Killer Bees in Arkansas

Mith242

I don't usually hear much about killer bees much anymore. But I did hear a mention of them probably spreading more into the state soon. I think it was mentioned that there are two counties in southwest Arkansas that have already reported having the bees.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look for the lack of cold weather this winter to even enhance their expansion. Also, look out for fire ants moving your way.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the mild winters are helping both spread further into the state. I've heard of fire ants being in parts of southern Arkansas. Anyone know the extend of fire ants in the state?

I forgot one other animal that could spread due to warmer winters. GATORS, they are already in fifty some of the counties in Arkansas. Some of there favorite food is chicken and hogs. Look out NWA.

:lol: Not sure if we have the right type of ecosystem up here though. Course I suppose they wouldn't have to live in swamps or anything. I suppose maybe they could show up in a lake or something.

Fire ants are all over West and Middle Tennessee, and have been for years, so I would guess they're in most of Arkansas outside the Ozarks.

Alligators--they're listed now as indigenous to Shelby County TN (Memphis). My cousins in Forrest City say they're in the St. Francis River near there. I also recall reading an article from the Jonesboro newspaper a couple years ago about some 12 foot gator being found in the Cache River not too far from town.

I guess it's global warming. Armadillos are found as far north as Kansas. When I was a kid, you didn't see them smushed on the road until you got to Louisiana or south Mississippi.

Killer bees were all over the news about ten years ago. They were supposed to wreak havoc on Texas and spread north, terrorizing everyone in their path.

I've been in Texas almost five years and I don't remember ever hearing about an attack of killer bees, nor have I ever considered killer bees a danger when outdoors.

I think the biggest impact of killer bees was a flurry of compelling, frightening investigative tabloid-esque "news" reports from the early 90s.

Fire ants on the other hand...... :shok:

This past summer in Hot Springs, I was constantly fighting off fire ants from my property. Seemed monthly a new mound was popping up. Had one instance where one of my dog's got bite and had to visit the vet for treatment.

Welcome to the Arkansas forum Nj829. I guess I hadn't realized fire ants had made it that far into Arkansas.

Archived