Healthcare Projects in NWA

mcheiss

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention this earlier. Sounds like getting a satellite campus of UAMS here in NWA could be complicated. The problem seems to be who basically owns the old Washington Regional building. I had always thought it was the VA. But apparently there was a clause that if it wasn't 'in use' it would be turned over to the county. So apparently the county thought it was under their control and was going to turn it over to UAMS. But the VA believes it still owns the building and it would seem wants to be compensated for turning the building over to UAMS.

I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I think the UAMS Children's hospital/doctor's office is completed. I was driving on Dixeland in Lowell the other day and I noticed it in the office development in front of JB Hunt. Not sure if it's completed or what, but the signage is definately up.

Think I mentioned this earlier but...a private physical therapy clinic for kids opened in March very near our business in Centerton.

The one therapist there at the time was a co-owner with her husband of the clinic.

Around April they said they'd be hiring a couple more therapists.

In May her husband told me they'd be up to six therapists by summer's end...he said they were getting referrals from all over, from physicians they didn't even know.

Yesterday I saw the husband on a visit to our business and talked with him...it's mid-July, only near the end of early summer, and they're currently up to seven PTs (for kids) at their clinic, and needing to expand it.

We've got a lot of medical care needs here folks, not because of an unhealthy population, but just because there's so much MORE population...

• 4 weeks later...

Today there was an annoucment by Philips Electronics that they are donating $250,000 toward the construction on the St. Mary's Hospital in Rogers. The company is building a costume "light canvas" for children to use while they wait at the hospital. The donation will be matched by Lee and Linda Scott as part of their matching donation project. This project is a neat idea and is the first of its kind in the world. Below is a link:

http://nwaonline.net/articles/2007/08/16/n...1707rzmercy.txt

Today there was an annoucment by Philips Electronics that they are donating $250,000 toward the construction on the St. Mary's Hospital in Rogers. The company is building a costume "light canvas" for children to use while they wait at the hospital. The donation will be matched by Lee and Linda Scott as part of their matching donation project. This project is a neat idea and is the first of its kind in the world. Below is a link:

http://nwaonline.net/articles/2007/08/16/n...1707rzmercy.txt

Very cool! The new Mercy hospital is going to really be something for Rogers to be proud of. Now Benton County won't be forced to go to Northwest Medical Center or drive all the way to Wash Regional. St. Mary's was always the last place anyone wanted to end up!

• 2 weeks later...

It's sounding more encouraging that UAMS will locate a medical school campus in the old Washington Regional building. They are talking about training starting within 2 years and having 300 students by 2012. It seems the only question is over who will onw the property but if it depends on it being used for medical purposes then being used to educate medical students should count. The University nursing school will relocate to the building also. Hopefully some legal difficulties don't derail the project. UAMS article

It's sounding more encouraging that UAMS will locate a medical school campus in the old Washington Regional building. They are talking about training starting within 2 years and having 300 students by 2012. It seems the only question is over who will onw the property but if it depends on it being used for medical purposes then being used to educate medical students should count. The University nursing school will relocate to the building also. Hopefully some legal difficulties don't derail the project. UAMS article

From what I've been reading it sounds like even if this falls through not all is lost. UAMS could still find another possible location. Although they've been quiet about any other possibilities. But others locations would be more difficult because it would probably have to be office space converted over into medical space. Whereas old Washington Regional is obviously set up as medical space. It would be easier and probably cheaper to locate at the old Washington Regional. All of this basically boils down to the interpretation of the 1949 deed.

• 6 months later...

Mercy Medical Center in Rogers is set to open March 16. The $145 million building broke ground in August 2004 and includes a separate $20 million Physicians Plaza building just north of the center. Here's a photo of the finished project, which turned out to be a beautiful building. I had wondered about the color but it fits it's use as a hospital I think.

DSCN0715.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It had seemed like it was going to go over anyway but I guess now it's official. Everything seems to have been cleared for UAMS to put a satellite campus at the former Washington Regional. I guess it didn't ever revert back to VA control after Washington Regional moved.

I like WRMC more than Mercy. WRMC has some flair whereas Mercy is too regular for me.

Has the needed money been locked down for the satellite med school? There was an article in the Gazette awhile back about UAMS--people talk about

how the U of A is a city within a city, UAMS is the same way. Hopefully the satellite campus will scale up over time.

I like WRMC more than Mercy. WRMC has some flair whereas Mercy is too regular for me.

Has the needed money been locked down for the satellite med school? There was an article in the Gazette awhile back about UAMS--people talk about

how the U of A is a city within a city, UAMS is the same way. Hopefully the satellite campus will scale up over time.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know what they're doing at the old trailer park that's just west of Washington Regional? Just driving by it it almost looks like it's just another parking lot. Although it's a bit separated from the other parking area because of Scull Creek.

Archived