Greater Birmingham Roads and Freeways

kayman

Me too. I also thought that ALDOT's mission was to improve transportation throughout the state of Alabama. Hmmmm........ wonder where THAT came from...........................

It is one of those thing that does make to go "Hmmmm..." because I thought they said were going to change all the major freeways surface composition from concrete to asphalt. ALDOT is an enigma.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four broken I-65 lanes reopening today

I thought that the ALDOT was suppose to total replace the concrete roadway surfaces with asphalt?

I think this was an emergency repair due to cracking in the roadway surface. Replacing just that portion with asphalt could cause more problems down the road with water seeping into the cracks and freezing.

All new full concrete rehab projects ALDOT does involves placing a 1" layer of open-graded friction course on the top, which is an asphalt layer that improves rainwater drainage.

Letter to editor from citizen in Hoover

In the more than 17 years since I moved back to my hometown, patch work to repair potholes and other damage has been an ongoing affair.

Ever wondered why the work always ends at the Cahaba River Bridge? Or why the concrete stretch on Interstate 459 runs from U.S. 31 to U.S. 280? It's because back in the 1950s when the interstate highway system was designed, the concrete makers and the asphalt makers agreed on a political compromise that divided the system so both interests would be taken care of. Interstates in cities like Birmingham are usually made of concrete, while rural interstates are asphalt.

No thought was given to whether a particular stretch of road was better suited to the other surface. And years of experience tells us that particular segment of I-65 would have been better suited to asphalt.

Isn't it time to admit defeat, dig up the concrete and replace it with asphalt? In this case, "cut and run" makes a lot of sense.

That would have to be got to be the smartest response to our problematic freeway system in Birmingham.

Transporatation officials answers beltline questions

The ALDOT held 2 Q&A hearings open to the public at the Jeffco Courthouse Annex in Center Point over concerns involving the Northern Beltline. The officials informed the public of the final environmental impact over the 4.5 mile stretch that will be the first segment constructed.

Both Homewood and Mountain Brook have publicly announced they will do everything in their power to prevent the construction of the elevated tollway on US 280.

Regional cooperation at its finest. :rolleyes:

Although to be perfectly honest, routing traffic from the elevated US 280 east of I-459 to I-459 itself could actually work. Many cities are becoming more strongly opposed to new freeway construction inside of their beltway systems. On the other hand, the elevated tollway can be constructed such that minimal noise and light pollution can come from the structure (noise barriers being instrumental). However, I think their main justification of being against it is that they should not have to pay for everyone that moved to Shelby County in the form of a large structure being built right next to their neighborhoods.

Regional cooperation at its finest. :rolleyes:

Although to be perfectly honest, routing traffic from the elevated US 280 east of I-459 to I-459 itself could actually work. Many cities are becoming more strongly opposed to new freeway construction inside of their beltway systems. On the other hand, the elevated tollway can be constructed such that minimal noise and light pollution can come from the structure (noise barriers being instrumental). However, I think their main justification of being against it is that they should not have to pay for everyone that moved to Shelby County in the form of a large structure being built right next to their neighborhoods.

I'm starting to believe that the eastern portion of the tollway being elevated could work also. I say let them Shelby County folks have their end of the problem with that huge structure because (of course they're be complaining about it within a few decades of it being finished :rolleyes: ). I would rather see the western portion of US 280 get an limited-access with overpasses upgrade like the MPO had originally planned for the entire roadway.

No design hearing slated for eastern portion of the Northern Beltline

The meeting that discussed the segment of the Northern Beltline in Pinson brought about questions about the eastern portion of the roadway that would connect to I-59. The DOT official there basically said that wouldn't be on the design table anytime soon.

There was an article in today's Bham News talking about how I-65 commuters should begin seeing work on the I-22 connector at I-65 by this spring. The director of the DOT says he wants everything completed by 2010 which is a welcome sign considering they had been pushing it back towards 2011 or even 2012. Probably the first signs of work we'll see will be the additional lanes from 16th Street all the way up to Walkers Chapel Rd. Also they hope to have I-22 open from Graysville all the way up to just outside Memphis. Looking forward to seeing this project complete.

FTA:

The interchange will extend about four miles from U.S. 31 in Fultondale to 16th Street in Birmingham. Interstate 65 will be widened to eight lanes with exit ramps leading to three-lane collector-distribution roads on each side of the interstate, said DOT Assistance Chief Engineer Don Arkle.

I wonder if this means that there will be an express/local setup for the four-mile length?

There was an article in today's Bham News talking about how I-65 commuters should begin seeing work on the I-22 connector at I-65 by this spring. The director of the DOT says he wants everything completed by 2010 which is a welcome sign considering they had been pushing it back towards 2011 or even 2012. Probably the first signs of work we'll see will be the additional lanes from 16th Street all the way up to Walkers Chapel Rd. Also they hope to have I-22 open from Graysville all the way up to just outside Memphis. Looking forward to seeing this project complete.

And I ask, "What took them so long to do this?" It is embarassing that Mississippi has had their stretch, which is longer, has been complete since the late 1990's. Meanwhile Alabama has just gotten serious about this corridor in the last 7 years. SMH

And I ask, "What took them so long to do this?" It is embarassing that Mississippi has had their stretch, which is longer, has been complete since the late 1990's. Meanwhile Alabama has just gotten serious about this corridor in the last 7 years. SMH

I'm fairly certain all they did was upgrade US 78 through MS up to interstate-standard. Alabama, however, built virtually an entirely new route.

I'm fairly certain all they did was upgrade US 78 through MS up to interstate-standard. Alabama, however, built virtually an entirely new route.

They didn't even upgrade it to interstate standards. A lot of it was built on a new route in Mississippi, but it was built as a freeway lacking paved shoulders and, in some places, a wide median. MDOT will now have to go back and put in paved shoulders along the length of the road and put in and widen the median in places where it's too narrow (New Albany). Not to mention that there is no connection to the Memphis interstate system as of now (and there probably won't be when the I-65 interchange is finished either).

• 2 weeks later...

Phone line delays Shelby road work

The location of fiber optic lines owned by BellSouth is what hinders the opening of Alabaster Boulevard in Shelby County. The construction company that has been contracted by Colonial Properties Trust to pave the road that will connect Pelham to Alabaster east of I-65, saying the delays is involving the phone lines under the projected roadway path.

I hear that work on the I-22 segment from Cherry Ave. to I-65 has broken ground? Any confirmation of this?

Not to I-65, but work has been underway for several months now on the grade and drain east of Cherry Ave to Coalburg Rd. I am wondering when ALDOT will get around to awarding the contract to I-65.

Not to I-65, but work has been underway for several months now on the grade and drain east of Cherry Ave to Coalburg Rd. I am wondering when ALDOT will get around to awarding the contract to I-65.

I heard that it will occur in the spring, but that's no guarantee of course b/c this is ALDOT we are talking about.

New Shelby County chamber president hopes to alleviate county's traffic woes

The new Shelby County Chamber of Commerce President is Jennifer Trammell, formerly of BellSouth as public relations regional manager. She plans on continue the former chamber president's initative to alleviate the county's traffic woes. She also wants to bring more business and jobs to the county to rising the county's quality of life and sustainability.

However, as much as I am glad to see some who has a great plan for Shelby County's future, but she suggested the county's traffic woes solutions as more roads. If anything she needs to make it an initiative like the Metro Birmingham Chamber of Commerce to push for involvement in the regional transportation plan. More road improvements are fine, but not more roads.

Traffic tends to bottleneck on 280, 65, and 119 in the mornings and afternoons. 119 does because the number of schools on it. 280 and 65 do because there are a limited number of ways to get downtown. Even Rocky Ridge Road gets a little too much traffic in the afternoon (which is kinda scary considering how much it winds and that itty bitty bridge). While in the long term, a good transit system would help the most, there needs to be a few more ways to go downtown in order to deal with the potential problems with traffic until that goal can be obtained. For example, if Shelby and Jefferson ccould just fix that bridge next to the 280 Home Depot, it might help traffic flow a little better... but they haven't done anything about it during the time I've lived here (8 years).

It's getting close to where you don't need a car except for places like school/work or church at some points on 280. I can walk down the hill and go see a movie or get groceries (granted, I probably wouldn't want to walk back home with them.). A friend of mine walks to her part time job when no one else is able to take her there. If they can work on density (interspersed with necessities like shops andgroceries/resturants and with basic entertainment places like movie theatres and such), I think people would be more accepting of a mass transit system. However, at the moment, things seemed grouped together, shopping centers line 280. Houses are grouped in huge areas like meadowbrook. If there is a fewer reasons to need a car for everyday tasks, I think there might be more willingness to go through the "hassle" of mass transit for the places they will need a car to go to.

But, er, I'm not that well studied on successful transit.

Archived