Best BBall Conference in the NCAA?

PghUSA

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats the thing. The big sports are pretty even... but all the non-revenue sports; rifling, bowling, skiing, gymnastics etc... are owned by the PAC10 and Ivy league really. Also it is funny hwo the Big12/Big 8/SWC has owned werstling for so long.

A few notes on the subject of conferences and championships: The Pac 10 has 16 sponsored sports and the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation sponsors 9 sports. There are Pac 10 members that are members of the MPSF and all of the championships for Men's Gymnastics, Men's and Women's Water Polo, Men's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Indoor Track, and Women's Lacrosse by Pac 10 schools should not be counted as championships for the Pac 10. They are not sponsored by the Pac 10.

Small NCAA Sponsored Sports:

Archery 3 Women's 1 Men's

Synchronized Swimming 5 Women's Ohio State wins most every year

Sailing 8 Men's

Equestrian 10 Women's

Squash 7 Women's 8 Men's

Skiing 14 Women's 12 Men's

Fencing 26 Women's 21 Men's Penn State wins both most every year

Ice Hockey 29 Women's 59 Men's

Gymnastics 66 Women's 20 Men's

Water Polo 23 Women's 30 Men's UCLA gets these

Field Hockey 29 Women's

Rowing 83 Women's 24 Men's

Lacrosse 75 Women's 55 Men's

A few notes on the subject of conferences and championships: The Pac 10 has 16 sponsored sports and the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation sponsors 9 sports. There are Pac 10 members that are members of the MPSF and all of the championships for Men's Gymnastics, Men's and Women's Water Polo, Men's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Indoor Track, and Women's Lacrosse by Pac 10 schools should not be counted as championships for the Pac 10. They are not sponsored by the Pac 10.

Small NCAA Sponsored Sports:

Archery 3 Women's 1 Men's

Synchronized Swimming 5 Women's Ohio State wins most every year

Sailing 8 Men's

Equestrian 10 Women's

Squash 7 Women's 8 Men's

Skiing 14 Women's 12 Men's

Fencing 26 Women's 21 Men's Penn State wins both most every year

Ice Hockey 29 Women's 59 Men's

Gymnastics 66 Women's 20 Men's

Water Polo 23 Women's 30 Men's UCLA gets these

Field Hockey 29 Women's

Rowing 83 Women's 24 Men's

Lacrosse 75 Women's 55 Men's

yea it is surprsing. I mean i can understand the cold northeast north central etc playing hockey, and south really going things like wrestling and gymnastics. I mean when you see the results... its always an SEC or ACC school basically winning. I guess climate/cultural differences make the difference? I was also surprised to see SEC doesn't have soccer as a sport. Is it because of title IX or is it just because not a lot of interest?

yea it is surprsing. I mean i can understand the cold northeast north central etc playing hockey, and south really going things like wrestling and gymnastics. I mean when you see the results... its always an SEC or ACC school basically winning. I guess climate/cultural differences make the difference? I was also surprised to see SEC doesn't have soccer as a sport. Is it because of title IX or is it just because not a lot of interest?

Well, the best conference in NCAA BB overall is the ACC. The last two years have been an abberation on a historical basis.

FB is more difficult to quantify since there is no NCAA champion, just polls. You'd get plenty of arguments from schools like Auburn and LSU that polls aren't the best way to decide these things.

Well, the best conference in NCAA BB overall is the ACC. The last two years have been an abberation on a historical basis.

FB is more difficult to quantify since there is no NCAA champion, just polls. You'd get plenty of arguments from schools like Auburn and LSU that polls aren't the best way to decide these things.

2006 was the first year BCS was the official championships.. but again it is just a combination of polls. Normally they have AP USAtoday etc and BCS since 1998, but this year NCAA only recognized the BCS... I really hope they get a playoff for FB.

The SEC is behind a playoff for football now. There is still a lot to go through before it can happen. The biggest is that the PAC 10, Big 10, and Rose Bowl are firmly against it.

Side note: The SEC's only team to field a Bowling Team, Vanderbilt, Won the National championship in Bowling.

Archived