Need some Greensboro area information

taco1881

Whats up everyone. I may be moving down to greensboro for a job, but I don't know if the area is right for me. I grew up near NYC, and went to school in Boston so I've always been near big busy cities. I don't mind moving to a smaller city, but I'm a little afraid of moving somewhere and having nothing to do. Whats the area like, whats the nightlife like, are most of the young people centered around the college? Has anyone moved to greensboro from a big city and what do they think? Also, since I can't afford a house and will be renting what are some of the best areas downtown? I'm just looking for any information or opinions you could throw my way. Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats up everyone. I may be moving down to greensboro for a job, but I don't know if the area is right for me. I grew up near NYC, and went to school in Boston so I've always been near big busy cities. I don't mind moving to a smaller city, but I'm a little afraid of moving somewhere and having nothing to do. Whats the area like, whats the nightlife like, are most of the young people centered around the college? Has anyone moved to greensboro from a big city and what do they think? Also, since I can't afford a house and will be renting what are some of the best areas downtown? I'm just looking for any information or opinions you could throw my way. Thanks

Well dude all depends on your age man. If I were moving to NC for the first time, I would suggest Charlotte or Raleigh. If you are looking for a big city feel definitely Charlotte. Other cool smaller towns in NC would be Asheville or Wilmington. Greensboro is just OK. Its not a bad city, but its not a great city either. Acutally, I would prefer Winston Salem over Greensboro. It definitely has a more urban feel. If you are wanting to live in or near the Center City of Greensboro, you are probably looking at around $1000.00 a month for rent. Most of the new condos are selling in the low 200,000. There are several bars and clubs in downtown. Acutally, I live downtown. Greensboro's downtown has a very small city like feel and it is in the beginning of a revitilization. Most of the universities are near downtown. Hope this helps.

Well dude all depends on your age man. If I were moving to NC for the first time, I would suggest Charlotte or Raleigh. If you are looking for a big city feel definitely Charlotte. Other cool smaller towns in NC would be Asheville or Wilmington. Greensboro is just OK. Its not a bad city, but its not a great city either. Acutally, I would prefer Winston Salem over Greensboro. It definitely has a more urban feel. If you are wanting to live in or near the Center City of Greensboro, you are probably looking at around $1000.00 a month for rent. Most of the new condos are selling in the low 200,000. There are several bars and clubs in downtown. Acutally, I live downtown. Greensboro's downtown has a very small city like feel and it is in the beginning of a revitilization. Most of the universities are near downtown. Hope this helps.

actually Greensboro has a big city and small town feel. If you are looking for big city action, Charlotte is the best option. When comparing Greensboro vs Winston-Salem, there are differences. Winston-Salem's downtown has a more urban appearance becasue it has a bigger skyline than Greensboro. Winston-Salem is more artsy and has alot of historical architecture. Greensboro has a better night life downtown and in the city as a whole and there are more shopping and restaurant options in Greensboro. Greensboro also has more entertainment options. There are alot of nightclubs and restaurants downtown and Greensboro just built a new downtown ballpark. The Greensboro Coliseum host alot of big concerts and during the summer you can have some fun at Wet'nWild Emerald Pointe Waterpark.

Winston-Salem does have more of a northern appeal than Greensboro due to its architecture and urban industrial feel downtown. So if you are looking for a more northern appeal, Winston-Salem might be a better option than Greensboro. But my suggestion is to live somewhere between the two cities because the housing is cheaper there and the amenities of both cities will be close to you. Or you move to the city thats closest to your job wether it be in Greensboro or Winston-Salem. You could save alot on gas.

I would recommend living in Winston and taking the PART in to Greensboro. Downtown G'boro is alright for a city of it size but the rest of the town is nothing but sprawl. I really can't find any charm in the city except in downtown and on Market St. Don't try living out in the suburbs, it will give you a bad taste for our area. The rent is expensive but you could always put up an ad on a apartment website looking for a roommate to split the rent.

having lived in boston, greensboro and charlotte, i can tell you that if you got attached to being able to go out and pretty much do anything you could think of in nyc and boston, you're not going to find that same way of life anywhere in north carolina.

charlotte is definitely the closest as far as actually feeling like a big city. the thing i like most about greensboro, though, is the very fact that it is NOT like boston. it's laid back and green and lush. in the warmer months, the scenery is great. you have to do a lot of driving to get around and gain access to the different things that any of the cities in NC have to offer and that is probably the worst thing about cities here. public transportation is a joke to most north carolinians, and that's a big problem

but, there are things to do here. there are some really great restaurants and other things to do. you're just not going to find nearly the same kind of variety that nyc or boston has.

as far as rents go, if you're used to rents in nyc and boston, you won't believe how cheap the cost of living is here. in fact, if i were you i would definitely look into buying a house or condo as our housing prices are well below the insane levels of the north. you may be surprised by how much house you can actually buy and still come out with a lower mortgage (after taxes) than what your rents may have been up north. don't write off buying until you check into it!

Thanks for the replies everyone. The job is in greensboro, so I don't think Charlotte is an option. I know the lifestyle is going to be totally different than up here, but who knows I might like it. I'm just hoping if I do want to go out or something there are a least some options. One person mentioned traveling from Winston to Greensboro, what would that commute be like?

I would definitely recommend living in Winston-Salem and taking the PART in to Greensboro. The PART Express Bus leaves from the Winston-Salem Transportation Center in Downtown and then makes a stop in one of our local sububs, Kernersville, and then makes its way to the Regional Hub near the airport. You could then pick up a Greensboro City Bus and go anywhere in the city. Where are you going to work anyway? This whole route (Winston to Regional Hub) would take about 30 minutes total and they leave every 30 minutes starting at 6:00 AM. See the enclosed chart. Fares are $2.00 each way and if you were to do this then I would recommend getting a monthly pass for about $50. This is great deal because if you were to consider this and do it there would be no need for a car and that would be no payment.

Time Table for PART

If you were to do this then I would recommend living in downtown Winston. If you don't mind leasing, I would recommend living in the Nissen Building. It was recently totally renovated and looks very modern inside but yet keeps the same historical charm. The lease per month is about $700 for one bedroom. It has a rooftop pool and a fitness center. We have lots of restaurants just next to the building. We have the coming up opening of Mellow Mushroom which serves pizza, salads, calzones, and subs and is right next door to the Nissen Building. Across the street is the Stevens Center which is a historic theater that puts on fabulous performances and Broadway like shows. During the summer there are annual music events put on in downtown where they block off the streets so everybody can come down and enjoy the city. Every first Friday of the month our fabulous Arts District holds a Gallery Hop where they showcase wonderful art from our unique art galleries and stores in the Arts District. The best thing about all this is that its all a few steps from your front door in downtown Winston. I'm not putting down G'boro at all, it's just I "think" we have more to offer in Winston. Let me know if you want any more info! :D

PART (Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation) Website

Nissen Apartments Website

ive always felt that Greensboro offered more for the younger crowd...which makes since with a student population comparable with Raleigh. the city has plenty nightlife options as far as clubs, concerts and more of a variety of retail and restaurants. W-S has the same, but a little less. we're playing catch-up by offering more restaurants and retail, and big concerts. our student popluation is rapidly growing right now so in a couple years, i expect more clubs, more bars...more of a jumping nightlife. there's a good selection of live music events and venues especially in the summer. if you like sports, you might like winston...the triad city for college sports. we have an ACC team, a MEAC team, racing and single A baseball.

but it really doesnt matter, you can stay in one and easliy travel to the other for entertainment.

ive always felt that Greensboro offered more for the younger crowd...which makes since with a student population comparable with Raleigh. the city has plenty nightlife options as far as clubs, concerts and more of a variety of retail and restaurants. W-S has the same, but a little less. we're playing catch-up by offering more restaurants and retail, and big concerts. our student popluation is rapidly growing right now so in a couple years, i expect more clubs, more bars...more of a jumping nightlife. there's a good selection of live music events and venues especially in the summer. if you like sports, you might like winston...the triad city for college sports. we have an ACC team, a MEAC team, racing and single A baseball.

but it really doesnt matter, you can stay in one and easliy travel to the other for entertainment.

That's true twincity! I just hate how Wake Forest wasn't located closer to downtown Winston. Think of all the new things that we could've had if they were closer. But, hines sight is always 20-20 so I guess it really doesn't matter. I wish Ziggy's would relocate somewhere downtown. We need more people on the streets of Winston! In the past few months it has gotten better with foot traffic, I'll take a drive downtown with the family and notice that there are a "few" people walking the streets.

actually Greensboro has a big city and small town feel. If you are looking for big city action, Charlotte is the best option. When comparing Greensboro vs Winston-Salem, there are differences. Winston-Salem's downtown has a more urban appearance becasue it has a bigger skyline than Greensboro. Winston-Salem is more artsy and has alot of historical architecture. Greensboro has a better night life downtown and in the city as a whole and there are more shopping and restaurant options in Greensboro. Greensboro also has more entertainment options. There are alot of nightclubs and restaurants downtown and Greensboro just built a new downtown ballpark. The Greensboro Coliseum host alot of big concerts and during the summer you can have some fun at Wet'nWild Emerald Pointe Waterpark.

Winston-Salem does have more of a northern appeal than Greensboro due to its architecture and urban industrial feel downtown. So if you are looking for a more northern appeal, Winston-Salem might be a better option than Greensboro. But my suggestion is to live somewhere between the two cities because the housing is cheaper there and the amenities of both cities will be close to you. Or you move to the city thats closest to your job wether it be in Greensboro or Winston-Salem. You could save alot on gas.

Great comments cityboi, you summed it up well.

I would definitely recommend living in Winston-Salem and taking the PART in to Greensboro. The PART Express Bus leaves from the Winston-Salem Transportation Center in Downtown and then makes a stop in one of our local sububs, Kernersville, and then makes its way to the Regional Hub near the airport. You could then pick up a Greensboro City Bus and go anywhere in the city. Where are you going to work anyway? This whole route (Winston to Regional Hub) would take about 30 minutes total and they leave every 30 minutes starting at 6:00 AM. See the enclosed chart. Fares are $2.00 each way and if you were to do this then I would recommend getting a monthly pass for about $50. This is great deal because if you were to consider this and do it there would be no need for a car and that would be no payment.

Time Table for PART

If you were to do this then I would recommend living in downtown Winston. If you don't mind leasing, I would recommend living in the Nissen Building. It was recently totally renovated and looks very modern inside but yet keeps the same historical charm. The lease per month is about $700 for one bedroom. It has a rooftop pool and a fitness center. We have lots of restaurants just next to the building. We have the coming up opening of Mellow Mushroom which serves pizza, salads, calzones, and subs and is right next door to the Nissen Building. Across the street is the Stevens Center which is a historic theater that puts on fabulous performances and Broadway like shows. During the summer there are annual music events put on in downtown where they block off the streets so everybody can come down and enjoy the city. Every first Friday of the month our fabulous Arts District holds a Gallery Hop where they showcase wonderful art from our unique art galleries and stores in the Arts District. The best thing about all this is that its all a few steps from your front door in downtown Winston. I'm not putting down G'boro at all, it's just I "think" we have more to offer in Winston. Let me know if you want any more info! :D

PART (Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation) Website

Nissen Apartments Website

I have to agree. The Nissen Apartments are great. Greensboro does not have any apartments this nice in its downtown and $700.00 is not bad considering the location. Greenboro is only about a 30 minute commute from Winston. I commute to Winston from Greensboro everyday and its not that bad, but I am planning on moving to downtown Winston within the next year.

I have to agree. The Nissen Apartments are great. Greensboro does not have any apartments this nice in its downtown and $700.00 is not bad considering the location. Greenboro is only about a 30 minute commute from Winston. I commute to Winston from Greensboro everyday and its not that bad, but I am planning on moving to downtown Winston within the next year.

Where are you planning to live in DT Winston? I would like to see what people think of living conditions in DT Winston?

Where are you planning to live in DT Winston? I would like to see what people think of living conditions in DT Winston?

Right now its between West End Village and The Gallery. I like to location of West End Villiage but not that crazy about the floor plans. I prefer the floor plans and layout of The Gallery Lofts. I have an appointment next week with The Gallery. It appears that sales are going well from my phone conversation today. Theres just something about living in an old building that really appeals to me. Although, I don't really care for the surroundings. As long as there are definite plans to clean the area up I think it will be an OK location. I hope to get more specifics next week. I will let you know what I find out.

Right now its between West End Village and The Gallery. I like to location of West End Villiage but not that crazy about the floor plans. I prefer the floor plans and layout of The Gallery Lofts. I have an appointment next week with The Gallery. It appears that sales are going well from my phone conversation today. Theres just something about living in an old building that really appeals to me. Although, I don't really care for the surroundings. As long as there are definite plans to clean the area up I think it will be an OK location. I hope to get more specifics next week. I will let you know what I find out.

That's great! I'm glad to see people in this city are interested in lofts!

I say if your job is Greensboro, live in Greensboro. That would be crazy to commute from W-S everyday. I have commuted before like that and it gets old pretty fast. Besides there isn't anything that special or unique about W-S to warrant a commute. And I would say the same thing about Greensboro.

There are lots of affordable apartments in Greensboro. And like someone said, after you live here a while, if you like how things are going, buying a house or condo is a great idea. If you want to rent downtown it might be tough right now. Most of the housing dt are condos and what you can rent tends to be more expensive than comparable apartments outside of downtown. I would recommend areas just to the west and north of downtown if you are looking for somewhere closer to the center of town and better pedestrian orientations. If that is not important, the north, northwest side of town are the nicer areas.

Greensboro has a pretty good night life scene. Downtown stays pretty hopping in the evening. Watching minor-league baseball in the still new downtown stadium is pretty fun. There is also arena football and probably hockey that will soon return to the coliseum. The coliseum also brings in major entertainers and ACC/NCAA basketball tournaments regularly. If you are into theater there are professional and amateur acts that can be seen. Professional golf tournament once a year to see. Greensboro has a very good park system.

Anyway, there are lots of things to do. It is much different than Boston and N.Y. Some things you would surely miss however some things you probably wouldn't miss. I think I have a good quality of life here. I have access to a lot of the benefits of a larger city with less hassle.

The main thing, no matter where you go, is to try to get involved and make friends. The friendships and relationships you build will give you more happiness than the bricks, mortar and asphalt of a city.

I say if your job is Greensboro, live in Greensboro. That would be crazy to commute from W-S everyday. I have commuted before like that and it gets old pretty fast. Besides there isn't anything that special or unique about W-S to warrant a commute. And I would say the same thing about Greensboro.

There are lots of affordable apartments in Greensboro. And like someone said, after you live here a while, if you like how things are going, buying a house or condo is a great idea. If you want to rent downtown it might be tough right now. Most of the housing dt are condos and what you can rent tends to be more expensive than comparable apartments outside of downtown. I would recommend areas just to the west and north of downtown if you are looking for somewhere closer to the center of town and better pedestrian orientations. If that is not important, the north, northwest side of town are the nicer areas.

Greensboro has a pretty good night life scene. Downtown stays pretty hopping in the evening. Watching minor-league baseball in the still new downtown stadium is pretty fun. There is also arena football and probably hockey that will soon return to the coliseum. The coliseum also brings in major entertainers and ACC/NCAA basketball tournaments regularly. If you are into theater there are professional and amateur acts that can be seen. Professional golf tournament once a year to see. Greensboro has a very good park system.

Anyway, there are lots of things to do. It is much different than Boston and N.Y. Some things you would surely miss however some things you probably wouldn't miss. I think I have a good quality of life here. I have access to a lot of the benefits of a larger city with less hassle.

The main thing, no matter where you go, is to try to get involved and make friends. The friendships and relationships you build will give you more happiness than the bricks, mortar and asphalt of a city.

I beleive Greensboro was voted one of the worst places in the nation to date. Correct me if i'm wrong.

LOL :lol:... d@*n Hotlanta.

here we go...i see this turning into a GSO vs. W-S thread. its been a while so i knew it was coming soon.

I think its impossible to do a Greensboro/Winston-Salem comparison thread without it become a versus thread. :P . everyone is putting spin on their hometowns LOL. Thats only natural though

I think its impossible to do a Greensboro/Winston-Salem comparison thread without it become a versus thread. :P . everyone is putting spin on their hometowns LOL. Thats only natural though

I have live in all 3 triad cities and Greensboro and Winston are buy far the best 2. I would say they are pretty much equal meaning if one don't have it, the other one does.

I have live in all 3 triad cities and Greensboro and Winston are buy far the best 2. I would say they are pretty much equal meaning if one don't have it, the other one does.

They are all unique in their own special way and I will admit that.

I would have to disagree. Some people like a long[er] commute

commuting gets old really quickly. i used to live in greensboro and work in burlington. i hated the drive. now that i'm back in greensboro and am going to school full time and working part time, i'm working at the same place in burlington, so i'm doing the commute thing again. between going to school in jamestown and working in burlington, i am in my car for two and a half hours a day now and i absolutely hate it.

Archived