Rosa Parks Transit Center, Downtown Detroit (U/C)

RustTown

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First that lot to the north isn't available it was originally supposed to part the center with retail along Grand River. That would leave the Lindell AC block that city was able to aquire while it big enough for the terminal building I think you're going to have traffic/ciruclation and space issues just usuing that block.

First that lot to the north isn't available it was originally supposed to part the center with retail along Grand River. That would leave the Lindell AC block that city was able to aquire while it big enough for the terminal building I think you're going to have traffic/ciruclation and space issues just usuing that block.

The city is aquire anything they want. This is a public purpose and if they pay for the property, it is theirs. They are either too lazy to go through the procedure, or they wanted to spend a lot of money making the facility really nice, instead of making it fit in well with the rest of the city.

When I began hearing about the project a couple of years back, they made it sound as if the surface parking lots between Bagley and Grand River (former footprint of Detroit Times) and Nick's Gaslight were also going to taken over for the Transit Center. As I park in one of those surface lots, I even stared looking for other parking options. Then nothing for a long time until close to the ceremonial ground breaking...

I'm not 100% sure if the original intention was to have a much larger project. But if what I had heard originally is correct, it seems they may have had to scale down the project.

BTW, I'd really love to see a large scale development on the surface parking lot. It's a HUGE void that amplifies sense of ghost town in this area and something large is badly needed here.

EDIT: And I don't mean a parking structure. I don't care if I have to walk half way across the CBD. We need something mix use and massive in that space.

Archived