Peter's Creek Northside

twincity

The sunday journals always have ineteresting articles about the city. this isnt really news, but simple observation of one of the city's busiest roads. everytime i drive down peters creek, i see an abundace of potential and wonder why no one has recognized it yet. the road starts at downtown and ends at the fastest growing area in forsyth county. the lanes are wide, the intersections are up to standard, and its the link between green Bus-40 and I-40. just by these alone, this should be the healthiest roadd in the city, right?

some strides have been made in bringing business back to the road. marketplace just got a facelift, a 2 dollar theater opened up, a couple new restaurants and thats about it. old office building remain abandoned and so does storefronts.

so right now the only big proposal is the ballpark, which i can only see sparking development towards west end and downtown. should north peters creek parkway stay strictly retail/restaurants...and stripclubs. can u picture residential along this state highway? I can and i think somehing should be done (just like whats happening with Liberty street) to encourage development. what a nice spot to go mixed-use.

article

so it looks like Lowes will be joining Wal-Mart in the new shopping center. i remember a gso forumer saying that Lowes always follow Wal-mart. Guess its true.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Winston is REALLY booming! Over the past few years many stores have located down there like a Baskin Robbin's and Dunkin Donuts, Wendy's, Arby's, Waffle House, Cook Out, a laundromat, Pizza Hut, Graybar (due to failed Unity Place), and a relocation of CVS from across the street on Peters Creek. I don't find the traffic on Peters Creek that bad at all because you have many alternatives to that road. Right as you get above I-40 coming from the south, that is where it starts to get seedy. Parkway Plaza just scares the *&$# out of me during the early parts of the night. There's gangs that hang out around there and just drive up and down that shopping center giving you looks. Academy and Peters Creek is really terrible due to the recent influx of "people" who can't maintain thier own property and thier surroundings. I had a summer job at Triad Dodge washing off cars in the early part of the morning and I went across the street to the Shell to get a energy drink and I lingered over to the Volvo Dealership to take a look around and somebody had pooped right there on the parking lot! :sick: And, no it wasn't an animals. There is trash up and down that drag. But, that area is very vital to the Hispanics and Asians that live around there. It is a very diverse area with many stores that support their cultures. There are tons of Mexican and Chinese restaurants along with a Asian Grocery and a Mexican Grocery. I think the city needs to realize that and support it. Oh twincity, I DEFINITELY know that the baseball park is not going to happen. My friend knows Billy Primm (CEO of Blue Rhino) and he said he doesn't have the funds to support it. Sorry Winston and Peters Creek! :(

But, it's still on the display Board at the Downtown Alliance in the Loewy Building on 4th Street as of December 16, 2005. Maybe they haven't heard he doesn't have the funds?

Billy said he doesn't have the funds as of now but see he does have "friends" who will "loan" him some money. This is no joke, think Sopranos.

Do y'all think with Walmart coming, the old Kmart will go out of business on Peters Creek? Peters Creek needs some sidewalks all the way and one thing that pisses me off is the interchange with I-40, it'

s like a big waste of land use. Getting on Peters Creek from Westbound I-40 is a pain when some people won't let you over so you can get onto Peters Creek south.

Do y'all think with Walmart coming, the old Kmart will go out of business on Peters Creek? Peters Creek needs some sidewalks all the way and one thing that pisses me off is the interchange with I-40, it'

s like a big waste of land use. Getting on Peters Creek from Westbound I-40 is a pain when some people won't let you over so you can get onto Peters Creek south.

Sidewalks on Peters Creek? :sick: that highway is like an interstate and that would terrify me to walk next to it let alone it be RIGHT NEXT to the road. But I do agree with you that the road nees some streetscape. I hate to say this but I think we will be seeing Peters Creek being expanded all the way in the middle and maybe on the outside. It's not that run down yet and the city will widen it to accomadate the new growth. I have a feeling that Peters Creek will be the next Independence Blvd of Winston.

Sidewalks on Peters Creek? :sick: that highway is like an interstate and that would terrify me to walk next to it let alone it be RIGHT NEXT to the road. But I do agree with you that the road nees some streetscape. I hate to say this but I think we will be seeing Peters Creek being expanded all the way in the middle and maybe on the outside. It's not that run down yet and the city will widen it to accomadate the new growth. I have a feeling that Peters Creek will be the next Independence Blvd of Winston.

ME TO but I think we have a long way to go.

Peter's Creek north of I-40 is not like an interstate, my point is the entire city of Winston-Salem lacks sidewalks, Charlotte is already mending its mistakes by letting new developments requiring sidewalks on both sides of the street and putting new sidewalks along already built roads. Peter's Creek shouldn't be anti-pedestrian, it should learn from Charlotte's mistakes and try to not let any be automobile-oriented.

Peter's Creek north of I-40 is not like an interstate, my point is the entire city of Winston-Salem lacks sidewalks, Charlotte is already mending its mistakes by letting new developments requiring sidewalks on both sides of the street and putting new sidewalks along already built roads. Peter's Creek shouldn't be anti-pedestrian, it should learn from Charlotte's mistakes and try to not let any be automobile-oriented.

Now hold on, Winston-Salem doesn't lack sidewalks. There are some on some of the most busiest stretches of roads in the city like Knollwood, Stratford, University, all downtown, MLK, Robinhood, Peace Haven, and even Hanes Mall Blvd. The section that I thought that Peters Creek Pkwy looked like an interstate was the southside BELOW I-40. I do think that K-Mart will g out of business when big W-M comes along. That store is just so crappy and smelly inside that people will go to next biggest thing.

OK, living off Peters Creek Parkway south, I have some things to throw into this discussion! The city and state DOT need to look at residential access points to this road. There are no decelleration or acelleration lanes at Twin Ceders, Wilshire, Laurel Park, or Brannigan Village. There have been NUMEROUS wrecks at these access points, some with fatalities. There was one this morning @ Kesteven road, not sure what happened but there was a station wagon with the front end missing heading southbound and a sedan off the northbound side into someone's backyard!! (not to mention more traffic control/speeding on this road!)

When Wal-Mart was at the planning board, all the W-S DOT rep would say was the he "wasn't aware" of any fatalities on Peter's Creek and that the road could handle approx 30,000 more cars per day. When I drive up and down Peter's Creek and see the makeshift roadside memorials where the wrecks have happened, that comment just infuriates me!

As for other things, I think there will be abundant empty commercial space when Super Wal-Mart opens. I would almost bet that the Southern Family Markets and potentially either Lowes Foods @ Parkway Plaza or Food Lion @ South Park will close in addition to the KMart. This will leave approx 200,000SF of empty decaying commercial space to either be redeveloped or to decay in this corridor. Much needs to be done for Peters Creek between Bus. 40 and Clemmosville Rd. It straddles many working class neighborhoods, the strip clubs near bus 40 have helped to make that area infested with drugs and prostitutes. I wish the city and developers would clear out the riff raff and help make that the prominent strip it used to be (back in the day of Red Lobster being there!)

OK, living off Peters Creek Parkway south, I have some things to throw into this discussion! The city and state DOT need to look at residential access points to this road. There are no decelleration or acelleration lanes at Twin Ceders, Wilshire, Laurel Park, or Brannigan Village. There have been NUMEROUS wrecks at these access points, some with fatalities. There was one this morning @ Kesteven road, not sure what happened but there was a station wagon with the front end missing heading southbound and a sedan off the northbound side into someone's backyard!! (not to mention more traffic control/speeding on this road!)

When Wal-Mart was at the planning board, all the W-S DOT rep would say was the he "wasn't aware" of any fatalities on Peter's Creek and that the road could handle approx 30,000 more cars per day. When I drive up and down Peter's Creek and see the makeshift roadside memorials where the wrecks have happened, that comment just infuriates me!

As for other things, I think there will be abundant empty commercial space when Super Wal-Mart opens. I would almost bet that the Southern Family Markets and potentially either Lowes Foods @ Parkway Plaza or Food Lion @ South Park will close in addition to the KMart. This will leave approx 200,000SF of empty decaying commercial space to either be redeveloped or to decay in this corridor. Much needs to be done for Peters Creek between Bus. 40 and Clemmosville Rd. It straddles many working class neighborhoods, the strip clubs near bus 40 have helped to make that area infested with drugs and prostitutes. I wish the city and developers would clear out the riff raff and help make that the prominent strip it used to be (back in the day of Red Lobster being there!)

I agree with you that the strip clubs have helped in the deterioration of the northern end of Peters Creek. Some on here would like to argue that even if they were given proof right in front of them. <_< I don't find the traffic on Peters Creek that bad on the southern end and I was not aware of how many accidents occured on that stretch. :shok: The KMart plaza will go once big W-M sets up shop. That shopping center has always been kind of junky and is in dire need of a renovation. I would like to see that torn down and new condos or apartments put there.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I know, I posted this in another thread as well. The construction company signs are up where the new Wal-Mart is to be built on Peters Creek. While I don't care as much about the Wal-Mart, I do hope that Lowe's Hardware can work out the deal on the property north of Wal-Mart. Lowe's is like my toy store!!

:yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived