New Movie: "ATL"

Andrea

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly looks intriguing. I wonder if this will have any detrimental effects on the outside view of the city.

Hate to say it but I think it will. Just look at Ludacris' Georgia Music Video and you'll see why people associate 'A-T-L" with the ghetto. I don't think roller skating in the ATL would appeal to me. it sounds like Saturday Night Fever gone ghetto.

It probably depends on what one means by detrimental. I'm sure the movie is intended to capitalize on the image of Atlanta as a tough, gritty city where cool kids make it to the top by struggling up the hip hop ladder. "Kid battling his way to the top" has always been a popular theme, although the circumstances have been changed countless times.

Hate to say it but I think it will. Just look at Ludacris' Georgia Music Video and you'll see why people associate 'A-T-L" with the ghetto. I don't think roller skating in the ATL would appeal to me. it sounds like Saturday Night Fever gone ghetto.

Give me a break. Rappers from NY or Chicago don't dominate people's perceptions of those cities why would that be the case for Atlanta. Only those interested in this "ghetto" type of entertainment would likely take the time to watch it anyway.

I don't think it looks all that bad. While maybe a little dramatic (aren't all movies), I think it shows an aspect of Atlanta that is very vital to the city.

You have a very good point to that! I would just like to see Atlanta move away from its ghetto stereotyping but if that's what is then more power to them. :thumbsup:

You have a very good point to that! I would just like to see Atlanta move away from its ghetto stereotyping but if that's what is then more power to them. :thumbsup:

Really? Atlanta has a "ghetto" stereotype? From all the places I have travelled and when people ask me where I am from (of course I say Atlanta since most suburban cities don't ring a bell), I never get the impression that Atlanta is ghetto. Most people that I have come in contact with usually equate with either Buckhead or downtown/midtown. I hardly think that this movie would be so far reaching as to totally "taint" someone's idea of Atlanta. If it can then they had such a small mind to begin with.

Really? Atlanta has a "ghetto" stereotype? From all the places I have travelled and when people ask me where I am from (of course I say Atlanta since most suburban cities don't ring a bell), I never get the impression that Atlanta is ghetto. Most people that I have come in contact with usually equate with either Buckhead or downtown/midtown. I hardly think that this movie would be so far reaching as to totally "taint" someone's idea of Atlanta. If it can then they had such a small mind to begin with.

In the realms of pop culture, Atlanta has gained the ghetto stereotype because of hip hop/r&b artists like OutKast. Unfortunately, most people exposed to this stereotype don't realize that there's more to Atlanta than this "ghetto" (and perhaps Coca-Cola and CNN if they are a little more in tune with the world than the others).

I'm not saying I'm ingrateful for this. I'm happy to see Atlanta mentioned so much.

This is stupid to say Atlanta has a reputation of being ghetto, just because of some rappers. Hip hop started in NY and NY doesn't have that reputation, why would Atlanta? The only rep that might be considered negative is that Atlanta is slow and country.

In the realms of pop culture, Atlanta has gained the ghetto stereotype because of hip hop/r&b artists like OutKast. Unfortunately, most people exposed to this stereotype don't realize that there's more to Atlanta than this "ghetto" (and perhaps Coca-Cola and CNN if they are a little more in tune with the world than the others).

I'm not saying I'm ingrateful for this. I'm happy to see Atlanta mentioned so much.

Can someone please help me understand what ghetto means?

Wait.......ghetto doesn't equal black does it? Come on you people........is that what ghetto mean? Ghetto is bad so I hope ghetto does not translate into black in some people's mind. I will say this, only children would think that Atlanta has a "ghetto" reputation....unless you all mean black. In that case, Atlanta had been mostly black for years....but I dearly hope that ghetto doesn't equal black.

As far as someone not knowing that Atlanta is home to Coca~Cola or CNN....or other great attributes...then do we really care what they think. I mean really...how much power and influence could that person possibly have. No matter what color they are, they would be deemed quite ignorant or sheltered at best.

Atlla, I will expand on your thought....back in the 80's when there was gang violence in LA, I highly doubt the moderately to highly educated individual would think that Beverly Hills or Brentwood must be gang ridden also because there was gang violence in South Central. I mean now really....also, when I was young we would travel to Jamaica almost every third year and although there was violence in Kingston, my daddy never feared for our lives in Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. I mean if you fear the "ghetto" element then don't go to where it is....and with this movie now you know.

This is stupid to say Atlanta has a reputation of being ghetto, just because of some rappers. Hip hop started in NY and NY doesn't have that reputation, why would Atlanta? The only rep that might be considered negative is that Atlanta is slow and country.

I'm not saying Atlanta has a reputation for being "ghetto" necessarily. However, people whose only exposure to the city has been through pop culture might think so. They'll certainly be (hopefully) surprised when they find out there's much more to it than this "ghetto".

However, most others seems to think Atlanta is either:

a) Some large "country" town in the Southeast that Sherman burned a few years ago and somehow got to host the Olympics in 1996.

b) Sprawl city (this one has quite a true foundation, but when people just sya it is nothing but sprawl annoys me far more tan saying i was a southern country town)

c) A giant airport with CNN, Coca Cola, and a Gone With the Wind museum located somewhere in it.

d) A great place for conventions but they didn't explore the city enough otherwise

Most people who have been to Atlanta that I have met on my vacations seem to find it very surprising with everything it offers in the ways of shopping, tourism, and nightlife.

Can someone please help me understand what ghetto means?

Wait.......ghetto doesn't equal black does it? Come on you people........is that what ghetto mean? Ghetto is bad so I hope ghetto does not translate into black in some people's mind. I will say this, only children would think that Atlanta has a "ghetto" reputation....unless you all mean black. In that case, Atlanta had been mostly black for years....but I dearly hope that ghetto doesn't equal black.

Not necessarily. I'm thinking more along the lines of lower class, rough, run down neighborhoods. Whether these neighborhoods are mostly black, mostly white, mostly Hispanic, etc. or a mix of groups doesn't really make much difference. As of the past decade (especially) this part of the city has been exploited in pop culture as meaning you are tough, street smart, strong, etc.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Webster's definition of ghetto:

2 : a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure

3 a : an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <stuck in daytime TV's ghetto>

Following this definition, there's quite a lare bit of Atlanta that isn't "ghetto".

BTW: I agree fully with what you said in the second paragraph.

----------------------------------

Whatever the case, I dont think the movie looks that bad. It's not going to be anywhere near Gone With the Wind in terms of fame, but it will make its mark.

The reaction that I got from most people ablout Atlanta when I moved to Chicago was mixed. A lot of the older people that I work with still see it as a hick town, though I think they are mostly kidding, considering there aren't too many sountherners in Chicago. One of my former sales reps (who is African American) even went as far to say that he would be scared to live in Atlanta because he still viewed Atlanta as a "racist" town. That was probably the most offensive and ignorant statement that I had ever heard. Most of the yonger people that I have met though view it as a cool place.

One of my former sales reps (who is African American) even went as far to say that he would be scared to live in Atlanta because he still viewed Atlanta as a "racist" town.

Well, in many ways it probably is, although Chicago is probably even more racially segregated than Atlanta.

Well, in many ways it probably is, although Chicago is probably even more racially segregated than Atlanta.

Chicago is definately more racist and racially segregated than Atlanta. It really isn't a big city that can win over Atlanta when you look at the black/white relations. Look at Buckhead, Beverly Hills, Manhattan, and Gold Coast (Chicago). It's clear which one is more racially diverse in all aspects of life.

If i can share some info... All i know is that TI (for those of you who dont know, he is a rapper from bankhead) is starring in the movie, and stated on a interview on BET Style that he hoped the film would do for Atlanta what Boys in the Hood did for Compton and Menace to Society did for Crenshaw. If you know anything about these films and the coordinating cities, then I guess you can take his statement and draw your own conclusion about the "ghetto" factor.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing this movie. We all know about "business Atlanta" and "Olympic Atlanta",but

I think this movie is even going to show a lot of Atlantans some things they arent acustom to.

Archived