Interstate 85 in Greenville

darw10

Has anyone noticed how much trash is on the interstate between Laurens Road and Woodruff Road (both sides)? This is supposedly going to be a high profile area in the coming years with CU-ICAR, Verdae and Millenium Campus, yet this stretch of road is perhaps the most embarrassing in the upstate. I'm not sure how we can with a straight face convince new ventures what a great place this is to do business when it looks this bad? I would expect dirty roads from the County, but not the City of Greenville. Is there anything we can do? Perhaps the local UrbanPlanet crowd can adopt this stretch of road?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone noticed how much trash is on the interstate between Laurens Road and Woodruff Road (both sides)? This is supposedly going to be a high profile area in the coming years with CU-ICAR, Verdae and Millenium Campus, yet this stretch of road is perhaps the most embarrassing in the upstate. I'm not sure how we can with a straight face convince new ventures what a great place this is to do business when it looks this bad? I would expect dirty roads from the County, but not the City of Greenville. Is there anything we can do? Perhaps the local UrbanPlanet crowd can adopt this stretch of road?

A person with 9 posts to their name asking us to pick up trash? Hmm...

Here's a thought...why don't you do it, if it bothers you so much? :thumbsup:

I don't know if there is a procedure for adopting an interstate highway, but it would be nice to get out and make a difference along this stretch at least. I hope the City has plans to improve the landscaping along ICAR/Millennium Campus. I know part of Verdae included redesigning the bridge crossing over I-85, and I think it would be great to have a beautifully landscaped passage through there to let travelers know that Greenville is no ordinary place. Who knows, it might entice a few to stop for awhile, when they would have continued through without hesitancy. :)

A person with 9 posts to their name asking us to pick up trash? Hmm...

Here's a thought...why don't you do it, if it bothers you so much? :thumbsup:

For the record, we welcome anyone who is willing to contribute to the discussion topics here. The number of times a member chooses to post is not important and makes no difference in how well he/she is accepted. If you feel like contributing to a discussion, post your comment, otherwise, you have the freedom to just read. You are no less appreciated.

Hi darw10! It's been a while since we've heard from you, but you've almost always got something worthwhile to say when you do speak up. :thumbsup:

Stretches of Interstate Highway are typically too dangerous to be considered for Adopt-a-Highway Cleanups; however, I believe we can sponsor a secton of interstate for cleanup. It's not really the same thing though.

I think this is a great idea because 1) I realize how littered this stretch of highway has become and 2) it would be good visibility for Urban Planet (Greenville's members at least) to have their name attached to a heavily-travelled stretch of interstate highway. I'm not sure how Neo feels about this though, so we may want to send him a message to get his thoughts. In any event, if we did choose to move forward with such an undertaking, I would be willing to back you if you would like to take the lead in organizing such an effort to turn this stretch of I-85 into a Palmetto Prideway.

For more information:

Stretches of Interstate Highway are typically too dangerous to be considered for Adopt-a-Highway Cleanups; however, I believe we can sponsor a secton of interstate for cleanup. It's not really the same thing though.

I think this is a great idea because 1) I realize how littered this stretch of highway has become and 2) it would be good visibility for Urban Planet (Greenville's members at least) to have their name attached to a heavily-travelled stretch of interstate highway. I'm not sure how Neo feels about this though, so we may want to send him a message to get his thoughts. In any event, if we did choose to move forward with such an undertaking, I would be willing to back you if you would like to take the lead in organizing such an effort to turn this stretch of I-85 into a Palmetto Prideway.

Great idea! To have the UP name attached would be fantastic, as UP should be more than a website. It should be a "change agent" that challenges people to interact with their surroundings and live life fully.

I hope the City has plans to improve the landscaping along ICAR/Millennium Campus. I know part of Verdae included redesigning the bridge crossing over I-85, and I think it would be great to have a beautifully landscaped passage through there to let travelers know that Greenville is no ordinary place.

Would this be the Old Sulphur Springs Road bridge over I-85? That bridge could be replaced. The increased traffic over I-85 from ICAR to Verdae and vice-versa should warrant the road to be widened to four lanes.

I could imagine a four lane bridge similar to the Fairview Road bridge over I-385 in Simpsonville with lampposts on the sides. Old Sulphur Springs could then be widened to four lanes with a tree lined median to keep things looking nice. The curved intersection at Forrester Drive would need dire improvements.

Hi darw10! It's been a while since we've heard from you, but you've almost always got something worthwhile to say when you do speak up. :thumbsup:

For more information:

Thanks for the information. I doubt the state will allow public citizens to walk the interstates but will certainly look into what can be done. Didn't mean to offend anyone, especially being a newbie here, but wouldn't mind discussing more development news with everyone in the future (maybe a few more pictures as well).

Thanks for the information. I doubt the state will allow public citizens to walk the interstates but will certainly look into what can be done. Didn't mean to offend anyone, especially being a newbie here, but wouldn't mind discussing more development news with everyone in the future (maybe a few more pictures as well).

You didn't offend me. I thought it was a great idea. I know the state allows the public to walk along highways and side roads but i'm not sure about interstates. I think they mostly use prisoners and palmetto pride to keep those clean and the public for side roads using adopt-a-highway.

Well they'd better get the prisoners out there immediately because this is a serious black eye for our city and the entire Upstate. Thanks to darw10, I actually turned and looked to the shoulders of the road, and about lost my lunch at the dispicable sight. We could start calling it the Millennium Landfill since it looks like nothing has been picked up since 2000. :sick:

If anyone can work a deal for us to adopt the stretch between Woodruff and Laurens roads, I'm all for helping out. I will see what else I can stir up to make our local officials aware of the disgusting nature of our main traffic artery.

... Didn't mean to offend anyone, especially being a newbie here, but wouldn't mind discussing more development news with everyone in the future (maybe a few more pictures as well).

You didn't offend anyone at all and I am glad you joined us here at UrbanPlanet. I apoligise that you had to deal with an out of line forumer.

I as well. It's great to have you on board with us! You are very handy with your camera too. I'm sure Upstate29650 will apologize and we'll all get along well from now on. He's been a steady contributor recently and is welcome to continue posting as long as he doesn't take personal shots at other members. We all generally seem to think alike when it comes to the growth of Greenville. :thumbsup:

I think people should be fined at least $1000 for littering. I simply don't understand how hard it is to just hold onto the McDonald's bag until you get home or to a place with a trashcan. Aside from being lazy, it's bad for our environment and is an eyesore to others.

Seriously. You'd be amazed at what people throw away in rural places where they think nobody lives. I've seen people throwing out everything from bags of trash to recliners (I kid you not). I was at a clean up site once and we found all sorts of things including a lawn mower and a grill. I don't understand how hard it is to throw something out, or take it to a landfill.

Most landfills charge by the pound for disposal of things of the nature of the ones Spartan has mentioned. Some won't take them at all. When the cost of time and effort to drop things off at landfills exceeds that of paying a fine if being caught littering, what would you do (not saying that I would - just explaining the reasoning process)??

I agree. The fines should be MUCH stiffer.

Additionally, people (that's you and me) should be MUCH more involved to report litterbugs:

If you spot someone tossing litter from an automobile, grab your phone and call 1-877-7LITTER (1-877-754-8837) or dial #LB (#52) on your Cingular or Alltel Phone toll free and report the location, time and the litterbug's license number.

The litterbug will get a courtesy letter from the Department of Public Safety informing him or her that you can't get away with littering in South Carolina. The letter will explain that if a law enforcement officer had witnessed the littering, it could have resulted in a serious fine or even jail time.

Archived