Greater Birmingham Roads and Freeways

kayman

Orange barrels and traffic delays will frustrate motorists traveling the Double Oak Mountain section of U.S. 280 for the rest of the year, with installation of much-anticipated traffic signals tentatively set to begin July 10.

More delays ahead for U.S. 280 traffic

OK, when is ALDOT going to realize that traffic signals and US 280 don't mix? That roadway is a freeway, plain and simple and doesn't need anymore traffic signals. It needs single-point urban interchanges from Red Mtn. Expressway to Chelsea and just plain limited-access interchanges all the way to Sylacauga. They has got to be another temporary solution other than another traffic light on this roadway.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More delays ahead for U.S. 280 traffic

OK, when is ALDOT going to realize that traffic signals and US 280 don't mix? That roadway is a freeway, plain and simple and doesn't need anymore traffic signals. It needs single-point urban interchanges from Red Mtn. Expressway to Chelsea and just plain limited-access interchanges all the way to Sylacauga. They has got to be another temporary solution other than another traffic light on this roadway.

I have a feeling it's due to the subdivisions popping up with no real good way for people to get onto 280... Once you are south/east of 119, there are NO signal lights til you actually enter Chelsea... however, there ARE subdivisions and undeveloped land that is likely to become developed. And these aren't tiny subdivisions, either... Mt. Laurel is out that way, and Chelsea is getting more and more populated due to people moving into these new subdivisions...

ALDOT finished installing the signal and road for the Green Valley Road/Rocky Ridge Road intersection realignment last weekend, and it has helped out a lot. I just wish they'd finish repaving.... ALDOT's only working on 280 after-hours (like, starting at 10pm or later, and finishing before people start North for work), so it's slow going, but they are being smart... that road is HEAVILY travelled all times of the day, they just picked when it's slower and less traffic to work on it. :)

That is good news but do you know if there are plans to widen 261 from Helena to Hiway 31 and Valleydale from Hiway 31 to I-65?

I heard that ALDOT was going to widen 261, but I don't know when that will occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Grants Mill Road extension planned with a 4-lane bridge over Lake Purdy

Article about the extension from The Birmingham News

The plans follow a possible development that is being proposed by Exquisite Development. They want the road straightened and widen all the way to Dunnavant Valley Road. However, the Cahaba River Society is totally against saying that it could affect the area's main drinking water source Lake Purdy and the ALDOT said they aren't going to fund it neither. In other words, it is going to be funded Jefferson County and the developer.

• 2 weeks later...

Article from The Birmingham News

Thank the Lord! Finally, somebody with good sense has listened and realized that there needs to be a limiting of traffic signals, curb cuts, median cuts, and access in general on that blain highway. Maybe now since this plan has been layed out finally there can be some action with the creation those urban interchanges planned on the western end of US 280 in Jefferson and Northern Shelby counties. I hope one day either there is total limited access with access roads and urban interchanges of US 280 from the Red Mountain Expressway to the Shelby/Talladega line or the upgrading of US 280 to 8-lane limited access freeway w/ HOV lanes.

Thank the Lord! Finally, somebody with good sense has listened and realized that there needs to be a limiting of traffic signals, curb cuts, median cuts, and access in general on that blain highway. Maybe now since this plan has been layed out finally there can be some action with the creation those urban interchanges planned on the western end of US 280 in Jefferson and Northern Shelby counties. I hope one day either there is total limited access with access roads and urban interchanges of US 280 from the Red Mountain Expressway to the Shelby/Talladega line or the upgrading of US 280 to 8-lane limited access freeway w/ HOV lanes.

As cool as that forethinking is, unless the city and county can actually work together, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As cool as that forethinking is, unless the city and county can actually work together, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think the plan for that just been created by Chelsea, Westover, and Vincent will be implemented because they were the ones that envisioned it initially. However, you are so right about the more developed end of US280. Unless Birmingham, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Hoover all sit down at a table and come to an agreement on the implementing the fixing of US280 to the ALDOT then nothing will ever occur.

I think the plan for that just been created by Chelsea, Westover, and Vincent will be implemented because they were the ones that envisioned it initially. However, you are so right about the more developed end of US280. Unless Birmingham, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Hoover all sit down at a table and come to an agreement on the implementing the fixing of US280 to the ALDOT then nothing will ever occur.

What gets me is that Birmingham is just so proud of how they practically re-invented themselves from their past. They're so proud of themselves that they don't want to sit with other majoy cities and help themselves. I'm sure that Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Hoover would help Birmingham completely, cause what happens to one of those cities, affects the whole region.

Birmingham has come a long way since the Morris family founded that post at that railroad intersection, I'd hate for Birmingham to destroy what they improved.

What gets me is that Birmingham is just so proud of how they practically re-invented themselves from their past. They're so proud of themselves that they don't want to sit with other majoy cities and help themselves. I'm sure that Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Hoover would help Birmingham completely, cause what happens to one of those cities, affects the whole region.

Birmingham has come a long way since the Morris family founded that post at that railroad intersection, I'd hate for Birmingham to destroy what they improved.

Well actually those suburban muncipalities are the ones that caused the problems of US280. Back in the 1980's when the highway was first widen, the cities of Vestavia Hills, Mtn. Brook, and then independent (incorporated) Cahaba Heights used the NIMBY groups to keep the highway from being upgraded to limited access all the way to the Shelby County line. Instead it was just widened and lined with numerous traffic lights. When development and traffic came those communities sit there looking like Boo the Fool for their own ignorance. Birmingham and Hoover didn't have any land that way besides Lake Purdy (Birmingham) incorporated into their cities, and Homewood already had the Red Mountain (Elton B. Stephens) Expressway (US 31/280) going through their city so they didn't care. ALDOT didn't help when they again widened the road to 8 lanes and didn't do any type of upgrading (besides the "Move your car to the side of the roadway if stalled or in crash" signs and the signage bridges that is typical of most limited access highways in the state), so the problem has just grown and presisted to the huge problem it is today.

Well actually those suburban muncipalities are the ones that caused the problems of US280. Back in the 1980's when the highway was first widen, the cities of Vestavia Hills, Mtn. Brook, and then independent (incorporated) Cahaba Heights used the NIMBY groups to keep the highway from being upgraded to limited access all the way to the Shelby County line. Instead it was just widened and lined with numerous traffic lights. When development and traffic came those communities sit there looking like Boo the Fool for their own ignorance. Birmingham and Hoover didn't have any land that way besides Lake Purdy (Birmingham) incorporated into their cities, and Homewood already had the Red Mountain (Elton B. Stephens) Expressway (US 31/280) going through their city so they didn't care. ALDOT didn't help when they again widened the road to 8 lanes and didn't do any type of upgrading (besides the "Move your car to the side of the roadway if stalled or in crash" signs and the signage bridges that is typical of most limited access highways in the state), so the problem has just grown and presisted to the huge problem it is today.

Didn't Hoover object to any type of access management along US 280 for fears of it reducing the tax base?

I have seen that US 280 access management plan before it was unveiled; it assumed that US 280 west of Hugh Daniel Drive would be converted to a freeway with frontage roads. I believe this plan calls for the businesses that develop along the roadway to pay for the installation of frontage roads.

Didn't Hoover object to any type of access management along US 280 for fears of it reducing the tax base?

That is true, but what I was talking about happened back in the 1980's. Hoover didn't annex the land it currently has along US280 until the early to mid-1990's.

I have seen that US 280 access management plan before it was unveiled; it assumed that US 280 west of Hugh Daniel Drive would be converted to a freeway with frontage roads. I believe this plan calls for the businesses that develop along the roadway to pay for the installation of frontage roads.

That is true. There have been plans for west of Hugh Daniel Drive for US 280 to be limited access with urban interchanges and frontage/access roads. However, those plans have been on board since 1998. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm just saying what I view. We all know how the press distorts what actually happens.

This area needs a mass tranist element. If not, future generations will look back at our decisions and wonder what we were smoking. We can not build the lanes necessary to get out of the mess. The easier we make to get from point A to point B....the further point B will move away from point A.

There was an article in the Sunday edition of The Birmingham News that discussed the lack of proper use of the 14 highway messageboards in the area. However, nearly none of the police departments report the traffic incidents or accidents on the area's freeways. Here's the article: Why is this sign still blank?

Honestly, it all comes down to imcompetence IMO. Once again surprise, surprise Birmingham doesn't even try to coordinately tries to report its traffic problems to the control center on Arkadelphia Road. :rolleyes: They said they that has not been one of their priorities. I can understand Trussville's problem because apparently somebody at the ALDOT didn't give them the right number to call in. It is a shame that after all these years of problems with those boards apparently somebody still hasn't got this mess right.

Another thing to bring into this discussion, US280 and its lack of more messageboards and traffic cameras. Why isn't there more cameras monitoring and warn commuters of traffic on the area's most problematic highway? When is the full ITS network ever going to get up and properly running in this region b/c we still have to place fiber optic traffic speed sensors into area roadways to determine the flow/speed of traffic?

I think, in part, the problem is that they arent getting cooperation from all the various municipal police forces. The police must report to the information center whenever there's a wreck. The traffic cameras can see some accidents, but that covers a very limited area of the interstate system through Birmingham. I also think they dont have a full-time paid staff that is standing by at the information center at the ready to post relevant traffic information. If we could get all the police around the metro reporting interstate accidents, the message boards could actually become reliable sources of information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is now some hope for the messageboards. The Birmingham Division director of the ALDOT has sent out requests to the 17 different law enforcement agencies that cover the area. Nearly all of them have responded and the plan is to have the 14 messageboards all reporting traffic conditions and incidents by September. Also they was a mentioning of the expansion of the ASAP auto assistance service to all the area freeways as well as secondary highways of US 280, US 11, US 78, and US 31.

There is now some hope for the messageboards. The Birmingham Division director of the ALDOT has sent out requests to the 17 different law enforcement agencies that cover the area. Nearly all of them have responded and the plan is to have the 14 messageboards all reporting traffic conditions and incidents by September. Also they was a mentioning of the expansion of the ASAP auto assistance service to all the area freeways as well as secondary highways of US 280, US 11, US 78, and US 31.

The Progress 280 (PDF) study calls for service roads and "urban interchanges" between I-459 and Hugh Daniel Drive. West of I-459, it was determined that intersections should be relocated. This study also takes into consideration BRT.

I am not sure how this would compare to a service road/urban interchange system for US 280. How would you get onto the elevated road if you did not happen to be where it began or ended? The Florida project seems to only shuttle commuters from Tampa to the eastern suburb of Brandon, non-stop. That solution is impractical for US 280.

I should also mention that during the construction of the elevated road in Florida that this same engineering group designed, some of the piers that would hold up the elevated tollway collapsed into the ground, delaying the project.

Why am I not surprised? I am usually so pro-Progress 280, this is one of the dumbest things I've seen them promote ever. They are asking for trouble with this project. Just wait all the NIMBYs that helped kill the upgrading of US 280 back in the 1980's will resurface just to stop this project as well.

The Progress 280 (PDF) study calls for service roads and "urban interchanges" between I-459 and Hugh Daniel Drive. West of I-459, it was determined that intersections should be relocated. This study also takes into consideration BRT.

I am not sure how this would compare to a service road/urban interchange system for US 280. How would you get onto the elevated road if you did not happen to be where it began or ended? The Florida project seems to only shuttle commuters from Tampa to the eastern suburb of Brandon, non-stop. That solution is impractical for US 280.

I should also mention that during the construction of the elevated road in Florida that this same engineering group designed, some of the piers that would hold up the elevated tollway collapsed into the ground, delaying the project.

Now, I'm not the authority on the soil composition in the Birmingham area. But, isn't Tampa's soil kinda weaker than the soil in Birmingham??

Archived