Rosa Parks Transit Center, Downtown Detroit (U/C)

RustTown

*Repost from SkyscraperPage*

While searching the the Detroit Department of Transportation's website, I came across renderings of the Rosa Parks Transit Center, which brokeground in November of last year with scheduled completion either very late this year or very early next year. The architect and engineer is Parsons Brinckerhoff, an international design and engineering firm that specializes in transportation-related facilities. According to the site the station will include:

- retail and dinning/food service space

- arrival/deparature LED signage

- state of the art security systems (DDOT transit police will be headquarterd here) :)

And more. The canopy will be composed of 50,000 sq. ft. of teflon-coated fabric.

Anyway, here are the renderings and models:

Looking north

87270367_bbc5c32cc2_o.jpg

Canopy

87270369_441ca27608_o.jpg

The Center by night

87270370_f2d33315c1_o.jpg

Site Plan

87270372_1ea8f3884a_o.jpg

Architectural Model

87270371_0e3b1a0305_o.jpg

I like it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks terrific to me, and as far as I am concerned, any substantial investment in transit is a good one!

My next question is will this also serve SMART bus lines? (my guess is no)

I can report that on new years eve, there did not appear to be any construction whatsoever (no pavement removal, staking or pavement removal markings).

If the AA-Detroit Commuter Rail is ever built..... Will this be a station? If they could eventually add in a station for the commuter rail, this transit station would be amazing. In the future I can see the city expanding the station so that it can hold a transfer line for other transit, if we ever get any. :(

Absolutely the worse idea I've seen for Downtown in the last few years.

I like the architecture. I'm talking about the site plan.

Say goodbye to the park. Say goodbye to State Street. Say goodbye to ParkPlace.

Do we say goodbye to any parking lots? NO. Apparently buses are more important than streets to walk on, as well as grass and trees, but not parking.

Take a look at google maps.

maps.google.com

And see what I'm talking about. there are many ways this could have been designed better.

I've suspected the design was this insensitive to what came before and the needs of the city today, but now it is confirmed.

If the AA-Detroit Commuter Rail is ever built..... Will this be a station? If they could eventually add in a station for the commuter rail, this transit station would be amazing. In the future I can see the city expanding the station so that it can hold a transfer line for other transit, if we ever get any. :(

getting heavy rail to this location is near impossible. If they end up chosing a hybrid with say light rail and/or bus, I think you can bet on there being a connection here.

How many of those empty lots are next to People Mover or border Michigan which allow possible light rail/rapid bus connection logistically this is great location. Not all empty lots are created equal

Yeah, wouldn't wanna have to walk a block.

Once again, it would be different in people actually used Times Square Park.

To me Time Square Park was left to rot over the years. It wasn't well kept - more or less like the Capitol Park. Just look at the American Flag that looks like it's been through many battle zones. Also, another reason why it goes unused is b/c of all the bus traffic around it. It's no fun sitting in a small park surrounded by loud/poluting buses. If it was better kept and wasn't unpleasant due to buses, etc. I think there'd be enough people in the surrounding buildings who'd make use of it regularly. I certainly would. But I should have known that the park would die when the piper stopped playing.

I do hope that this new transit center is a positive step towards improved public transit in the city and not just an anomaly that'll lead to no real improvement. For that I welcome it, despite my wanting to keep the park.

How many of those empty lots are next to People Mover or border Michigan which allow possible light rail/rapid bus connection logistically this is great location. Not all empty lots are created equal

Virtually the whole lot north of the park is parking, much more land than is needed anyway. In addition, there is the lot fronting Michigan (with the former Lindell AC). The terminal could be placed in either or both of these spaces. The park could be incorporated into the terminal, keeping the green space.

Once again, it would be different in people actually used Times Square Park. It might as well be a concrete lot seeing as how people treat it. It's not that big of a loss, IMO. It seems people don't care about something until it's threatened.

The park isn't used because it is surrounded by service entrances (east), vacant lot (south), and surface parking (north). The West is the AT&T building, except that it is on the other side of a pedestrian unfriendly Cass. It is a big loss because constructing the terminal as proposed basically permanently destroys that part of the Woodward plan, and it cuts the south part of Washington Blvd off from the west part of downtown.

If it were built carefully surrounding the park on the vacant and parking lots, it would provide all of the same short-term benefits, while none of the long-term detriments.

I thought the point of the transit center was so people wouldnt have to walk a distance from their buses to the people mover. Its makes it much easier for those who take the bus downtown to work.

Buses actually stop at various locations in downtown before getting to the transit center. Those commuting via buses would probably get off (near their work) before the bus gets to the transit center - unless their work is by the transit center like mine. So value of having People Mover near by is well.. none - particularly b/c People Mover is virtually useless IMO.

Archived