Virginia Coffee House

rusthebuss

Yeah, all of the candidates were vocal for mass transit and rail infrastructure, but my eventually went to Moran because of his opposition to off-shore drilling and his vow to make Virginia 25% renewable energy by 2025. I'm not mad Deeds won, I just really hope he doesn't allow oil drilling off the coast. I'm in the water almost everyday!

• 2 months later...

Now we have Thesisgate... So McDonnell wrote his Master's thesis on the decline of the American family unit and the Republican prescription. From what I read, it could have been written by Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell themselves. According to a 34 year-old McDonnell, working women, gays, "fornicators", day-care, and of course Democrats have destroyed the family and are destroying America. Doesn't sound much different from today's Republican party-line, so how much has he really changed his views?

Read for yourself...LINK

Now we have Thesisgate... So McDonnell wrote his Master's thesis on the decline of the American family unit and the Republican prescription. From what I read, it could have been written by Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell themselves. According to a 34 year-old McDonnell, working women, gays, "fornicators", day-care, and of course Democrats have destroyed the family and are destroying America. Doesn't sound much different from today's Republican party-line, so how much has he really changed his views?

Read for yourself...LINK

Ok, so as the race is heating up...the biggest issue for me is absolutely offshore drilling. This is partly because I surf nearly everyday and the Chesapeake Bay is as polluted as it is... But both canidates are acting if favor of the drilling. Although Deeds go so far as include special regulations and limitations, and an emphasis on wind farms!!! But McDonnell says “I’m a strong supporter of drilling offshore in Virginia,” he said to diners’ applause.

“Virginia is going to be the first state to drill offshore in 2011. It’s already set.

“I will be the governor that will see that through,”

Now I've been doing a lot of research about the reality of offshore drilling...and everything I've read (and professors I've spoken to) say there is no way to avoid a certain level of oil spill and pollution. This is not the investment I wish for my kids some day...nor for my future health. I'm already being exposed to enough carcinogens as it is.

So I'm still going to do some more research on Deed's plan...but right now McDonnell is scratched off my ballot!!!!

[Offshore oil production involves environmental risks, most notably oil spills from oil tankers or pipelines transporting oil from the platform to onshore facilities, and from leaks and accidents on the platform.[1] Produced water is also generated, which is excess water from well drilling or production and includes varying amounts of oil, drilling fluid or other chemicals used in, or resulting from, oil production. A platform is typically given a quota of produced water which may be emptied into the ocean. According to the organization Culture Change,[2] a Gulf of Mexico rig dumps about 90,000 tons of drilling fluid and metal cuttings over its lifetime, with its wells also contributing with heavy metals. The platforms themselves also present a problem when discontinued. See ecological effects of oil platforms.]

Edited by mlsimons

• 1 month later...

Well, I voted today (holding my nose the entire time <_<). We just didn't have any good candidates this year. Turnout was light, which means that McDonnell likely has this one in the bag. I just hope he uses his majorities in both house to actually get something done with transportation, i'm doubtful that this will happen though. More likely or not that social agenda of his that stayed suspiciously hidden during the length of the campaign will rear it's ugly head once in office, to the detriment of all else. I would love to be wrong on this though. :(

Well, I voted today (holding my nose the entire time dry.gif). We just didn't have any good candidates this year. Turnout was light, which means that McDonnell likely has this one in the bag. I just hope he uses his majorities in both house to actually get something done with transportation, i'm doubtful that this will happen though. More likely or not that social agenda of his that stayed suspiciously hidden during the length of the campaign will rear it's ugly head once in office, to the detriment of all else. I would love to be wrong on this though. sad.gif

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...