, the end argument is that humanity should live in one gigantic high-rise in Olduvai Gorge.

Playing devil's advocate - I've not seen any plans or concept drawings so I have no opinion on any specific design, whether it be elevated, feeder roads, tunnel, etc.

But a fairly likely scenario would be they get punished for NOT building it, and they come anyway. A perfect example is the Interstate 5 freeway at the border between Los Angeles and Orange counties, California. Orange County voted to tax and expanded the freeway. LA County didn't. Now it's a massive clusterf**k traffic debacle where the lanes converge and tighten up that plays out in, you guessed it, LA County.

Another way they might be "punished" is when job centers relocate to cheaper, newer, more attractive sprawl development once traffic gets to be a significant concern for the target workforce, ignoring the inner core altogether.

First I doubt Mountain Brook or Homewood residents consider themselves "urban dwellers". While I don't see myself ever choosing some charmless McMansion on a cul-de-sac somewhere, at one time there was no Mountain Brook or Homewood either. They were the new suburban sprawl a few generations ago and they're the old suburban sprawl today. If your point is only that sprawl is bad, the end argument is that humanity should live in one gigantic high-rise in Olduvai Gorge.

The whole idea of building such a ridiculous structure when ALDOT should have done to Memorial Parkway upgrading it to an urban expressway with overpasses and interchanges. Yeah, a slew of commerical business will have to be relocate as well as years to complete, but it offers a less obstructive solution. See above the mentioning of what happened in Tampa with the construction of a very similar elevated roadway. Think about this, Memorial Parkway goes straight through the heart of the main commerical cooridor in South Huntsville and through downtown Huntsville. ALDOT is so skiddish about U.S. 280 although they and the area leaders have allowed this roadway to fester like an open sore. Yeah, I agree Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills are reaping what they sowed when they opposed the upgrading of this highway back in the 1980's. However, an elevated roadway (which I've seen the design for) is NOT THE ANSWER.

I live in Homewood and like to consider myself an "urban dweller." (Even though I live in one of the newer, more suburb-y parts of Homewood)...

But that's mostly just because I'm weird... personally I'd rather see an elevated rail line down 280 as part of a comprehensive transit system for the metro instead of something that's just going to send corporate offices down to Chelsea and fudge Birmingham over even further.

I live in Homewood and like to consider myself an "urban dweller." (Even though I live in one of the newer, more suburb-y parts of Homewood)...

But that's mostly just because I'm weird... personally I'd rather see an elevated rail line down 280 as part of a comprehensive transit system for the metro instead of something that's just going to send corporate offices down to Chelsea and fudge Birmingham over even further.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! Arrrrrrrrrgh! I meant "screw Birmingham over even further." Apparently you can't say "fuk" on this board because it changes it to fudge. Although I guess I could just say "fuk."... but that looks stupid as hell.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! Arrrrrrrrrgh! I meant "screw Birmingham over even further." Apparently you can't say "fuk" on this board because it changes it to fudge. Although I guess I could just say "fuk."... but that looks stupid as hell.

It is time for people in the Birmingham area to form a group to push issues of sprawl......transportation....sustainability... We need a leader that will pull everyone together. Who will be this leader?

It is time for people in the Birmingham area to form a group to push issues of sprawl......transportation....sustainability... We need a leader that will pull everyone together. Who will be this leader?

I guess the real question is do any of you guys have the guts to step up and try to make a difference. People see all of the issues going on, but none really care enough to do anything about it until it starts to hurt their lives. That's why Birmingham will most likely never have a decent transit system and urban sprawl will be a way of life. Right now, the present situation is that people are living comfortably in and around the city of Birmingham.

This is probably a shocker but if you really think about it most people in the U.S. don't want to live in a densely packed urban environment like a NYC. Those places are reserved for the select few who can live with the daily activities that go on in cities like that. When a person starts to raise a family, as most southerners usually like to do, they want to take their kids away from the hostilities that city life usually bring with it and live in their "perfect world." They get used to their big houses, big yards, and all that space and they tend to not want to go to a cramped lifestyle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as their is land in the U.S. to be developed, it will be. It will take a mega population such as in China or shortage of land such as in Japan for a people to come to the common idea of building dense and tall.

I wish you guys in Birmingham the best in all you endeavours.

Me beotches. That's who. Write me in for governor of Alabama, codename ArmadilloBeaver.

I will transform Alabama into the People's Republic Of Alabama and install wealth redistribution and revoke private property.

Muahahahahaahahahahahahaaaaaa!

No just kidding.

Me beotches. That's who. Write me in for governor of Alabama, codename ArmadilloBeaver.

I will transform Alabama into the People's Republic Of Alabama and install wealth redistribution and revoke private property.

No just kidding.

Aaahhh!!! You can't say "beotches" either. Oh well, I guess I'll just say "bishes" instead. Or "biches." Or "beeches." This forum's mad weak yo.

No just kidding.

Aaahhh!!! You can't say "beotches" either. Oh well, I guess I'll just say "bishes" instead. Or "biches." Or "beeches." This forum's mad weak yo.

Dude, you are a trip! :rofl:

I guess the real question is do any of you guys have the guts to step up and try to make a difference. People see all of the issues going on, but none really care enough to do anything about it until it starts to hurt their lives. That's why Birmingham will most likely never have a decent transit system and urban sprawl will be a way of life. Right now, the present situation is that people are living comfortably in and around the city of Birmingham.

This is probably a shocker but if you really think about it most people in the U.S. don't want to live in a densely packed urban environment like a NYC. Those places are reserved for the select few who can live with the daily activities that go on in cities like that. When a person starts to raise a family, as most southerners usually like to do, they want to take their kids away from the hostilities that city life usually bring with it and live in their "perfect world." They get used to their big houses, big yards, and all that space and they tend to not want to go to a cramped lifestyle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as their is land in the U.S. to be developed, it will be. It will take a mega population such as in China or shortage of land such as in Japan for a people to come to the common idea of building dense and tall.

I wish you guys in Birmingham the best in all you endeavours.

That trend you have mentioned is actually starting to change due to the cost of gas on top of car maintance, and increasing cost of living. The only people that will continue to move further out from a city will reap what they sowed that is DEBT.

Back to the main topic at hand, it really isn't possible to have one such leader in an actual sense, but rather cooperation from all the area leaders. All of these leaders would need to sit down and get on the same page on key issues. Also, it wouldn't hurt for those big name folks like Alabama Power CEO Charles McCrary and Don Logan, both of which are multimillionaires to put the money where their mouth is. One of the ways a city can pull itself up by the bootstraps is have the most powerful business leaders use their clout and push for progress for their respective regions. Just look at what Bernie Marcus and Ted Turner has done for Atlanta. Don Logan and Charles McCrary should do the same for Birmingham.

Any movement will need leaders, followers and an issue that motivates and unites them. If you walk into a room and have to ask, "Who will be the leader?", the answer is... IT'S YOU.

Your first step is developing your group's mission statement and goals, then recruiting members and executing an action plan.

none really care enough to do anything about it until it starts to hurt their lives. That's why Birmingham will most likely never have a decent transit system and urban sprawl will be a way of life. Right now, the present situation is that people are living comfortably in and around the city of Birmingham.
In my opinion urban sprawl in Birmingham is in no way more egregious or alarming than it is anywhere else, and plenty of mid-size cities lack "decent" transit systems (and quite a few bigger ones too.) I agree that the fact is that many people *are* comfortable with their overall lifestyle in Birmingham, that's why I think telling them they're wrong is a non-starter. There's lots of those people, so if you want to achieve some worthy goals like a transit system their support is essential. Their needs and priorities will have to be addressed to get anything moving. Regional cooperation doesn't mean the suburbs do what a few Birminghamians think is cool. If that's been the approach so far I can see why there's been no traction.

most people in the U.S. don't want to live in a densely packed urban environment like a NYC. [...]I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as their is land in the U.S. to be developed, it will be.
Exactly. Denser neighborhoods in the central city with nearby, car-independent work, shopping and entertainment are attractive to many, but remember the U.S.' genetic stocks are of people who *left* overcrowded, denser countries.

The only people that will continue to move further out from a city will reap what they sowed that is DEBT.
But that's just not true. Many people move farther out because that's where the most affordable land is. If they didn't have to drive to do that, they wouldn't, they're avoiding additional debt.

Back to the main topic at hand, it really isn't possible to have one such leader in an actual sense, but rather cooperation from all the area leaders. All of these leaders would need to sit down and get on the same page on key issues. One of the ways a city can pull itself up by the bootstraps is have the most powerful business leaders use their clout and push for progress for their respective regions.
What specifically do you want? Cooperation, key issues, pushing for progress... *HOW* specifically is this accomplished? What is it you actually want?

Don Logan and Charles McCrary should do the same for Birmingham.
Don Logan is in Birmingham because he retired and no longer works at TW HQ in New York. I wouldn't consider him a current-day Birmingham business leader - let the man fish and play with his grandkids.

But that's just not true. Many people move farther out because that's where the most affordable land is. If they didn't have to drive to do that, they wouldn't, they're avoiding additional debt.

That's not entirely true either. Yeah, there is cheaper land in outlying areas, but the cost of maintaining 1 or more vehicles due to the frequency of travelling such long distances and the cost of gas outweighs all those benefits in the long run. Most of the benefits associated are very overrated or simply don't exist because I've lived in suburbia most of my life. Most live in outlying areas more often due to quality of life (education, sense of security from crime) and comfort issues rather than land prices. It falls in line with the other pieces of the vicious cycle of suburbia, build, use, abuse, and escape further into the outlying areas.

What specifically do you want? Cooperation, key issues, pushing for progress... *HOW* specifically is this accomplished? What is it you actually want?

The current attempts of regional cooperation with Senator J.T. Waggoner having those meetings with regional officials is a start. What I want is regional cooperation, the creation of mass transit, and full home rule for all the metro counties.

Yeah, there is cheaper land in outlying areas, but the cost of maintaining 1 or more vehicles due to the frequency of travelling such long distances and the cost of gas outweighs all those benefits in the long run.
Let's agree that in any case, such a calculation depends on an individual's circumstances of home cost, length of commute and individual gas mileage among others we could not possibly know.

Suffice it to say, no one is forced into detached suburban living at gunpoint. People choose it of their own free will. If that is to change or relent, to choices are to either build a Berlin Wall around Birmingham, or, provide an alternative people actually want.

Most of the benefits associated are very overrated or simply don't exist because I've lived in suburbia most of my life. Most live in outlying areas more often due to quality of life (education, sense of security from crime) and comfort issues rather than land prices.
That's what they chose, and continue to do so, in vast numbers, despite the fact you disliked it. On what basis do you judge them in error? Money being equal most people would rather live in a detached house and have a car then to pay for a smaller condo and pay maintenance fees.

What I want is regional cooperation, the creation of mass transit, and full home rule for all the metro counties.
OK, a mass transit system would be nice, assuming it works, is actually useful and is used. Home rule is a bad state issue that needs to be resolved.

But what do you want regional cooperation and home rule *for*? Regionally cooperate on *what*, use home rule to what advantage over the status quo? What would the local county commissions and city mayors do better with home rule than Montgomery?

That's what they chose, and continue to do so, in vast numbers, despite the fact you disliked it. On what basis do you judge them in error? Money being equal most people would rather live in a detached house and have a car then to pay for a smaller condo and pay maintenance fees.

Honestly, I don't want them to do that either. Instead, I believe it would be much better if the already developed areas were filled in with new single-family homes with garages and yards. There are parts of existing cities of Birmingham, Homewood, Vestavia Hills that have yet to be touched by developers, but they continue to sprawl farther out. You could easily build single-family households in those areas just as easily or even more easily than out in a far-out undeveloped area. Most of the infastructure (roads, sewer, and utilities) is already built or very close by with the ability of new connections to be established. Sprawl is what I have a problem with not what choice of dwelling the people choses. You are getting very much on your own tangent with these questions (about dwelling choices) that have absolute not reference to why sprawl is occuring.

OK, a mass transit system would be nice, assuming it works, is actually useful and is used.
My question to my question to you is, "Why are you so pessimistic about mass transit in Birmingham?" Just as SweetHomeColorado has said for the longest, if the service gets a solid funding source to improve the service (increased bus routes, express buses, and BRT) and is better marketed with those new routes, then it would be used. You can't just base your opinion on LA because that place is so screwed up it would take an act of God for those people to change their ways of transport in Southern California.

Home rule is a bad state issue that needs to be resolved. But what do you want regional cooperation and home rule *for*? Regionally cooperate on *what*, use home rule to what advantage over the status quo? What would the local county commissions and city mayors do better with home rule than Montgomery?

For starters, the home rule would allow the county to remove that God-awful additional 1% sales tax and replace it with a property tax millage hike. That would a much fairer tax to implement to fund the schools in the county than an additional sales tax that has some municipalities such as Irondale and Fairfild paying 10%. It would also give the county's better ability to have fund its own transit system by making its own decisions as to how they would find its funding source rather than allowing legislators do that. Finally, it would give the county's their own ability to zone and have a planning commission that has the final say so on the overall developments within its boundary. Some municipalities in this state have too much power when it comes to zoning and don't have the overall greater good for the region at heart.

I believe it would be much better if the already developed areas were filled in with new single-family homes with garages and yards. There are parts of existing cities of Birmingham, Homewood, Vestavia Hills that have yet to be touched by developers, but they continue to sprawl farther out.

I agree, that's a worthy goal. I would much rather that open land be preserved, and that decaying development be replaced first before expanding the footprint as it were. So why *don't* developers build in those areas now? There's a reason for everything (usually) and there's a reason those areas aren't as attractive as building out. I would suspect land price is at least one reason; maybe some holes in access and utilities too; crime concerns; no doubt a lot depends on the site. Address those issues attractively and developers might be attracted to those areas.

Sprawl is what I have a problem with not what choice of dwelling the people choses. You are getting very much on your own tangent with these questions (about dwelling choices) that have absolute not reference to why sprawl is occuring.

I don't think you can ignore the housing stock and have a conversation about sprawl. Assuming the basic "American Dream" continues to include owning a detached, single-family home, population trends alone guarantee unprecedented sprawl.

"Why are you so pessimistic about mass transit in Birmingham?" Just as SweetHomeColorado has said for the longest, if the service gets a solid funding source to improve the service (increased bus routes, express buses, and BRT) and is better marketed with those new routes, then it would be used.

You want that and you think that, but how do you *know* that? I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic. I agree completely, either a new agency should be created to run public transit in the area or overhaul the BJCTA, and decide on a reliable funding mechanism. Beyond that Birmingham is not Denver or LA. The main concern I have about any over-ambitious plan is the diffusion of job centers, making a single car commute intoa multi-modal commute that's slower and less attractive. If any new transit system becomes perceived as a crime risk, or only the current users of MAX use it, it will be a massive setback so start small and build from there. Express Buses are an excellent place to start.

Personally I would like to see some sort of BRT along 20th St from downtown to Vulcan (or downtown Homewood), taking in Southside and the Midtown and downtown neighborhoods along the way. Sort of a combination of Denver's 16th Street Mall with Houston's Main Street rail line downtown. But that's really an urban development idea, not a transit idea per se.

You can't just base your opinion on LA because that place is so screwed up it would take an act of God for those people to change their ways of transport in Southern California.

Actually LA offers a few examples, good and bad. Good - the Orange Line BRT is up and running across the southern leg of the San Fernando Valley, connecting a subway station in North Hollywood on the east and a business development area known as Warner Center to the west. It's been very successful and it will be expanded northwest to the Chatsworth area (America's Pornland!). Bad - the Green Line train goes from Norwalk (nowhere) to not LAX (which would mean it went somewhere), due to taxi and bus lobbying at the time of construction. Good - Metro is opening new "Rapid" bus routes that operate in normal traffic but with limited stops, train-style. Bad - the Gold Line light rail expansion to Pasadena has had very underwhelming ridership.

Finally, it would give the county's their own ability to zone and have a planning commission that has the final say so on the overall developments within its boundary. Some municipalities in this state have too much power when it comes to zoning and don't have the overall greater good for the region at heart.

Good points about the sales vs. property tax funding for education and flexibility on transit funding.

But what do you mean by "too much power when it comes to zoning"? You don't think an incorporated city has a duty and an interest in any given development over the county at large? You don't think a power grab of that magnitude (by the estimable leadership of Jefferson County, no less) would go unchallenged at many powerful levels?

You'll get nowhere with a jam-it-down-their-throats attitude. First off, municipalities, assuming you mean the leadership of those municipalities, have those powers and their own interests at heart because that's their *job*. No one elected the mayor of Homewood to worry about Irondale, for example. They are neither elected nor entrusted to take action 'regionally'. That could change with a regional metro structure, but you can't be so idealistic as to expect a community to join in any effort to act against it's own interests.

I agree, that's a worthy goal. I would much rather that open land be preserved, and that decaying development be replaced first before expanding the footprint as it were. So why *don't* developers build in those areas now? There's a reason for everything (usually) and there's a reason those areas aren't as attractive as building out. I would suspect land price is at least one reason; maybe some holes in access and utilities too; crime concerns; no doubt a lot depends on the site. Address those issues attractively and developers might be attracted to those areas.

I don't think you can ignore the housing stock and have a conversation about sprawl. Assuming the basic "American Dream" continues to include owning a detached, single-family home, population trends alone guarantee unprecedented sprawl.

You want that and you think that, but how do you *know* that? I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic. I agree completely, either a new agency should be created to run public transit in the area or overhaul the BJCTA, and decide on a reliable funding mechanism. Beyond that Birmingham is not Denver or LA. The main concern I have about any over-ambitious plan is the diffusion of job centers, making a single car commute intoa multi-modal commute that's slower and less attractive. If any new transit system becomes perceived as a crime risk, or only the current users of MAX use it, it will be a massive setback so start small and build from there. Express Buses are an excellent place to start.

Personally I would like to see some sort of BRT along 20th St from downtown to Vulcan (or downtown Homewood), taking in Southside and the Midtown and downtown neighborhoods along the way. Sort of a combination of Denver's 16th Street Mall with Houston's Main Street rail line downtown. But that's really an urban development idea, not a transit idea per se.

Actually LA offers a few examples, good and bad. Good - the Orange Line BRT is up and running across the southern leg of the San Fernando Valley, connecting a subway station in North Hollywood on the east and a business development area known as Warner Center to the west. It's been very successful and it will be expanded northwest to the Chatsworth area (America's Pornland!). Bad - the Green Line train goes from Norwalk (nowhere) to not LAX (which would mean it went somewhere), due to taxi and bus lobbying at the time of construction. Good - Metro is opening new "Rapid" bus routes that operate in normal traffic but with limited stops, train-style. Bad - the Gold Line light rail expansion to Pasadena has had very underwhelming ridership.

Good points about the sales vs. property tax funding for education and flexibility on transit funding.

But what do you mean by "too much power when it comes to zoning"? You don't think an incorporated city has a duty and an interest in any given development over the county at large? You don't think a power grab of that magnitude (by the estimable leadership of Jefferson County, no less) would go unchallenged at many powerful levels?

You'll get nowhere with a jam-it-down-their-throats attitude. First off, municipalities, assuming you mean the leadership of those municipalities, have those powers and their own interests at heart because that's their *job*. No one elected the mayor of Homewood to worry about Irondale, for example. They are neither elected nor entrusted to take action 'regionally'. That could change with a regional metro structure, but you can't be so idealistic as to expect a community to join in any effort to act against it's own interests.

I'm not trying to shove this idea down anybody's throat but somebody needs to say that there is something monumentally wrong with whole setup. I mean the power of zoning and taxation should be in the hands of the county first and foremost, and then in the hands of the incorporated municipalities. I'm not saying that both shouldn't have the power to zone, but when a smaller function is given the ability while the county has no power is screwed up. Just look at Shelby County's major issue now with the overwhelming of existing roadways by traffic due to massive overdevelopment of certain areas. This is just one example of what happens when individual municipalities are given too much power but the county is left to clean up the mess. Common sense and foresight seems to be lacking with a lot of these officials.

Catalyst for Birmingham has an urban sustainability task force with an interest in development and transportation issues. It's not a very accomplished group, yet - but it might be a way to get involved.

The problem is the people. Cities like Vestavia, Homewood, MB, like you said do have places to put infill. But more importantly they do have smaller cheaper houses. Certain people feel they are too good or don't want to pay the price to live in these smaller homes located in close in communities. They would rather have a cheaper larger house way the hell out. These people are the reason for bad traffic. I can understand if you just flat out can't afford these communities, but sometimes your better of buying an older, smaller house, close in, besides your property will increase more if you buy close in. It's sad to think we have to have a large house, and it takes a two hour commute for people to finally get the balls and move back into town, Look at Atlanta, a house near Turner Field now cost you +400k, demand intown is crazy.

Archived