Commuter Rail in New Hampshire

Scott

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Manchester is the biggest city in NNE has 100k+ pop yet there is still no commuter train, they should atleast build one from Concord to Manchester, and they almost need a suburb light rail because of all the events in downtown, the bridges cant hadle it, another lane on Elm wouldnt be bad either, its kinda funny that Burlington(30k+) will get a commuter train befor Manchester (100k+) :rofl: .

Dover itself is not as big but Tri-City (dover,rochester,somersworth) have about 12K more people than Portland. and more people from NH to Mass than people From MN to mass ride the rails , if the railroad didnt have stops in NH it would be pointless.

I hate superlatives that lead to arguments. I'd say that the best cities of N. New England would include, Burlington, Portland, Portsmouth, and several others I have not had a chance to personally evaluate. I live in and love Portland, but that's my personal preference.

But this gets off topic. We need to improve infrstructure in this country, and that would include improved public transportation, and yes, a city the size of Manchester should have a commuter rail connecting it to the major towns in the area

• 3 months later...

Rail backers want state to move ahead on I-93 train

By JEANNE MORRIS

Sunday News Staff

The state has set aside an 18-mile-long lane in the median of Interstate 93 from Manchester to Salem as part of its lane widening project, with an eye toward bringing commuter bus or train service to this heavily traveled corridor at some future date.

But the Conservation Law Foundation New Hampshire Advocacy Center is looking to speed up that timetable by forcing the state to start building a mass transit system immediately through a possible lawsuit.

Foundation attorney Tom Irwin said he believes the state has failed to give a serious look at rail service as part of the highway widening project, and that could provide the legal grounds file a lawsuit at the U.S. District Court in Concord.

Full Article Here.

Archived