Best BBall Conference in the NCAA?

PghUSA

I think the BigTen has been easy to overlook, but come tourney time, at least over the past seven or eight years, there seem to be quite a few BigTen teams that make it to make the Final Four. Just off the top of my head, I think the temas to make it include Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Indiana. I don't know of many conferences that have this kind of balance. Big East is the same way, but the ACC is generally UNC, Duke, and a battle for third place.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the BigTen has been easy to overlook, but come tourney time, at least over the past seven or eight years, there seem to be quite a few BigTen teams that make it to make the Final Four. Just off the top of my head, I think the temas to make it include Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Indiana. I don't know of many conferences that have this kind of balance. Big East is the same way, but the ACC is generally UNC, Duke, and a battle for third place.

• 3 weeks later...
Just fine...we should be back at #1 by the break. Besides why is it UNC/Duke always play some of the toughest schedules...and people wonder why there has been so much success. You don't win year in year out by playing cupcakes and D-2 schools before January. Oh well bring on Kentucky.

Guys guys guys, come on now, settle down, while the ACC has a slight edge statistically over the BE, they both pretty much dominate all the others. Remove UCLA's eight gazillion consecutive titles and the PAC10 is quite low on the list.

On an aside, I wonder if anyone has a breakdown of titles and Final 4, Sweet 16 and tourny appearances by state, to settle the whole basketball state question. Is it really NC with UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake Forest and occasionally UNCC and ECU, or is that just popular appearance/hype?

Right, so since NC lost to Gonzaga that means the WCC is better than the ACC? And since Duke already lost to Marquette, the Big East is now better again, right? You're using backwards logic after only a few games....

So since your doing it:

Providence (not ranked) beats BC(ranked)

Pitt (ranked) beats FSU (not ranked)

ND (not ranked) beats Maryland (ranked)

Marquette (ranked) beats Duke (ranked)

Maryland (ranked) beats St Johns(not ranked)

Duke (ranked) beats Georgetown (ranked)

BE 4-2 over ACC, 2 nonranked BE teams beat 2 ranked ACC teams.

Only one ranked BE team goes down, and St Johns should be a high school team....

I fail to see the big deal, that's basketball, losses aren't so important as in other sports, as long as they are ket at a minimum. And don't know that I would keep a tally of BE vs. ACC as the BE has more teams, and had twice as many up until 2 years ago.

How is a head to head comparison unfair? Two non-ranked Big East teams have beaten two ranked ACC teams straight up. What does the number of teams the BE has have to do with anything? I'm not comparing all records, I'm comparing conference versus conference head-to-head. The ACC guys have been crowing because they won the ACC/Big 10 challenge, isn't that a head-to-head comparison? Get real guys...

How is a head to head comparison unfair? Two non-ranked Big East teams have beaten two ranked ACC teams straight up. What does the number of teams the BE has have to do with anything? I'm not comparing all records, I'm comparing conference versus conference head-to-head. The ACC guys have been crowing because they won the ACC/Big 10 challenge, isn't that a head-to-head comparison? Get real guys...

Conference head-to-head records through todays games. While I don't think this is the end all way to determine the best conference, it is something interesting to look at.

Pac 10

- vs ACC: 1-1

- vs Big 10: 2-1

- vs Big 12: 3-1

- vs Big East: 2-0

- vs SEC: 1-1

Total: 10-4 .714

ACC

- vs Big 10: 10-3

- vs Big 12: 0-0

- vs Big East: 2-5

- vs Pac 10: 1-1