Greater Birmingham Roads and Freeways

kayman

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard anything further about the city's master plan's suggestion to sink the 20/59 viaduct into a trench covered by a new surface boulevard? I know it would be pretty expensive, but I hope they do it. I also wish we could do the same thing with I-65 noth of Green Springs Avenue to malfunciton junction and with the Red Mountain Expressway north of Highland Avenue. If that were possible, it would go a long way toward improving the feel of the city, imo. You could then link the footprints of Univ Blvd, the RME, 65, and 20/59 into a true urban boulevard surrounding the city center ... a broad boulvard with planted median, sidewalks, and linear green space. I know if would be an expensive project. But, you would gain dramatically increased property value all along the boulevard.

I suppose while I'm dreaming, I might as well also dream about an effective transit system... :)

Has anyone heard anything further about the city's master plan's suggestion to sink the 20/59 viaduct into a trench covered by a new surface boulevard?

here's the thread on the below-grade I-20 / 59 proposal:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...=28888&st=0

the last post is three months old, but i don't think much has happened since that time.

welcome to the forum. good thoughts in all your posts, so keep 'em coming!

• 2 weeks later...

ALDOT Director Joe McInnes wants to speed up or finish the following projects in our region before he steps down from his post:

Corridor X between Birmingham and Memphis.

Widening I-65 through Shelby County.

Complete widening of I-20 through St. Clair County.

Relieve traffic congestion on U.S. 280 in Jefferson and Shelby counties.

"I want Miss (Linda) Figg to finish her study, and let's see how far we can take it," he said.

Figg's study of possible overhead lanes on 280 is to be finished early next year.

Widening I-20/59 in Tuscaloosa County to McFarland Boulevard.

Complete widening of Alabama 157 between Moulton and Cullman. Residents there say orange barrels have lined the road for at least 20 years.

Widening U.S. 82 from Tuscaloosa to the Mississippi line.

Widening U.S. 411 from Gadsden to the Cherokee County line.

We'll see if he keeps his end of the bargain.

State Transportation director on road to making highways better

The curve and intersection reorientation of Tyler Road in Hoover is being pushed to started within the next 12 months. It will fixed the sharp curves along the busiest stretch of roadway through the Bluff Park community. Also the reorientation of the intersection of Tyler Road, Francher Drive, and Valley Street.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

• 3 weeks later...

Congestion rising on Shelby 11

The increasing traffic problems in Shelby County has found its way to County Road 11. The amount of traffic on the road has drastically increased over the past decade with to 17,500 travel daily. There was plans to widen the road, but it is too costly. However, there are few minor fixes in the works:

• Shelby County 52, which connects Shelby County 11 to Interstate 65, is being widened to five lanes.
  • A right-turn lane is being constructed at the intersection of Shelby County roads 11 and 36.
  • A left-turn lane is being constructed at Chelsea High School.

Task force to consider interchanges on part of 280

A task force for Progress 280 is looking into creating urban interchanges along US 280 from Red Mountain Expressway to Interstate 459. The naysayers are saying that the interchanges will only alleviate traffic along the roadway for 11-12 year while the elevated tollway will for 22 years <_<.

The urban interchanges are still more reasonable approach to that stretch of US 280 regardless of the naysayers say because the tollway would cause too much controversy with the NIMBYs in Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, and Homewood. Also if the region would initiate some form of a regional transit system it would also help alleviate the roadways traffic problems. In all the elevated tollway is not the answer.

Task force to consider interchanges on part of 280

A task force for Progress 280 is looking into creating urban interchanges along US 280 from Red Mountain Expressway to Interstate 459. The naysayers are saying that the interchanges will only alleviate traffic along the roadway for 11-12 year while the elevated tollway will for 22 years <_<.

The urban interchanges are still more reasonable approach to that stretch of US 280 regardless of the naysayers say because the tollway would cause too much controversy with the NIMBYs in Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, and Homewood. Also if the region would initiate some form of a regional transit system it would also help alleviate the roadways traffic problems. In all the elevated tollway is not the answer.

It would seem that it would be a better idea build interchanges along the entire length of US 280 instead of building the elevated roadway, or perhaps something similar to Memorial Parkway here in Huntsville for the eastern portion so that access to businesses is maintained. I am still curious as to how many lanes this elevated roadway is going to have, how many access points there will be, and how traffic will be handled at either end of it. The elevated tollway will do people hardly any good if you are just inbound from an access point and you have to drive another five miles to access the next one.

I've seen the plans (not the most recent ones), but just by this description it still doesn't seem worth the time or money. US 280 needs urban interchanges and limited access, especially west of Interstate 459. The Progress 280 group needs to just let the eastern portion have this structure and let the western portion have urban interchanges. If the folks east of 459 want this roadway so bad then let them have. But they shouldn't attempt to destroy the landscape of Mountain Brook and Homewood, so that Linda Figg and her company can have a contracting job.

I've seen the plans (not the most recent ones), but just by this description it still doesn't seem worth the time or money. US 280 needs urban interchanges and limited access, especially west of Interstate 459. The Progress 280 group needs to just let the eastern portion have this structure and let the western portion have urban interchanges. If the folks east of 459 want this roadway so bad then let them have. But they shouldn't attempt to destroy the landscape of Mountain Brook and Homewood, so that Linda Figg and her company can have a contracting job.

What kind of design features/mitigation do those plans call for? Sound barriers, landscaping, painted or textured bridge supports, or anything of the sort?

Here is the link for the architecture renderings, Cody:

Hwy 280 Architecture Renderings

Like I said, it doesn't look like anything special to me.

If the citizens on the eastern portion wants it, that is fine with me. However, the western portion would be better served with an upgrade that has actual interchanges like Memorial Parkway in Huntsville.

If the citizens on the eastern portion wants it, that is fine with me. However, the western portion would be better served with an upgrade that has actual interchanges like Memorial Parkway in Huntsville.

It really does not look that different from a regular overpass except that all the bents are slinder enough to fit in the median and the overpass is composed of precast, pre-stressed concrete segments instead of the traditional steel or reinforced concrete beams that usually make up bridges around here. If you go to Austin, TX there are roads that look just like this one is proposed and those aren't considered scenic of natural-looking in the least. The whole thing does indeed look to be an eyesore from the looks of it. There aren't even any noise barriers on top of that thing, much less anything "scenic" about it beyond the traditional median landscaping that's already there. It may blend in with all the sprawl and development east of I-459, but inside I-459 it would look a bit like it barges into the scene.

What's not rendered there is what an access point/ramp would look like. It would require either a wider median or right-of-way on the outside of US 280 to accommodate the ramp from grade up to the elevated portion.

It really does not look that different from a regular overpass except that all the bents are slinder enough to fit in the median and the overpass is composed of precast, pre-stressed concrete segments instead of the traditional steel or reinforced concrete beams that usually make up bridges around here. If you go to Austin, TX there are roads that look just like this one is proposed and those aren't considered scenic of natural-looking in the least. The whole thing does indeed look to be an eyesore from the looks of it. There aren't even any noise barriers on top of that thing, much less anything "scenic" about it beyond the traditional median landscaping that's already there. It may blend in with all the sprawl and development east of I-459, but inside I-459 it would look a bit like it barges into the scene.

What's not rendered there is what an access point/ramp would look like. It would require either a wider median or right-of-way on the outside of US 280 to accommodate the ramp from grade up to the elevated portion.

That right there lies my whole problem with the damn thing. There isn't anymore right-of-way surrounding US 280 without buying out 500 feet on each side as if you were to just upgrade the thing to limited-access urban expressway with single point interchanges and access/connector roads. The whole idea of this inside 459 is a waste of money and time just to satisfy asesthically pleasing sprawl hungry engineers of this project.

• 3 weeks later...

Shelby County Commission and Chamber of Commerce are drawing their resolution. This resolution to beg the delegation that represents the county in Montgomery to pass legislation for the referendum on a long-term transporatation plan. It's such as shame they still must beg the delegation just for something that should be discussion only at the county-level in one meeting and then be place on a ballot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems the opponents of the elevated roadway over U.S. 280 is organizing and have formed some sort of coalition. They are distributing bumper sticker and information to inform the residents along and around the U.S. 280 cooridor about the harmful affects of this proposed roadway. The coalition is currently fundraising is to hire a traffic engineer to see whether or not overpasses and urban interchanges are better alternatives.

Opponents of elevated U.S. 280 start campaign

It seems the opponents of the elevated roadway over U.S. 280 is organizing and have formed some sort of coalition. They are distributing bumper sticker and information to inform the residents along and around the U.S. 280 cooridor about the harmful affects of this proposed roadway. The coalition is currently fundraising is to hire a traffic engineer to see whether or not overpasses and urban interchanges are better alternatives.

Opponents of elevated U.S. 280 start campaign

I really don't see the reason for opposition to the elevated freeway. Isn't it planned to be architecturally / aesthetically pleasing and be surrounded by intense landscaping?

I really don't see the reason for opposition to the elevated freeway. Isn't it planned to be architecturally / aesthetically pleasing and be surrounded by intense landscaping?

That's what the engineers said, but when they revealed the actual draft it doesn't have much of either. The draft pictures is posted somewhere in this thread and all it shown was a gray, elevated roadway with little to no landscaping. Also, the roadway doesn't have any interchanges other than at the beginning and end ~ thus leads to major access issues. The terrain of the western part of U.S. 280 is way too rugged and steep. Finally, its cost which has yet to be determined because the firm has only mad guessimates but no real estimate. It is a mess waiting to happen and I agree with the opposition that there are better solutions to be considered. Anyways Gsupstate, this is only the western portion (west of I-459) that this group is talking about not the eastern portion (east of I-459 to Hugh Daniel Drive). At this point nobody cares about the eastern stretch because of how jacked up it is from poor access-management, too many traffic signals, ect., so building an elevated roadway there wouldn't even matter.

• 3 weeks later...

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/birmingh...tml?t=printable

According to ALDOT Director Joe McInnes, the US 280 elevated tollway isn't feasible. He also talked about the construction Cooridor X at the Kiawanis Club of Birmingham bi-monthly luncheon last Thursday. The argument is the public backlash to the elevated tollway is also one of the main reasoning behind infeasibility of the project.

If the state is going to spend the big bucks to build this, they might as well include the infrastructure for light rail. Federal matching funds could then be used to help pay for it.

I agree with y'all that this thing needs some work to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Archived