The French Quarter | New Orleans

NCB

I headed into New Orleans today to take a photo trip around the city. I was originally planning on walking around the French Quarter, all of downtown, and Uptown, but due to work on the sidewalks in downtown and rain coming in, my trip was cut a bit short. Though I still made it through the Quarter and lower downtown. :D

Here are my pictures from the French Quarter, enjoy!

The Original House of Blues

IMG_0995.jpg

The Bienville House Hotel

IMG_0996.jpg

The Louisiana Supreme Court Building

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

NOPD Car

IMG_0999.jpg

Looking back at Bank One Center

IMG_1002.jpg

Some French Quarter Shots

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

The Bourbon Orleans Hotel

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

The back of Saint Louis Cathedral

IMG_1011.jpg

Since it's a French Quarter photo thread, I have to post this

BTW, these are not the original street signs for Bourbon and Orleans. Many of the streetsigns for famous New Orleans streets were stolen after Katrina.

IMG_1012.jpg

The street that I was born and raised on. :)

IMG_1013.jpg

Statue of Jesus in the rear courtyard of Saint Louis Cathedral

IMG_1017.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics Nate. You fooled me by putting them over here instead of the Louisiana forum. And I noticed both photobucket and image shack are having problems tonight. I started using flickr to upload my pics. Anyway thanks for sharing the pics. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest when you get the chance.

Here are a few more :D

Looking down through Jackson Square

IMG_1020.jpg

The Statue of former President and New Orleans' loved General Andrew Jackson

IMG_1021.jpg

Andrew Jackson Statue in front of the Saint Louis Cathedral

IMG_1024.jpg

Jackson Square and Saint Louis Cathedral seen from the levee

IMG_1025.jpg

The Cabildo

IMG_1036.jpg

Looking down the Riverfront Streetcar Line Tracks

IMG_1026.jpg

The Crescent City Connection

IMG_1030.jpg

Lower Downtown and the Mississippi River at low tide

IMG_1032.jpg

Looking out over the Mississippi River

IMG_1037.jpg

The Riverfront Line, like the Canal Street Line, is using the Saint Charles Ave. Streetcars because they were not flooded

IMG_1038.jpg

A Saint Charles Ave. Streetcar on the Riverfront Line in front of the Jackson Brewery

IMG_1035.jpg

Cafe Du Monde :D

IMG_1041.jpg

The walkway behing Cafe Du Monde and some French Quarter Shops

IMG_1045.jpg

A street musician at Cafe Du Monde

IMG_1044.jpg

New Orleans

IMG_1042.jpg

Bears Restaurant in the Quarter

IMG_1043.jpg

Looking towards downtown from the Quarter

IMG_1040.jpg

The buggy's lining up outside of Jackson Square.

IMG_1046.jpg

Some French Quarter Shots

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

The Jackson(Jax) Brewery

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

I've always really liked the architecture of the French Quarter. Maybe someone can answer this question for me. I've heard a lot of the wrought iron that you see on the buildings was actually brought about while the city was under the Spanish not the French. Anyone know anything about this?

what is The Cabildo?

The Cabildo was built in 1799, and served as the superior court building to Spain and France when New Orleans was under there rule. It also served as the Louisiana Supreme Court building from 1865 until the early 1900's. It is most famous for being the building where the Louisiana Purchase was officially ratified.

There was actually a major fire that started in the Cabildo in 1988, and at a time the Fire Department was expecting that fire to burn down nearly all of the French Quarter, though it was eventually controlled, and the damaged parts of the Cabildo were re-constructed.

I've always really liked the architecture of the French Quarter. Maybe someone can answer this question for me. I've heard a lot of the wrought iron that you see on the buildings was actually brought about while the city was under the Spanish not the French. Anyone know anything about this?

Much of the original French Quarter was purely French, but burned down in a great fire in 1794 when the city was back under Spanish rule. The Spanish then rebuilt The Quarter with strict new fire codes, which included requiring all houses to be built close to the street, in order to create a fire wall, something that proved to be a very good idea in some later fires. Also as a result most of the architecture that the "French" Quarter" is famous for is actually Spanish. The old French houses had peaked roofs, while the new Spanish had flat roofs, which is what we see in The Quarter today. And of course the balconies and galleries(balconies with roofs on top) are Spanish as well. Though there is still alot of French culture and history in The Quarter. :D

The Cabildo was built in 1799, and served as the superior court building to Spain and France when New Orleans was under there rule. It also served as the Louisiana Supreme Court building from 1865 until the early 1900's. It is most famous for being the building where the Louisiana Purchase was officially ratified.

There was actually a major fire that started in the Cabildo in 1988, and at a time the Fire Department was expecting that fire to burn down nearly all of the French Quarter, though it was eventually controlled, and the damaged parts of the Cabildo were re-constructed.

Much of the original French Quarter was purely French, but burned down in a great fire in 1794 when the city was back under Spanish rule. The Spanish then rebuilt The Quarter with strict new fire codes, which included requiring all houses to be built close to the street, in order to create a fire wall, something that proved to be a very good idea in some later fires. Also as a result most of the architecture that the "French" Quarter" is famous for is actually Spanish. The old French houses had peaked roofs, while the new Spanish had flat roofs, which is what we see in The Quarter today. And of course the balconies and galleries(balconies with roofs on top) are Spanish as well. Though there is still alot of French culture and history in The Quarter. :D

Thanks for all the info Nate. You planning on posting these pics over in the Louisiana forum too?

Thanks for all the info Nate. You planning on posting these pics over in the Louisiana forum too?

No problem, I actually enjoy explaining New Orleans history. :D

I'll definately post these pictures in the Louisiana forum as well. I still have downtown New Orleans picures, and pictures from the heavily devestated area of New Orleans East that I'll upload and post both here and in the LA forum. :)

Excellent pics, NCB! It seems likeNew Orleans is recovering nicely. It's great to see that a lot of the most historical buildings were spared. I love the pics of the street signs such a unique touch! The pictures of the street activity (people or otherwise) were very nice, too. :)

Excellent pics, NCB! It seems likeNew Orleans is recovering nicely. It's great to see that a lot of the most historical buildings were spared. I love the pics of the street signs such a unique touch! The pictures of the street activity (people or otherwise) were very nice, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be a pain in the @$$... but actually, the Cabildo was constructed in 1795-99 as the seat of the Spanish Colonial government in New Orleans. The name of the governing body who met there was the "Illustrious Cabildo" or city council. Over the years, the building also served as the home of the Louisiana Supreme Court. :blush:

I don't mean to be a pain in the @$$... but actually, the Cabildo was constructed in 1795-99 as the seat of the Spanish Colonial government in New Orleans. The name of the governing body who met there was the "Illustrious Cabildo" or city council. Over the years, the building also served as the home of the Louisiana Supreme Court. :blush:

Thanks for the added info, JWR. :D

I wasn't aware that the name of the Spanish governing body who met in the building was called the "Illustrious Cabildo."

^That's what I love about the French Quarter right now as well. When I went back for the first time after Katrina, I was more happy than I thought I would ever be to smell that morning-after smell. ;)

The morning after smell? Please tell me you're not talking about spilt beer and vomit. :lol:

Archived