Special Treatment for Motorcycles

Jerseyman4

SC highways will no doubt become dieways if this law passes the SC State Senate. More from WPDE.

Why should motorcycles be allowed to run a solid red light after waiting? Saftey is supposebly a top priority to SC law enforcement and SCDOT. As an alternative to this idea to benefit ALL motorists of ALL vehicles, why not set many traffic signals to flashing mode after midnight statewide? Each traffic signal would be studied to determine if its safe.

That to me is a better idea than giving special treatment.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a motorcyclist (who wears a helmet), I think it is a good idea. The article pointed out the major problem that bikes are not heavy enough to trigger the light changes. Believe me you can sit there and the light simply will not change. What do you do if no car pulls up behind you to trip the switch? Eventually you just have to go, so it would be nice if it were legal.

And what if a car comes out of nowhere that you didn't see before crossing the intersection? What about inclement weather? Although I can see the motorcyclist's point of view, there are too many dangers associated with such a proposal.

And the alternative is to sit there for several hours or overnight waiting for the light to change? Or, do you break the law and go ahead and make that turn?

As a motorcyclist (who wears a helmet), I think it is a good idea. The article pointed out the major problem that bikes are not heavy enough to trigger the light changes. Believe me you can sit there and the light simply will not change. What do you do if no car pulls up behind you to trip the switch? Eventually you just have to go, so it would be nice if it were legal.

Exactly. Many other state's have this law in place, and besides, there is not much alternative when it comes to rural roads, which is usually where this applies. The law would specifically say that its ok to turn left if you can clearly see that no traffic is coming. I have no problem with this, and I wouldn't mind seeing it for cars as well- though I don't expect to see that happen.

Archived