Happenings

Here is a rather stunted and somewhat bizarre list of happenings planned for this year in Greenville. It is from UpstateLINK.com, and I noticed several festivals and annual events missing from the compilation. They'll have to get on the ball to add them before they are here and gone, if last year's passing was any indication of the apparent increace in the speed of time.

A few major happenings not listed include:

• BMW Charity Pro-Am
  • Colombian Independence Day
  • Southern Exposure
  • Greater Greenville Scottish Games and Highland Festival

Here is a rather stunted and somewhat bizarre list of happenings planned for this year in Greenville. It is from UpstateLINK.com, and I noticed several festivals and annual events missing from the compilation. They'll have to get on the ball to add them before they are here and gone, if last year's passing was any indication of the apparent increace in the speed of time.

A few major happenings not listed include:

• BMW Charity Pro-Am
  • Colombian Independence Day
  • Southern Exposure
  • Greater Greenville Scottish Games and Highland Festival

Thanks for the link. Great link! I'm printing and posting in my office. There are a few missing, but overall very good! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

If interested the Greenville book, film and discussion group, the Caleb Group, starts its 2007 activities this week with a "Talkback" after a Centre Stage performance and a discussion of Blaise Pascal's Penses at lunch on Wednesday at Coffee Underground.

The Caleb Group

Wednesday, January 17

Coffee Underground

12 noon

(we'll actually start at 12:15, giving you a chance to get something to eat)

Blaise Pascal and some of his Pensees

Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662): child prodigy, gifted mathematician and scientist, inventor and philosopher. This brilliant contemporary of Descartes is best known for his Pensees ["Thoughts"], his unfinished apologia for the Christian faith: a collection of philosophical fragments, notes and essays, published posthumously. (Currently published by Penguin Classics)

Over the next few weeks we'll, first of all, look at the life of Pascal and then discuss some of his key thoughts.

Sunday, January 21st

TALKBACK

I Am My Own Wife

Directed by Brian Haimbach. Starring J. Michael Craig.

Winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize and 2004 TonyAward

Centre-Stage

501 River Steet, Smith-Barney Building

(for ticket information, call 233-6733)

3:00

Based on a true story and inspired by interviews conducted by the playwright over several years, I Am My Own Wife tells the fascinating tale of Charlotte von Mahisdorf, a German transvestite who managed to survive both the Nazi onslaught and the repressive East German Communist regime.

Our TALKBACK will be an opportunity to discuss with Brian Haimbach and J. Michael Craig not only the production itself but also to explore some of the issues it raises. The play is definitely FOR MATURE AUDIENCES.

Since January of 1996 The Caleb Group has been offering the Greenville

community forums for exploring intellectual, moral and ethical issues,

often

• 2 weeks later...

Mad Tea Party at the Bohemian TONIGHT! 10:00.

The word "eclectic" doesn't even begin to define the band Mad Tea Party. The Asheville-based musicians pull influences from old-fashioned string band music, psychedelic rock, classic jazz, and even country-western. Mad Tea Party performs at 10 p.m. at the Bohemian Cafe. Admission is free. Call 233-0006.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The South Carolina International Auto Show returns this year at the Palmetto Expo Center from Jan. 12-15. More info: http://www.motortrendautoshows.com/greenvl/ :thumbsup:

Has anyone gone to this car show? How does it measure up to larger city's car shows? I'm a little spoiled as far as these go cause I grew up in the Detroit area in Michigan and there International Car show is AWSOME!!!!

^^^I go every year. It's obviously not as good as Detroit's, but it's not bad and does have a wide arrange of different car companies with several models of cars you can look at. I even have a photo gallery of all the pics I took at this years auto show here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34383

Edited by g-man430

^^^I go every year. It's obviously not as good as Detroit's, but it's not bad and does have a wide arrange of different car companies with several models of cars you can look at. I even have a photo gallery of all the pics I took at this years auto show here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34383

Thanks for sharing the pictures....that gives me a lot of a better idea....I'll have to check it out next time.....

Return to the Green is this Sunday, March 11th from 1-6 in Falls Park.

The Blarney Bash is on St. Patrick's Day on E. Court Street in front of Connolly's.

Hooray!!!! Return to the Green is the unofficial kick-off to Greenville's long street and park festival season! Artisphere is soon to follow! :yahoo:

I don't know about all of you, but I am extremely excited that Cirque du Soleil is bringing its "Delirium" show to the BI-LO Center in June!!! In case you don't know yet, this is one of the most incredible traveling performances we'll ever see here in Greenville. :yahoo::yahoo:

Here is the official website for the show.

Edited by Skyliner

I don't know about all of you, but I am extremely excited that Cirque du Soleil is bringing its "Delirium" show to the BI-LO Center in June!!! In case you don't know yet, this is one of the most incredible traveling performances we'll ever see here in Greenville. :yahoo::yahoo:

Here is the official website for the show.

This is quite the honor and very exciting! :yahoo: Thanks for the info Skyliner. Normally it's only the Atlanta, Dallas, Houston type cities that get Cirque's traveling show. Not sure, but this may be Cirque's first time in South Carolina. Just got back from some time in Vegas and saw Cirque's new Beattles "Love" show. It was a fantastic merger of their music and the time honored Cirque mystique. :thumbsup:

Can't wait for this one!

Edited by gsupstate

This same show actually came to Columbia last year. It was absolutely incredible! I hope to visit their stationary shows someday, but have seen a few on DVD. I don't know of any show like it for sheer awesomeness. :shades:

Wow. Sounds great, but you better shake and bake me if you think i'm going to pay over 100 dollars to go to this.

You can go for $39.50. That is a real bargain for such an incredible experience. :shades:

Edited by Skyliner

This same show actually came to Columbia last year. It was absolutely incredible! I hope to visit their stationary shows someday, but have seen a few on DVD. I don't know of any show like it for sheer awesomeness. :shades:

You can go for $39.50. That is a real bargain for such an incredible experience. :shades:

...and now it's Greenville's turn to get it. :) The $39.50 is only for two sections: 215 and 225. 215 looks like it's in a sucky spot unless this event will be center stage, but 225 doesn't look bad especially if you have a good pair of binoculars. I saw the video for this on their website and it looked really cool. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430