Best places to live in Atlanta

Andrea

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairlie Poplar would be my pick. It's the most urban and walklble area of Atlanta and that area is starting to pick up steam. Cabbagetown (where I believe Teshadoh lives) would be a cool place too.

-Teshadoh, correct me if I'm wrong

Let's see, the three places I would live in Atlanta and why.

If money was no object......

The Mount Paran District. While not urban in any form or fashion, it is a true estate oasis close to Buckhead. If you were to take a drive through this area, you would be hard pressed to believe that Buckhead is a mere 5 to 7 miles to the east.

If I didn't have so many children.....

A Midtown or possibly a Buckhead highrise condo. The views, the convenience, the location. Need I say more.

If I was younger....

Virginia Highlands or some of the cool new developments in East Atlanta. This area is so bohemian...well parts of it. It is also pretty trendy.

I think it sort of depends on what you're looking for, too. Like, I'm old and have somehow accumulated a lot of crap to haul around and I need some place to store all that junk. I also have a dog and grandchildren and a truck that have to be put somewhere. So a house works good for me.

If I didn't have all this materiel to deal with, I'd be interested in a condo in Midtown or Buckhead. My Dad worked Downtown all his life, he and my Mom met there, and I worked there for years, too, so it really has a special place in my heart. However, I think I am probably too lazy to live there now.

With the possible exception of Downtown, I think you will probably need a car (or at least part time access to a car) in most Atlanta neighborhoods. So I would look for an area with nearby, high quality retail. I like to cook so I like a place that has really good grocery stores, fresh food markets, and wine shops. You may need to drive but in some parts of town you will only have to drive a mile or two to get things done. I also want to be somewhere I can walk to restaurants, bars, bookstores and coffee shops.

If you've got kids you also need to think about schools and play areas, of course.

I also like to be in a place where I can quickly get to work and other parts of town, preferably on surface streets or public transit. Atlanta is so spread out, and one night you may have dinner in Cabbagetown and the next night you're meeting friends on Holcomb Bridge Road. I also like to be near colleges and medical centers. I need to be able to get downtown and to the airport quickly.

Because of my particular leanings, my preferences are probably Buckhead, Decatur and Morningside/Lenox Park. I'd love to live in Ansley and that would be on my list if cost were no object. Obviously there are many, many other fantastic neighborhoods and I've lived everywhere from Oakland City to East Lake to VA-Highland, and have been happy in all of them. But because of the amenities and convenience I'd probably give those three areas a slight edge.

My top three places to live in metro Atlanta would be as follows:

1. Smyrna - The Jonquil city has been undergoing a transformation in the last few years and is really beginning to blossom in a big way. There are some beautiful residential developments going on in several areas, and The Village Green is a beautiful hub for the city.

2. Cartersville - I had the great pleasure of living in this fine city for about a year after graduating from college while I tried to figure out what to do with my life. It's an absolutely beautiful area of the state, and far enough to the northern part of metro Atlanta to have small-town charm. It also has an awesome pub, M'Vorneen's Irish Pub. I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to try out an "authentic" Irish pub.

3. Gwinnett County - Having visited a couple of friends in this county a few years ago, I am impressed with the beauty of the area and many of its residential and commercial districts.

3. Gwinnett County - Having visited a couple of friends in this county a few years ago, I am impressed with the beauty of the area and many of its residential and commercial districts.

Really? Gosh, i'm stunned! That's like the first person on here to say Gwinnett was a beautiful area. Good for you and and saying that! :thumbsup:

I would have to say Midtown (If I had the money). Nidtown is so perfect for me that I can't even describe in words why I love it so much. I've always found liking in highrise condos, as well as those really nice homes around Piedmont Park. The restaurants, stores, livelyness is what triggers my affection to that aea.

If not midtown, it would be downtown .It would have to be some loft or highrise-condo near Centennial Park. That area will be out-of-sight in a couple of years.

1. Smyrna - The Jonquil city has been undergoing a transformation in the last few years and is really beginning to blossom in a big way. There are some beautiful residential developments going on in several areas, and The Village Green is a beautiful hub for the city.

2. Cartersville - I had the great pleasure of living in this fine city for about a year after graduating from college while I tried to figure out what to do with my life. It's an absolutely beautiful area of the state, and far enough to the northern part of metro Atlanta to have small-town charm. It also has an awesome pub, M'Vorneen's Irish Pub. I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to try out an "authentic" Irish pub.

Having lived in Murfressboro (& Brentwood) - Marietta reminds me more of Murfreesboro. But nearby Smyrna has undergone massive changes - basically it is being fully torn down & replaced with 'Vining' housing.

Regarding Gwinnett, ok - if you say so. ;)

But nearby Smyrna has undergone massive changes - basically it is being fully torn down & replaced with 'Vining' housing.

That's my hood, affectionately nicknamed "Smyrnings." My Top 3 places would be a condo in...

1. Midtown

2. central Buckhead/Lenox area

3. Brookhaven (Peachtree Hills, South Buckhead or whatever it's called)

Wait a minute.......I thought we could only choose best places to live in Atlanta......you know Atlanta proper. If that's the case then my number three would be different.

Wait a minute.......I thought we could only choose best places to live in Atlanta......you know Atlanta proper. If that's the case then my number three would be different.

Well, yes, that's what I was contemplating when I started the thread. But I guess if we include the greater metro area that opens up a zillion possibilities.

I don't want to divert from the topic, but I must ask a question. What is wrong with Gwinnett? I happen to like it also. Is it something about it that one should be warned of?

Well, the traffic is mindboggling but other than that I don't think there's anything at all wrong with Gwinnett County. Gwinnett's massive growth is often cited as a prime example of uncontrolled suburban sprawl, yet the fact is that in the last twenty years it has been one of the most popular places to live in the entire country.

Although Gwinnett is very suburban, if that's what you're looking for and you don't mind dealing with ultra heavy traffic and fairly long commutes, it could be right for you. Over 700,000 people have made it their choice.

Regarding Gwinnett, ok - if you say so. ;)

This is what my wife said as well, mostly referring to the traffic. I have spent only a very small amount of time in Gwinnett County relative to my time spent in other parts of metro Atlanta, but I've enjoyed the times I went there with the exception of the aforementioned traffic.

Well, yes, that's what I was contemplating when I started the thread. But I guess if we include the greater metro area that opens up a zillion possibilities.

I apologize if I misunderstood your instructions. I took the phrase "metro area" to mean any place in Atlanta's MSA, of which Bartow, Cobb, and Gwinnett counties are parts.

No Relient J, it is me who must apologize. I read the title of the thread and immediately answered. When I saw your latest response, I went back and read the first post and YOU are correct. She said metro Atlanta. Every choice you listed is in fact metro Atlanta so you were valid in all your choices.....which while may not work for me....are great choices nonetheless.

Let's see, the three places I would live in Atlanta and why.

If money was no object......

The Mount Paran District. While not urban in any form or fashion, it is a true estate oasis close to Buckhead. If you were to take a drive through this area, you would be hard pressed to believe that Buckhead is a mere 5 to 7 miles to the east.

If I didn't have so many children.....

A Midtown or possibly a Buckhead highrise condo. The views, the convenience, the location. Need I say more.

If I was younger....

Virginia Highlands or some of the cool new developments in East Atlanta. This area is so bohemian...well parts of it. It is also pretty trendy.

After rereading the initial instructions, my choices have changed.

1) The Mount Paran district of Buckhead. - same reason as above

2) Where I live now. - great schools, close proximity to shopping, Chattahoochee River, great schools, recreation possibilities, proximity to the mountains, great schools, kinda off the beaten path.

3) A midtown or Buckhead highrise condo. -same as above.

Thanks Andrea, but I really don't have a problem with traffic unless I'm late for something (which is rare because I'm very time oriented).

Lady Celeste, what area do you live in? The reason I'm asking is because your preferences match what I would want in a place to live (although I do not plan on having any kids any time soon whatsoever)

Lady Celeste, what area do you live in? The reason I'm asking is because your preferences match what I would want in a place to live (although I do not plan on having any kids any time soon whatsoever)

It's what some would call suburban hell, lol. If incorporated, it's what would be known as John's Creek. It's inbetween the cities of Alpharetta and Duluth.

Archived