Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Would this be better for RDU Commuter Rail

10 posts in this topic

I would guess that the economics, combined with the terrain and the existing infrastructure, might have been the reasons behind choosing DMU instead. I really don't know much about the costs involved, but the diesel/electric light rail sounds great, too.

That's because NC state government was too busy making promises and pretending everything was going well. In the meantime, NC DOT was too busy getting corrupted. Now, they have finally gotten theirs acts together, plus more and more local officials are aware about the ills of urban sprawl. Let's hope that the good plans will be delivered.

"A lot" would be an understatement. The entire budget crisis only surfaced in the last few years. Those who paid close attention to the budget handling before then, aren't really amazed with the current situation, but the damage has already been done. I can't quantify the damage, but I am sure we would get scared if someone could give us the total in dollars. DOT went through some really troubled times, with lots of corruption and mismanagement. To their credit, they have been trying hard to fix things and I hope that they'll succeed in clearing up their name.

I think it costs about $15 million per mile of track or so. Seems advantageous to tap into the federal government's money of the US, as opposed to in other countries unless that's a misconception.