Horry County Farmers are worried

Jerseyman4

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...stories like this are pretty sad. It's always difficult to know what to say in such cases. One person's definition of "progress" is the opposite of another person's. Farms are on the decline in SC, both in number and in total acreage, and this will most likely continue as the state moves more away from an agrarian economy. I guess the best one might be able to say is that I-73 should prove to be a real boon to the area, otherwise, creating LOTS of new development and jobs in NE SC, which happens to be a very "economically challenged" area of the state. I know that's no comfort to someone who has spent a 1/2 century working his land, though...

But those jobs will most certainly be retail jobs, which unfortunately for those with a lack of education / skills are the only option in today's US economy. I would imagine the exits from I-95 will be littered with outlet centers & discount hotels.

Bummer... because I don't see any of the counties enforcing any land use code to prevent it.

• 3 months later...

But those jobs will most certainly be retail jobs, which unfortunately for those with a lack of education / skills are the only option in today's US economy. I would imagine the exits from I-95 will be littered with outlet centers & discount hotels.

Given the history of land use in Myrtle Beach and in S.C. in general, it's pretty easy to predict that I-73 will be a MAJOR eyesore. I predict this interstate will be a national poster child for irresponsible development that still takes place in a day and age when we should be conserving energy and green space. And it make it worse, it's our tax dollars that make it all possible. :sick:

Archived