Best locations to work in Atlanta

Andrea

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it's like these days but I used to work in the Buckhead Village, and it was like stepping into a time capsule. Very much a small town atmosphere, but still very complete and sophisticated. You could walk to the doctor or dentist, the cleaners, the drug store, clothing stores, galleries, banks, you name it. There were also maybe a hundred restaurants and pubs, a pool hall, several jewelers, two motorcycle shops, a chainsaw repair place, bookstores, a zillion hair salons and car repair shops, a bunch of antique stores and a massage parlor. Very funky and unpredictable, but also a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've mentioned before how many businesses used to consider it critical to be near Five Points, and that people were aghast when Alston & Bird announced it was moving to Midtown in 1987.

I ran across this quote in a recent article in the Business Chronicle which shows how downtown-centric the city was just a few decades ago. Even moving as far north as Peachtree Center was considered extremely risky!

:lol:

Downtown law firms high on submarket

[Tom]Carlock, a partner at Carlock, Copeland, Semler & Stair LLP, the city's 17th-largest law firm, remembers when his firm moved into Peachtree Center in 1970.

"We were told we were too far from the courthouse and would go broke," he said. "Very few attorneys were farther north than the Equitable building at that time. So obviously things have a way of changing."

Wow. I find it hard to believe Peachtree Center was not even considered Downtown in the 70's. With that mindset, moving to an office out in Perimeter Center (was it even around then?) or Alpharetta must've been seen as far removed as relocating to Chattanooga, lol. I wouldn't even consider driving from Peachtree Center to Five Points (unless it was raining and I had no umbrella and didn't have to pay to park at a lot/garage in that area). By the time the blob crosses the Alabama border hopefully my 'hood (Cumberland) will be considered intown. :)

Wow. I find it hard to believe Peachtree Center was not even considered Downtown in the 70's. With that mindset, moving to an office out in Perimeter Center (was it even around then?) or Alpharetta must've been seen as far removed as relocating to Chattanooga, lol. I wouldn't even consider driving from Peachtree Center to Five Points (unless it was raining and I had no umbrella and didn't have to pay to park at a lot/garage in that area). By the time the blob crosses the Alabama border hopefully my 'hood (Cumberland) will be considered intown. :)

Well, I don't think anybody would have driven from Five Points to Peachtree Center, but Peachtree Center was definitely beyond what people would have viewed as the core business district. Being close to Five Points was a major prestige factor.

HybridONE - I hate to tell you, but you are already considered to be "close-in". Look at all of the development outside the Perimeter that has the name "Vinings" somewhere in it's moniker. You guys are getting the opera by the way!

My next door neighbor is a lovely retired woman that grew up in Midtown, and I'm guessing she's in her late 70's. Some of the stories she tells me are totally fascinating. According to her, when Davisons (old Macy's) built the "new" store at Peachtree and Ellis, her mother - along with most of the city- thought they were out of their minds for locating so far from the core of 5 points. Back in those days, the mansion district started right above there, and went all the way out to Brookwood. Amazing..............

Archived