Virginia Coffee House

rusthebuss

Quickly to the marriage amendment issue, IMO religious doctrine has no place dictating the parameters of civil contracts made between two consenting adults. I can tolerate someone's viewpoint that religion is important and that they personally don't like the idea of same-sex marriage, but if it's not their contract and they're not a party directly involved in it, I believe they have no say in it.

To Rummy stepping down, indeed too little too late. It should have happened in 2003.

I'm gay! I just hope that the people get their senses back, and realize what they are doing is equivalent to the suppression of minorities in the past. This issue is going to play out just like the civil rights period. The US is going to be the last developed country to recognize the rights of gay people, just as we were the last to recognize women and blacks. As a country, we're moving backwards. We gay people are not going anywhere, it's our country too. The United States was founded on the premises of freedom from persecution and the rights of the minority. I PRAY TO GOD, yea, that's right, GOD, that when I meet the man that I love, and want to share my life with, I will be able to get married. The government should issue civil unions to everyone who wants them, and churches can decide who they allow to get married. Church and state were made separate for a reason, when did we decide to change that? Maybe we should get a little more violent and stop being so nice, anyone want to march on Richmond? Washington? We can look at all the nice buildings while we're protesting.

Edited by cpeakesqr

I'm gay! I just hope that the people get their senses back, and realize what they are doing is equivalent to the suppression of minorities in the past. This issue is going to play out just like the civil rights period. The US is going to be the last developed country to recognize the rights of gay people, just as we were the last to recognize women and blacks. As a country, we're moving backwards. We gay people are not going anywhere, it's our country too. The United States was founded on the premises of freedom from persecution and the rights of the minority. I PRAY TO GOD, yea, that's right, GOD, that when I meet the man that I love, and want to share my life with, I will be able to get married. The government should issue civil unions to everyone who wants them, and churches can decide who they allow to get married. Church and state were made separate for a reason, when did we decide to change that? Everyone needs to quit hating on gay people, I don't hate straight people. Maybe we should get a little more violent and stop being so nice, anyone want to march on Richmond? Washington? We can look at all the nice buildings while we're protesting.

There's a HUGE difference between HATING a gay person and disagreeing with them. I hate it people come to that irrational conclusion. I do not hate gays at all, as a matter of fact, I have gay friends. I just don't agree with their lifestyle. So stop hating on straights, because we don't hate on you.

This is going too far. You have plainly stated your opinion on the matter, it's not necessary for you to criticize others for stating theirs. Nobody is suggesting that you are not entitled to your opinion so show the other forumers here the same respect. And BTW, the only "straight" that you can speak for is yourself.

I highly suggest that you refrain from directly accusing other forumers here of hate here again.

Accusations of "hating" are the biggest misconceptions about straights. I bet you will have a hard time finding a single straight person who really hates gays. I sure know i DO NOT hate gays. Gays are often the most friendly people you'll find. Like I said, I have gay friends. Disagreement is not hate, and I have never hated on this forum. I just have a hard time when people use the term "hating" to describe differing opinions. There is a difference.

It's called tolerance.

Edited by okinawatyphoon

My ex-best friend hates gay people! I believe he said something along the lines of, "... they should shoot every one of them!" I wasn't saying anyone in the forum was a "hater", so I took it out of my previous post. I don't know why it's too much to ask for you to 'tolerate' gay marriage.

Edited by cpeakesqr

I don't want to stoke the fire, but being gay is not a lifestyle. Thats where many people get it wrong. You can go your whole life abstaining from sex and still be gay or straight. You can live your whole life with someone of the opposite sex and be gay. Unfortunately people believe the stereotypes that gay people are all sex crazed drug addicts (if thats what you mean by lifestyle). I don't know if you hate gay people or not, only you know that. We can all just agree to disagree and not turn this ugly.

Sorry Okinawa!!! I wasn't calling you a hater, I didn't even read your previous posts. I did not intend for anyone to take offense or to cause such a raucous. BUT, from a gay perspective... I am my lifestyle, and my lifestyle is me. It's biological... if I wasn't interested in other things I would pursue a career in biology and genetics and someday prove it. I can't change how I feel, but the opposition can, and that's the only way this issue will ever be resolved.

Edited by cpeakesqr

Hey guys, this isn't really my forum, but I just read that the Associated Press is declaring Jim Webb the winner of the Virginia Senate race over George Allen, handing Democrats a majority in the US Senate.

Webb wins in Virginia, Democrats take control of Senate

This of course comes after Tim Kaine's fairly convincing win in the 2005 Governor's race.

Virginia has a reputation as being a very solid red state, having voted for Republicans in every presidential election since 1964. But I think it's too often lumped together with the rest of the South, while in reality it's significantly more moderate than say, Alabama.

I've been to Virgina a bzillion times, and even lived in Alexandria for a few months, but don't know much about the state's politics. So do you guys think the state is trending Democratic overall or have the last couple elections been just flukes?

No, I think the negative campaining and controversial issues on both sides affected the outcome for this senatorial election. The republicans still have senior Senator John Warner and Congresswoman Thelma Drake.

I think it's kind of oblique, if I may, how Va has historically voted Republican for presidents, but Democrate for Governors. I my lifetime, or what I can politacally remember anyways, VA voted in Governors Wilder-D, Allen-R, Warner-D, and Kaine-D. And presidents Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 're-election atempt, Dole, Bush 43, and re-election.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When it comes to politics this state is very diverse. You have to realize that Webb is really a Republican. Our Democratic Governors are fairly moderate. With the Liberals in the North, the moderate to liberals in central VA, the moderates in the Southeast, and conservatives everywhere else ; you get a widespread viewpoint. Webb will most likely vote with republicans on most issues.